• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's your beverage of choice?

It's amazing the taste differences that they have with their different distilling areas. I'd love to go on one of those tour of Scotland's distillery's (with a stop in Ireland) but I'm afraid I wouldn't come back.

Yes Sir, think I'd end up staying too.

Those heavily peated Islay varieties are not for everybody. They really separate the Scotch lovers from the casual drinkers...

Finished off the evening, wee early hours of the morning, with a couple fingers of Glenmorangie...

...a lot lighter and sweeter than many varieties, almost like dessert after a heartier Scotch like the Auchentoshan...

It's amazing the taste differences that they have with their different distilling areas. I'd love to go on one of those tour of Scotland's distillery's (with a stop in Ireland) but I'm afraid I wouldn't come back.

@carbinemike ,

Here's a pretty cool map that shows Scotland's distilleries by geography. Note the overwhelming concentration in the eastern Highlands Speyside region. Some of the newer distilleries like Kilchoman aren't on here, but all the classics are represented...

That's a nice map LES, thanks for sharing. Those Scott's have it down to perfection if you ask me. They know how to make the best whisky (no "e") with the geographical differences they are working with. I must say that I didn't appreciate a good whisky until I was about 35. I used to buy Malt Advocate magazine for the beer articles. I read the whisky articles too and learned how to appreciate good whiskey's. All that wasted time. Oh well, live and learn. From the photo below you can see that I have been practicing diligently.
Edit...the bottle doesn't look like the picture anymore.

15614_822677557803874_1957065886936871493_n.jpg

The Macallan is still one of my favorites and the 12 has a permanent place in my bar. The 18 only comes out on special occasions. Been trying to broaden my horizons a bit lately and try some new things. A new high end liquor store opened up down the road a bit and they have a pretty legit selection. They've been able to special order others for me as well...

Here's a drink I love that's in the process of fermenting. It's homebrewed Cyser, fermented cider and honey with some raisins tossed in for good measure (and a bit more alcohol). I started the fermentation yesterday and it should be ready to drink sometime this spring. It will be ok then but it will be great in about a year. I drink last year's batch now and try and keep a year ahead of myself. It's a love it or hate it drink. About 1/2 of guys like it and maybe 10% of the women that try it. It will come in around 15% alcohol. When my parents visit, Mom gets mad at me if she catches me giving Pop some. What's floating on top are some of the raisins. The muck on the bottom is honey and raisins. It has a muddy look that will eventually become a clear golden color.

10994157_10203751713176823_944585703676365737_n.jpg

Here's a drink I love that's in the process of fermenting. It's homebrewed Cyser, fermented cider and honey with some raisins tossed in for good measure (and a bit more alcohol). I started the fermentation yesterday and it should be ready to drink sometime this spring. It will be ok then but it will be great in about a year. I drink last year's batch now and try and keep a year ahead of myself. It's a love it or hate it drink. About 1/2 of guys like it and maybe 10% of the women that try it. It will come in around 15% alcohol. When my parents visit, Mom gets mad at me if she catches me giving Pop some. What's floating on top are some of the raisins. The muck on the bottom is honey and raisins. It has a muddy look that will eventually become a clear golden color.

10994157_10203751713176823_944585703676365737_n.jpg

Nice!!! I made a few gallons of mead once...it was the most delicious drink I had ever tasted. Orange Blossom Mead from an award winning recipe I got from a guy who brews and owns his own brewing supply store up in Willimantic,CT...( http://www.homemadebrew.net/ )
My brother and I have made a good amount of home made wine too. That's a fun time doing that...but I'd rather make mead again...Hmmm...

Awesome Ripjack! It's really not hard to make some great home brewed wines and ciders. Beer is more involved though. You better get brewing. You have all that snow up there...may as well be productive before spring gets here. Now if the gubmint would just let me legally distill for personal use:(

Picked up a new bottle on Friday...

Bruichladdich - The Laddie Sixteen

Bruichladdich is another Islay distillery, but this is one of their unpeated varieties. It's very tasty...

I feel low brow compared to you guys. Not a big drinker at all, I have a Makers Mark on occasion. Have a bottle that has been here for a year and is still half full.

Back