• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BUIS: Back-Up Iron Sights

Good lookin rifle,

I recently picked up another one of these Troy Di-optic rear sights for my current project, this time it's the tritium variety...

Thanks. L.E.S.

DSCN5601ugd.JPG

Im using an Eotech on my Mossy 500, if i use Magpul BUIS, do i need a front sight, or will the bead sight work?

I don't expect you'll be able to see the bead sight at all once the picatinny rail goes on.

If you're wanting to co witness, you'll need means of creating a same plane between the front sight base and rear picatinny.

If I were to go the route of an EOTech on the receiver, id skip the BUIS altogether and get the holosight on paper and fine tune to meet your needs.

SGT. LB said:
Im using an Eotech on my Mossy 500, if i use Magpul BUIS, do i need a front sight, or will the bead sight work?

EOTech or not, to establish a sight plane that is level with the bore axis you'll still need a front sight to use in conjunction with a rear BUIS.

Here's an example of the proper, level sight plane...

arbuis_zpsc3d68f35.jpg

Because the plane created between the front and rear sight is level with the bore axis a relative POA/POI relationship has been established. An EOTech can be added to this set-up and used in a co-witness with the iron sights. Now for the scenario you described...

Mossberg500_zps3eeba312.jpg

Using an elevated rear BUIS with only the front bead will create a sight plane that has no relationship to the bore axis and the POA/POI would be WAY off. You'd end up completely overshooting your target even at close range...

thanks for the info. i have the eotech already, and have been going back and forth on the rail to use. im trying to avoid the full length rail, or a warhammer type rail, but i still like the idea of BUIS, especially since the eotech is battery operated. any ideas on a set up for fronth sights? is there a clamp on sight, or something similar that you are aware of?

I don't know of any clamp on front sights.

I get what you're trying to accomplish, but it's a lot more difficult with a shotgun. Adding a receiver rail would obscure the line of sight to the front bead even without the EOTech mounted. You could have a front ghost ring sight post soldered to your barrel and use the a rail mounted GRS rear sight. This way you'd have a mounting platform for the EOTech and all you'd have to do is remove it for use of the iron sights...

Your Welcome SGT. I am no expert, but I do belive in helping folks anyway I can. Have you ever though of buying a barrel, with the sights, new, or used? This might come out cheaper, and you can have a spare.

i will definitely look into that. accessorizing a weapon is extremely difficult, so many choices. I had the same problem with my AR. i'm like a kid in a candy when i'm researching things. so many options

Calling up this older thread, well because I'm interested in some back up sights that are a little bit friendlier in price! Ready for suggestions for Inexpensive buis that will do the job without killing my wallet!

palmetto has some metal sights that seem decent for cheaper than the usual suspects.....I shot with those magpul plastic sights everyone thinks are killer, I didn't hate them as much as I thought I would because I did hit but still cheese ball to me, never put them on my rifle unless it was my only option..never been a magpul fan

I recently bought the front and back BUIS flip up magpul. mainly because of the low profile in the back sight for using a magnifier on my AR...seems to be a pretty good set up. easy to sight in. Pain to get on the rail though!

rdm76mav88 said:
Calling up this older thread, well because I'm interested in some back up sights that are a little bit friendlier in price! Ready for suggestions for Inexpensive buis that will do the job without killing my wallet!

Have you looked at magpul, less than 100 bucks for front and back...you can go on ebay and find them for 50-75 for the pair on a good day too.

SGT. LB said:
i will definitely look into that. accessorizing a weapon is extremely difficult, so many choices. I had the same problem with my AR. i'm like a kid in a candy when i'm researching things. so many options

It's hard to not impulse buy with an AR, be patient before opening your wallet, or be like me, buy then resell on ebay!

I put a set of CAA flip ups on my smg and I like them a lot better than I thought I would. Especially the front sight.

The rear site I think is slightly harder for me to use than a standard issue or magpul rear sight though, but it is it's own design and even has like a pistol rear sight notch for shooting up close which helps you be able to shoot more at point of aim at close distances instead of compensating as much (on an AR that has a tall sight over bore).

And while they are polymer, they also have some aluminum reinforcements, which make them stronger than the magpul as well.

I also like Midwest industries front sights, and magpul mbus sights.

http://www.commandarms.com/flip-up-sights/112

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/in ... gory_id=79

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/44

Back