• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BUIS: Back-Up Iron Sights

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Back-Up Iron Sights for your AR-15 or other top-railed firearm? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

Troy BUIS are the go-to for my ARs. I use this combo on my midlength...

Rear Folding Di-Optic BattleSight

Advanced design, superior sighting and battle-ready toughness define Troy Industries’ Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) Folding Rear BattleSight.

These sights provide lightning fast target acquisition and are manufactured to exceed military specs. The optically engineered apertures center your eyes instantly and effortlessly providing a clearer target picture than with round apertures.

The sights feature two settings, one for up to 300 meters and a second for up to 500 meters. This versatility makes the DOA ideal for military, law enforcement and home defense applications. These advanced sights have been extensively field-tested and, like all Troy Industries products, are Battle Ready.

Note: Sight is designed to work on same plane rail systems only. Will not work with a railed gas block that is higher or lower than the receiver.

Features

•Faster target acquisition with Di-Optic Aperture
•Increases accuracy to 550m
•Quick install, easy adjust
•0.460″ profile when folded
•Protected adjustment wheel
•Dual same plane aperture .50 MOA per click
•Aircraft aluminum 6061 & stainless steel
•Type III hard coat w/ black oxide or Flat Dark Earth finish

Front M4 Folding Battlesight

Durability and dead-on accuracy have made Troy Industries Folding BattleSights the hands-down choice of Special Ops and tactical users worldwide. Easy to install and to deploy, with no levers or springs to fumble with, these sights position apertures at exact factory height. A stainless-steel cross-locking system ensures sights remain upright and zeroed under extreme combat conditions. A push of a button folds the sights securely out of the way until you need them again (they fold to a profile of just 0.460). Troy BattleSights feature a zero-canting attachment system for use on all military and aftermarket receivers.

Durability and dead-on accuracy have made Troy Industries M4 Front Folding Sights the hands-down choice of Special Ops and tactical users worldwide.

Features

•No tools are required for adjustment
•Each click equals .50 MOA of adjustment
•Blackened Stainless Steel
•MIL-SPEC Type III Hard Coated
•T6 Aircraft Aluminum construction
•Available in Black and Flat Dark Earth
•Will not work on railed front gas block mounted lower than receiver height
•Made in the USA

I use a Rear Folding Troy BattleSight along with the A2 front post on my carbine as well...

Features:

•No tools are required for adjustment

•Each click equals .50 MOA of adjustment

•Blackened Stainless Steel

•MIL-SPEC Type III Hard Coated

•T6 Aircraft Aluminum construction

•Available in Black and Flat Dark Earth

•Made in the USA

•Spikes Tactical Logo

I agree that Troy is one of two the best out there.

Saltmarsh highly recommends the A.R.M.S 40LP which is probably the other "top tier" BUIS on the market.

I'm just getting into loooking at these.

Troy was one of my top considerations along with Midwest. I've mentioned in my Complete/Assembled AR thread I like the A2 front post, but I'm not dead set on that yet.

My only requirement is that it be gas block height and durable. I'm not easy on my firearms, they are rarely cased. I know the Magpul MBUS wont work, #1 it isnt a gas block mount and #2 its polymer.

I do like the Troy HK style gas block sight;
Troy-BattleSight-Front-GasBlock-Mounting-HK-6_355.jpg

I'm also looking at the Leapers UTG A2 gas block;
ARR-108.jpg

The Leapers is way less expensive and i like the style. Again, I'm not set on this. I may even go with switching to an A2 gas block altogether. It seems in my general lack of experience and knowledge to be more durable.

I'll have to look up the A.R.M.S 40LP.

The A.R.M.S. sights are nice, but they're more expensive than your other options. Their folding front gas block sight runs about $150 by itself. Not bad when you consider it's also a replacement gas block, but there are a lot of other less expensive options.

True and true.

If I'm gonna switch the gas block, i may go that route...

Alrighty!

Now that my AR is ordered, I have decided on sights!

I've met a guy on the OA forum who is selling the ARMS gas block folding sight at a good price, so I'm doin that and I'll use a Magpul MBUS rear!

I'm all about bein patient and searching for the best possible deal and I'm happy with what I've found!

Heres the ARMS® 41-B Folding Front Sight;

DSCN6211.jpg

DSCN6218.jpg

DSCN6221.jpg

And the Magpul (yeah I tasted the koolaid) MBUS rear;

$(KGrHqZ,!jIE6Id952s2BOoG12WGug~~60_35.JPG

I went this route primarily cuz I just really like the look of the A2 front post... I'm goin to need to get a couple tools for the gas block... any suggestions?

I am looking to replace the BUIS that came on my M400. It is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the rifle and seems an afterthought compared to the quality of the rest of the rifle's components. I have some other GG&G components and was looking at this BUIS. I plan to replace the peep sight with my Meprolight night sight appeture.
GGGBUIS.jpg

Please give me your opinions on this.

Nothing wrong with the GG&G, but for my money I'd pay the ten more bucks and go with the Troy Industries BUIS. Their Tritium models come in the usual round dual aperture peep sight variety, and also this ...

Rear Folding Di-Optic Tritium BattleSight: msrp $165

Rear Folding Di-Optic Tritium BattleSight

Advanced design, superior sighting and battle-ready toughness define Troy Industries’ Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) Folding Rear BattleSight. Now acailable with Tritium, a form of hydrogen that emits its own light source, ideal for any low-light shooting situation.

These sights provide lightning fast target acquisition and are manufactured to exceed military specs. The optically engineered apertures center your eyes instantly and effortlessly providing a clearer target picture than with round apertures.

The sights feature two settings, one for up to 300 meters and a second for up to 500 meters. This versatility makes the DOA ideal for military, law enforcement and home defense applications. These advanced sights have been extensively field-tested and, like all Troy Industries products, are Battle Ready.

Note: Sight is designed to work on same plane rail systems only. Will not work with a railed gas block that is higher or lower than the receiver.

Features

•Faster target acquisition with Di-Optic Aperture
•Increases accuracy to 550m
•Quick install, easy adjust
•0.460″ profile when folded
•Protected adjustment wheel
•Dual same plane aperture .50 MOA per click
•Aircraft aluminum 6061 & stainless steel
•Type III hard coat w/ black oxide or Flat Dark Earth finish

I use Troys on all my builds and put this di-optic rear sight on my midlength along with a Troy front flip-down post...

I use the standard non-Tritium variety and these are the best BUIS I've ever used. The di-optic aperture is amazing. The adjustment dial is buit into the side of the unit, so the sight is more sleek and compact than most others with a knob stickin out of the side. For my money, it doesn't get much better than Troy...

Cecil, I like the idea of somethin like the Trijicon tritium replacements for the front and rear!

I wanna at least do the front post...

Be advised that the front sight post is the A1 style with 5 holes, so you will need the A1 sight adjustment tool for installation.

Dang Cecil, just realized you responded here again.

I do infact have the tool for the A1!

I use a scope / BUIS combination. Ideally I go to the scope for anything beyond 15-20 yds. My earlier setup was all on the same plane with BUIS co-witnessed through a Vortex red dot. I went looking for a bit more range and now have a 1.5-4.5 x 32 scope with 45* BUIS on the right. Lining up the iron sights required me to change the rail top gas block that I used for the front sight. The DPMS carbine came with a low gas block that worked fine with the earlier setup - I just added a taller front sight to compensate. Once canted to 45* the geometry was more complicated and the gas block with rail had to be on the same plane - the tall sight had to be replaced with a lower version.

There are some very nice iron sights in this thread - as I am using mine for close in only (with the exception of a scope failure) I went with a more budget minded set of UTG sights. They are well built and accurate at a very good price point. I'm sure that if I looked down a set of Troy sights that I would REALLY want to have them but for now I am shooting well and I didn't break the bank.

Here's the earlier red dot setup with folding sights up:
7045080581_e519259791.jpg

Here's the current setup (the rear iron sight is a little hard to see beside the scope):
7516736584_cd1719546e.jpg

Looking down the BUIS:
7604449318_251e7dda6b.jpg

7604447338_55ccc1f01e.jpg

It is surprisingly easy to tip the gun toward your body a bit and acquire the iron sights - it became second nature very quickly as has switching between the two. there is enough overlap in the 2 systems that in many cases either sight system will work for a given shot.

Most of this prattle is redundant for regulars but I thought it was worthwhile to pull it together for the new thread. :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nothing wrong with the GG&G, but for my money I'd pay the ten more bucks and go with the Troy Industries BUIS. Their Tritium models come in the usual round dual aperture peep sight variety, and also this ...

Rear Folding Di-Optic Tritium BattleSight: msrp $165

Very nice...I have a stripped RRA lower to build on, that BUIS will have to be on it when it's all done.

I really like A.R.M.S too. I may soon switch to a gas block on this Rock River, but for now i have too many other projects (not enough spare $$$$$$)

DSCN5600.JPG

Back