• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

@Ernst, that brings back so many memories . I was born in '47, graduated high school '65, joined the Air Force in '69. I remember my mom listening to Elvis, Hank Williams, and Buddy Holly, the Beatles and the British invasion. I don't remember as much of the early 70s as I wish, but oh well, I think I had a good time. I worked hard, stayed out of trouble for the most part. I didn't always like change, but I adapted, sort of. Now my old friends are passing on or ailing and hurting most of the time. It's been a good ride and I would not change much if I could do it over.

Live like there might be no tomorrow . At this point and time it just might not.

@Ernst, that brings back so many memories . I was born in '47, graduated high school '65, joined the Air Force in '69. I remember my mom listening to Elvis, Hank Williams, and Buddy Holly, the Beatles and the British invasion. I don't remember as much of the early 70s as I wish, but oh well, I think I had a good time. I worked hard, stayed out of trouble for the most part. I didn't always like change, but I adapted, sort of. Now my old friends are passing on or ailing and hurting most of the time. It's been a good ride and I would not change much if I could do it over.

Live like there might be no tomorrow . At this point and time it just might not.
The late 60s and early to mid 70s were troubled times in America. Protests, riots, building bombing, kidnappings, the draft, the Vietnam War, cults, hippies, the invasion of Canada by draft dodgers, the love & peace generation, agent orange and returning war vets being blamed for all the world's troubles. Plus vets being totally ignored by the government, especially the VA.

But at the same time the 60s and early 70s were likely the greatest couple of decades of music the world has ever heard and still in style today! The age of Rock & Roll!

And several of us have recently encountered some near death experiences which gives us added appreciation of the good life.

You are right-- Live like there might be no tomorrow!

Regards

Good morning you guys.

During the worst of that time, 67-75 I was fortunately secluded in out-of-the-way northern schools, and then a small Rocky Mountain College, both far from the cares of politics, war and big city life.

I came to California (the second time) in late 1975, and by then they had caught Patty Hearst and the SLA, and things had calmed down somewhat.

It was all lucky timing that they stopped the draft, just a few months before my number would have been pulled. I would have gone for ROTC, just because I spent my spare time in school camping and climbing with the ROTC guys.

Instead I worked on cars, drew wood trusses, and wrote code for a primitive CAD/CAM system. Lucky timing for me there too. 50 years ago. Detroit was doing it all with computers and PLCs, but I never got to Detroit. Still, that was pretty cutting edge in the lumber biz to run IBM Systems32.

We had paper plots, punchtape, servomotors, and programmable calculators.

It was a magic time for me.

. . . several of us have recently encountered some near death experiences which gives us added appreciation of the good life. . .

I attend 4 other forums, and the guys my age are dropping off the map. And at 68, I’m often the young one here.

The geezers skateboard club has dried up.

The old Plymouth club is coasting to a stop. Same for the welding forum.

I’m getting lots of welding practice and I am not half done yet. Eventually I have lots of empty brass and plastic to load, and I will find another target shooting buddy. My last one has cashed it in.

People think that because words rhyme they have made a poem.

The sentiment is there, but the meter blows! It should read like this.

Roses are red
And shooting is fun
Forget all the flowers
And buy me a gun

Here in the Kansas City Area the politicians are having a field day with the shooting incident near Union Station after the big Superbowl Victory Rally. The rally was over, but there were a lot of people still hanging around enjoying a rare nice February day. It's going to take the FBI field office here some time to sort it all out. They're asking for people to submit any videos taken with cell phones, etc.

What I keep wondering is why they didn't have some overwatch on the roof at Union Station or the Pershing Memorial that overlooks the whole area? Hundreds of cops on the ground but no one scouting the perimeter, as it were.

Between the media and the damn politicians, I don't even turn on the TV. A close friend is Asst. AG for the State, so if I get anything official that I can share, I will. A tragic day.

A close friend is Asst. AG for the State, so if I get anything official that I can share, I will. A tragic day.
Sometimes the local "view" is a little more informative than what nat'l slimedia shows us. Keep us posted. :)

The lack of detail and quick change to another topic (other than gun control) leads me to believe that this is not an agenda-driven worthy story. Sorry if my view is jaded, but my gut is telling me this was a gang-related incident and that the injured "children" :rolleyes: were 17yo and under gang-bangers. The gun(s) are illegal in their hands without responsible adult/parental supervision and I doubt they have any worth mentioning. Plus, I suspect the shooting was in one of those "Gun-Free-Zones" that we know work so well to stop shootings... :rolleyes:

PS: haven't heard anything about the gun used but I predict it was a stolen Glock with a "glock-switch".

It’s looking more like gang violence although there are spinning it to “disputes between groups of people “. You’re right - the media is going to drop this hot potato since they didn’t get their “mass shooting”. Hospital reports are also being carefully worded. Another 2 days & we’ll likely know most of the truth.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

When I saw this I groaned a little bit more.
5BD32684-4251-4AAD-833D-711164069F0B.jpeg
Whatever the administration laments, it is always already doing. They have no more original thought than that.

The media can’t point a finger at those KC gang shooters.

I mean, the “mostly peaceful” black football rally “protesters”.

When I saw this I groaned a little bit more.
View attachment 30522
Whatever the administration laments, it is always already doing. They have no more original thought than that.

The media can’t point a finger at those KC gang shooters.

I mean, the “mostly peaceful” black football rally “protesters”.
Same old KC. Ten years ago KCMO was ranked the 4th most violent city-per FBI stats. It’s slipped in the rankings some, but not for lack of trying. Most of what makes the news happens within an area of about a few dozen square blocks. If this terrible event would have happened on a weekend night, it would be page 3 news.

Good morning all, even though it is 8:30 pm.

My first thought was gang , young black bangers. Sorry but I went through all of this in the late 80s in Omaha. They talk about all the law enforcement. WTF, 800 officers in a crowd of upwards of 1,000,000 is what I have heard. Really, that is one for every 1250 people, hardly saturated.

Anyways, I'm sad it happened, glad it wasn't worse. Y'all have a great weekend.

I had to take advantage of the lovely 68F sunshine, and finish my crossmember up. I finished re-welding all the tube seams, and (at least) the last ones looked great.

Paint will soon make some of the sloppy welds less evident. ;) I am not entirely happy about my work. Some had to be hit twice.
7EF23417-B63C-41DB-BD6B-729C20C9D56E.jpeg
I was losing the seam easily, where it had not already split. Then I had to go back and widen the weld. I was not adding filler unless needed, but some more places needed filling after that.

There were a couple ugly ones that needed dressing down.

Here it is indoors, and all burnished. I just have to scrape the corners out a little bit before it gets etched.
BF6159A8-4708-4860-8D5A-702F7F3FFC0F.jpeg

These two lumps exist because the tubes were short 1/8”. This is where the shims were placed. It won’t be a problem.
3FD6AC45-2245-4655-B2AA-CAD38E6928E4.jpeg
I made the shims a bit large, to get some extra weld on the joint.

It took me way too long to figure out that the helmet glass needs to be set much darker when welding at 150 amps than the 60 amps I was using for most of this.

I am trying to do everything on shade 9, where maybe 7 or 8 would often be more appropriate.

I am trying to do everything on shade 9, where maybe 7 or 8 would often be more appropriate.
The shade of lens is directly related to the amps being used. More amps, darker shade. You will get "after effects" if the lens is too light. Not necessarily arc flash, but more like looking at a bright light (or the sun), then turning away. I wouldn't go any lower than 9, I'm guessing you are at about 80A? If you have to, back light with a spot light or something. You have an autodark hood, correct?

Yes, the most patriotic $400 Miller Elite automatic helmet.
F813479F-C19B-46C1-8068-770D11037A24.jpeg
But this tubing is 16 ga. I only welded the tube seams with 60 amps. Fillets to the 12ga plate at about 90-100 amps.

I ended up using a small spotlight to help keep me on track. It could have been brighter.

In the end it will all function.

More rain is keeping me indoors. I did clean up my garage bench area which was a mess.
It's a warmish 50F, and I must go mop up last night's puddles in the boatyard.
They say no more rain until Sunday, so I might accidentally get some work done this week.
But today is shopping and then dog goes to the vet.

It wasn’t supposed to rain, but it seems to hit us each night. The boatyard is wet, but still warmish for Feb, at 48F.

Maybe I will get some actual work done today, but the place is a lot cleaner.

I missed this story way back when it happened, but the mother was not happy when her son got shot while committing an armed robbery.

The store he was robbing was thought to be gun free, because they “had a policy”. Somebody at the store didn’t get the message, and shot the perp.

Of course the lawyers cashed in. Good biz for them.

Just today the mother of one of the KC shooters [a VERY large inner city club :) ] came out asking that a Go Fund Me be set up for her and her criminal son. THAT's the mentality that keeps this warped entitlement mindset alive. One local radio station came out and said 'screw you and screw your son'. Bravo. There is hope for the local media yet. Again, if this terrible thing would have occurred 2 - 3 hours later, it would have been just another Wednesday. :(

Good Afternoon Mossberg Owners.

It’s beautiful here today, and we are busy out in the yard. My wife is 68 today, and she has a bad gardening habit. Soon every inch will be planted, potted, or decorated.
A00C4AA5-DE9E-4C37-B6CB-2592CCA3B1BD.jpeg
Notice that the dog has decorated his bed with two chewed up eucalyptus logs. (It’s like those menthol cigarettes. He can’t stop.)

You have to have a special kind of woman, for her to be happy that you bought her a truckload of dirt for her birthday.
9C000140-83ED-49C1-979E-4C97C168A7EC.jpeg
The dirt would’ve cost me $88 last year. Thanks to Joe Bidenomics Inc. it was $132 this year. Also, with all the recent rains it was very heavy. I could have squeezed a few more bags in the truck, but my back said no. However I did load, haul and distribute those 10 bags, and break them open, and rake the compost out.

If you now all think I am the least romantic husband in the world, well, we are going to go out tonight for drinks and food.

Back