• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

I’m definitely a life member. I also subscribe to Clint Eastwood’s assertion that there really isn’t such a thing as a grumpy old person. You just reach an age where you stop being polite and start telling the truth.

Good day fellas. A nice day here, 51 and sunny. Tomorrow even warmer, then turning cold. We are going to be right at zero,maybe even below over the weekend. Now I know some of yous put up with that all winter, but not here, lol. My sons in Omaha do not feel sorry for me as they are looking at three nights right at -15 with wind in excess of 20 mph. That is one reason I pulled up stakes and left. Not saying I am smarter than them, but...

Anyways, you all have a nice day.

Both the spouse and I are from Omaha, but we were only smart enough to move 200 miles south; into Kansas. Still plenty cold here. The Midwest gets the worst of everything: heat, cold, not excessive snow but there’s the periodic ice storm. Sprinkle in a tornado or three each year and it makes me wonder why we still put up with it. At least Kansas is still mostly red, even with our insane leftist governor. Take care y’all. :)

Hey hey! Look what the cat dragged in.
Scoop, it’s a joy to see ya.

The rest of you too! Late as it might be…

I had to go to the dentist today and it didn’t work out very well. My new crown didn’t fit so they took more impressions and sent it back to the lab.

I think I broke a tooth the other day when I bit on something hard while I was eating. I think it’s cracked in the root, but I don’t know, while the dentist took an X-ray & he seems to think it’s just temporary trauma.

I hope that’s the case. I don’t want another extraction.

We had a real rain weds night, so I did a lot cleanup in the boatyard.

Good day to all of yous.

@Scoop, I was just wondering how long it had been since you posted, LOL, not long at all. Good to see you.

We are entering our winter now. 61 yesterday, 31 today. Last night thunderstorms with 50 mph wind and pea sized hail. The weekend brings cold and possibly an inch or so of snow. We are even looking at -2 or -3 a couple of nights. Nothing like my family and friends in Nebraska, but still...

You all have a great day . Stay warm and dry.

Typical local weather forecast of late: 20 degrees this morning, with a projected high of 35. It's now 12. In the morning it will be -6...then -12 Sunday morning with a high of -1. Yet we stay in the midwest. :crazy:

Good afternoon Mossberg Owners.

Yesterday was a big disappointment. My new tooth didn’t fit and they had to take impressions and send it back to the lab. Meanwhile, I can’t really eat from the trauma of another injury.

To laugh in my face the food gods sent my lovely neighbor lady over with a plate of food, just as I was wondering what I’m going to do for lunch.

Normally I’d be cooking but my wife is out with her girlfriends at a restaurant. I didn’t cook anything, since I really couldn’t eat, and I was considering heating up some broth and slurping soggy biscuits.

By the way, the food was delicious. I got it down with the aid of straight vodka, applied to the wound.

Meanwhile, Ozzie guards the cul-de-sac from neighborhood cats.
D2B2ECD4-3B02-4F87-AC4F-C1823F284903.jpeg
Itis going to rain again, soon. It’s gloomy and still, as the wind is starting to reverse. Frozen desert night wind will become bay area sea breeze.

It hit 33 last night, but it’s 50 now. I do not expect snow below 2500 feet, or 1900’ above us. I do expect a very cold, short rain.

Went for my daily walk/jog today. In shorts and no shirt... :D Humid as f*ck here tonight, though. 92%/74^ I made the mistake of opening the garage door at the shop and it let in all the moisture which condensed on the floor. :( Yeah I know, Florida problems... :)

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.
It’s overcast no rain yet. Calm and 45F here, and I am outside irrigating the trees.
Wishing you all a calm day . . .

Good morning, Mossies.
Cold weather for TN here. 25F
Yesterday morning I was leaving for an early appointment, and I didn't figure on:
1) how long it would take to get my windshield defrosted, and
2) how heavy the 7am traffic was.

I still made in time for the bloodsuckers to stick me in the arm.

Our predicted rain didn’t materialize last night. I just irrigated & got the welder set up and now it has decided to rain. Foo!

Am I just being over cautious about high freq start electronic welding in humid environments?

Do you know what happens to this welder if you hit the pedal without the ground clamp on the work? Freaky blue sparks randomly search for any ground. Weak sparks, or they look weak. Teslacoil stuff.

Here I am sitting on a dry steel chair, and suddenly I feel the need for rubber underwear!

I decided to postpone the welding and go make some little parts that I’m going to need soon.

I’m definitely a life member. I also subscribe to Clint Eastwood’s assertion that there really isn’t such a thing as a grumpy old person. You just reach an age where you stop being polite and start telling the truth.
It’s variable here. Senior citizenship isn’t going to make all of us more patient.

If I am in pain, people get the condensed version of me. I have a toothache today and I wanna go bark at people, because it hurts to eat.

Am I just being over cautious about high freq start electronic welding in humid environments?

Do you know what happens to this welder if you hit the pedal without the ground clamp on the work? Freaky blue sparks randomly search for any ground. Weak sparks, or they look weak. Teslacoil stuff.

About a dozen years ago I was welding in my garage at home with the door open during a T-storm. The table is about 4' from the open door. I think I was welding Al with the spooler, Ar as the shielding/conductive gas. O3 is a by-product of arc welding, BTW. Door open to let the fumes out. Typical afternoon thunderstorm. Well, not more than 50' away lightning struck and literally BLEW apart the top 10' of a dead 30' tree in the wooded lot next door. :eek: LOUD and BRIGHT! Chunks of dead tree all over my driveway! I don't recall soiling myself but it got me thinking seriously about the conductivity of the 1" solid Al table I was leaning/welding on, grounded to the welder, which in turn was grounded to the house and ground rod. I posed the Q to the sages at SFT with no definitive answer. I close the garage door now when there is a T-storm about. :)

Not being an arc welder, I never paid it much mind as gas welding on the job was an all weather, any conditions requirement. But over the years I had many arc welders with my crew for specific jobs and they never batted an eye to weld in the rain. They would put up their tent and go to it, even though the tents were open on all sides..

Last edited:
I heard of a guy who zapped himself dead with the stinger, because his sweaty glove was on the grounded table. A glove is not always an insulator.

Good morning guys. Still no freeze here. Mid 40s here, dry and calm.

We had another little rain last night. Instead of welding I was experimenting with a little hobo stove. By making the hot gasses burn, I boiled water with a small candle.

The wax liquifies and burns without wick, as a fluid bed. Vent hole location and number is the key.

Just getting hot. Can in can in can: There is the third can, as a shield, so I can pick the stove up bare handed. Two would work fine.
D6F6BF19-3F79-4DA1-A55B-976005A377D4.jpeg
I made this with an ice pick, knife, a pair of scissors, and a beer can opener.

Boiling water made some soot.
3E32F09D-B694-4DFF-943F-45AD1F2B3DF3.jpeg

No smoke or soot with the vented chimney dome. Lots of light and heat though. That’s the top of a spray can cooking off the paint.
118F0B8F-401C-4402-BB9B-F98D1F4DC227.jpeg

I burned off most of the wax, then added some motor oil, twigs and leaves, then bits of a wax toilet ring I use for waxing screws.

Everything incinerated like magic.

I always had a camping stove ( 3 at once!) but gave them to my kids decades ago. I had fun trying to build something useful for emergencies in the bush.

Back