• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Educate me

NickG21

Copper BB
Hello all. I just joined your site and can't wait to start learning. I'm in the market for my first shotgun, it will be used for home defense and indoor and outdoor ranges. (I don't suspect the same gun could be used to hunt deer and hogs?)

You all probably hear this alot but there are so many different models it makes my head spin. What should I be looking for? One thing is for sure I want this gun to look mean!!

Thank you all!

Nick

First Shotgun, get a 500.
With a 2 second barrel change you will be able to go from an HD gun to a hunting gun or a clay games gun.
Yes the same gun will hunt deer and hogs.
Making the gun LOOK MEAN should not be your first thought for a gun you want to hunt with.
MEAN don't get MEAT, good shot placement does.

^ THIS

Could not agree more.

It will never wear out, and will likely last you a lifetime of regular use.

I think "looking mean" could be counterproductive for a home defense weapon...especially if it ever has to make an appearance in a courtroom. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom, VERY GOOD point! Sad that the General Public has come to fear a black gun... :/

Nick,

Welcome to Mossberg Owners! Great Bunch here and everyone has some sort of knowledge they are willing to share!

First, you need to get the shotgun in your hand and see how it feels! For a Range/HD gun there is a Mossberg Combo Model** that has both the 28" Vent Ribbed barrel that accepts chokes and the 18.5" Security barrel for HD. Great deal for a gun that can serve 2 purposes! (Prices vary upon location of purchase)

Second, the above stated model will in fact, kill a little bit of everything! I have even hunted ground hogs with my 12ga! If you can get within range of your target, it is as good as dead, if you do your part! :) I have hunted Deer and Bear as well as squirrel, various game birds and those pesky paper squares! A 12 gauge shotgun, or shotgun in general is a truly universal use tool!

Third, are you dead set on 12 gauge? What someone can do with a 12 gauge they can do even better with a 20 gauge! Less recoil from the 20ga will allow quicker follow up shots for HD for a smaller framed person. Just something to consider, especially if someone within your house hold may be using the gun if you are unfortunately MIA...

Lastly, Mean... there we have it :) Everyone wants a mean/scary/tactical gun! I wanted one! I built one! You know what I came to the conclusion of? ... K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, stupid! :) The more gadgets and gizmos, the more weird things you got on there, only makes it hard to maneuver around you home with. Which also a personal thing, you may be able to move around your surroundings better with a certain setup but the K.I.S.S. method has found itself upon many of our shotguns. You can always test something out and see if it works. Be comfortable with you rig, and know you capabilities with it!!

MOST IMPORTANT!!! Train, Practice, Shoot, Train and Practice and Shoot some MORE! You can never do enough :p

*I recommend the Mossberg simply because I am Bias :) haha you can really get whatever shotgun you want and feel better about! Many members have various makes and models starting with Rem870 and all the way too an H&R or Ithaca! Just make sure it is the one that feels right to YOU and the one YOU want

Mossberg saftey is very easy to use in the dark/ low light situations. And when your in a hurry.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Thank you all for the info and support!

I went and looked at a few today and really liked the 590 A1 20 inch barrel with ghost sights. Any info on this gun? The shop wanted $500, is that a good price? Im in Tampa but willing to travel for a great deal.

Thanks yall!

Nick

What kinda info are you lookin for?

It's a model 51663, took about six months to get my hands on mine. Can't remember exactly what I paid for it but $500 sounds about right. It's one helluva fine weapon and built like a tank...

Yeah, I think $500 is fair for a 20" with ghost ring sights. I saw a 590A1 with 18 1/2" barrel and bead sight for $435 tonight at a local gun shop. I have that same model and last spring paid $25 more than that and it took me 2 months to find that one.

As for looking mean, I think a black 590 A1 looks plenty mean just the way Mossberg made it. Look at some of the threads with pictures and you'll see it...they are meaner than a junk yard dog!

There's nothing meaner than staring down the barrel of a 12G shotty. Other than that get a light and a tritium glow bead for home defense.

HD should be short, simple, and reliably functional.

In that case, you just need to ask yourself if the metal trigger housing, metal safety, and heavy barrel on the a1 are worth the extra $100 to you. I freakin love my a1, but the 500 and 590 models are every bit as tough...

Choices...choices...choices! I think you'll be a winner and very happy either way. Think of it like choosing between a blonde and brunette supermodel. One may cost you an extra $100 on the dinner but either way you'll wake up in the morning with a smile on your face.

Let us know what you decide!

I have 4 500's all bought used.
12ga $180 New in the box, old stock
12ga $160 Looked old but the action is so smoooooth
20ga $110 had some scrapes on it but the insides looked almost new.
.410 $200 Looked brand new,

All work great!!!
Buying a used 500 could save you a lot of money.

^THIS.
There are always used 500's out there for sale, and they get better with age. A buddy of mine has a 18 1/2" 500A with he figures over 20,000 rounds through it and the action is as smooth as glass and is still on all the original parts. In my opinion, you cannot beat a 500 for the money you spend.
I had one of the original 590's (non A1) out and it was an awesome shotgun, no issues at all.

I went with the 590A1 and a Glock21 Gen 4.

So these will be my first guns. Very excited! Thanks for all the help!

One of my FAVORITE guns is my First Gen 21!
It was actually my second handgun purchase.
Its a big sucker, but it is dead balls accurate!
Good luck with both and happy shooting!!!

Very nice Nick,

You're gonna love that a1. The G21 is one of my favorites as well.

LTB,

You've been holdin out on us! We're gonna need pics of that Gen1 Sir... :shock:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
LT,

You've been holdin out on us! We're gonna need pics of that Gen1 Sir... :shock:

LOL!!!
It looks like every other Glock ever made :lol:

Edit: No rails or night sites

I know that, but I still wanna see it! :lol:

I've got a soft spot for Glocks to begin with and I don't see too many of the first gen models around anymore...

Back