• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.

I cobbled together this little carbon arc device for brazing jewelry and orthodontic work.
9AA66BD1-75F4-4FBD-9616-0882C9FE4ABF.jpeg
I haven’t tested it much yet, but it does melt silver solder.

Good morning from Oklahoma. Cloudy skies, remnants of the rainy system that went through last night. I don’t think we received even a quarter of an inch but it was welcomed nevertheless.

Y’all have yourselves a great day.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

While I have been busy building welders and rewinding transformers, I failed to notice that my water heater had started leaking. I have a big puddle and a plumber who can’t come till this afternoon.

My Bradford-White water heater is only three years old and I think it has split the seam at the top of the flue.

Photographs of leaky water heaters are not very exciting. so instead here are some photographs of me rewinding and testing a transformer.
A9B997F9-6670-42EF-B8D3-232092B6C849.jpeg
95CB849D-F422-43E0-AEFB-42C5DB59B46D.jpeg
This was wound for 28 V @120vac, and was not even good for 10A. Except maybe on paper.

These little connectors which attach the magnet wire to the stranded wire are garbage and they cut the magnet wire.
C4CEA2DA-469F-41C7-A0D5-6D6C51A03FAE.jpeg
Anyhow I now have two battery chargers that were killed by this issue.

I rewound this transformer to use as a tiny welder. Now it only puts out 8 V and I have quadrupled the secondary coil. It should be good for at least 20 A with maybe 25% duty cycle.

I built a new stinger for this as well but it’s dipped in plasti-dip and must dry some more before I assemble it. Meanwhile I have a case from an old one speed cd ROM player of the early 90s. It’s big enough that if I cut it in half I can build a welder and a battery charger.

Anyhow I have to go move everything around in my garage so the plumbers can get in there today. You guys have a nice one.

Good morning to yous. We dipped down to about freezing last night, supposed to be a couple of degrees cooler tonight. 29 or 30.

Today I have a hearing test this afternoon. I have been studying for weeks now, lol. I think a hearing aid is in my future.

You all have a great day.

Hey you guys. Too much action here.

Today we had the plumbers and the gardeners, plus my wife had physical therapy and I made a visit to the gastro guy to prepare me for another invasive procedure.

We have a new water heater, but even with warrantee coverage on the heater, the plumbing bill was still $900.

I didn’t get my welder or charger finished yet.

We discovered that the main house ground runs from the main panel to the plumbing at the garage firewall. And it is aluminum. Yuck.

I put an 8’ grounding rod in the earth today, right at the main panel, and ran a copper ground wire.

There were six layers of hardpan, and I dug it out, and drilled through it first, with a 1/2” steel conduit and water. With vicegrips for handles, I drilled for 2 hours.
BDF43108-2438-463A-BFE4-B64E87956648.jpeg

I went very slowly, as I had to snake the new rod between sprinkler pipes, gas pipe, the phone wire, TV cable, and 240v underground electric mains.

You don’t wanna punch into that!

I missed it all and hit not even one stone to block my way. Just layers of sand and hardpan.

We discovered that the main house ground runs from the main panel to the plumbing at the garage firewall. And it is aluminum. Yuck.
Now run lightning prongs on the roof and wire down to that nice ground you put in... Ideally, it would be on the opposite side from the service panel... ;) (so get digging! :D )

EDIT "lightning", not lighting...

Last edited:
Now run lighting prongs on the roof and wire down to that nice ground you put in... Ideally, it would be on the opposite side from the service panel... ;) (so get digging! :D )
I do have an old fashion aluminum yagi TV antenna with guy wire, way up in the air.

It lands on the (steel platform frame) foot of my 5ton hvac. Which has drain pipe, ground wire, 240, plus a copper flex-to-iron gas pipe.

It’ll be Whahooo! If that gets lit up.

But the closely surrounding trees are all 3x to 4x taller than the house.

Also we live in the foreshadow of the “high sierra”. Clouds blow past, above us, gently rising, until they stack up into thunderheads between Yosemite and Mt Whitney.

Then it’s donner und blitzen way on high. It’s 10k to 14k elevation and bolts are blasting down on the bald granite. There is sometimes lightning in the lower valley out west, but it seems to avoid this immediate area.

So here it is before I washed off the mud.
221264B1-F2FE-47DA-A6AE-CB376685E45E.jpeg
That new flex pvc was left over from my front garden.5981F8FB-1EEE-4924-BE80-BD1F174D5337.jpeg

It’s 10k to 14k elevation and bolts are blasting down on the bald granite. There is sometimes lightning in the lower valley out west, but it seems to avoid this immediate area.
You are more likely to be struck by lighting in FL than to be a victim of a mass shooting.

BUT, I've had lightning blow the top off a dead tree about 50' away while I was welding in my garage WITH THE DOOR OPEN! :eek: I can't find the pics but picture about a dozen chunks of pine about as big as an eggplant laying on my driveway. No damage to the cars, thankfully. I weld with the door closed during storms now... ;)

You are more likely to be struck by lighting in FL than to be a victim of a mass shooting.

BUT, I've had lightning blow the top off a dead tree about 50' away while I was welding in my garage WITH THE DOOR OPEN! :eek: I can't find the pics but picture about a dozen chunks of pine about as big as an eggplant laying on my driveway. No damage to the cars, thankfully. I weld with the door closed during storms now... ;)
I imagine if I heard that explosion when I had my hood down, I woulda had a heart attack!

Happy Easter Mossberg Owners.

In between rain showers I got the other 8’ ground rod in by my welder subpanel. Somehow it was easier, as I didn’t have to dig up the rock “garden”.

The concrete drilled easily. I made 4’ long spade bit to drill through most of the hardpan. I only had to pound in the last foot.

Once again it is raining every day, and I have been hiding in my office, soldering on a 24v battery charger I built from parts of other old/damaged chargers.

This is my computer desk, stuffed with bits and pieces of my junk, during the process.
49D114CF-5EEA-4EED-AFCF-AF5482FEFE30.jpeg

Today I will cook a ham and some of my family will be by to visit. I hope you all are as lucky to be alive today. I am at the age where half of my peers are gone from this world.

Only God has stood between me and a hundred scrapes with near death. I pray he has an even hand with us all.

Good morning and happy Easter to yous. If you don’t believe, then just good morning. Well, the hearing test went as expected and I now have hearing aids. I go back Tuesday for some fine tuning, lol.

We have clouds and windy today, but warm. I think we have turned the corner weather wise. Now onto tornado season.I have spent all hut one of my 76 years in areas with a lot of tornados. I’m certain that is why spring is not my favorite season.

You all have yourselves a great day.

I'm in the final stage of denial on hearing aids. I have trouble hearing conversation, yet loud sounds hurt the ears. I dread going to an audiologist. I'd hate to have to sell the car just to get hearing aids.

Think we are all in the same club - loss of hearing and maybe denial!

After decades of gunfire I have virtually no hearing in my left ear. Years ago in the military we had little effective hearing protection. In early days took cotton balls and rolled them into ear plugs, then foam ones and a plastic rubber ones came along. None were very good.

However, I for one enjoy my "selective" hearing but not so my wife. And like Husker said the cost of a pair of hearing aids is outrageous. Might need to sell a couple of guns to afford a pair -- NOT!

My two phrases I use with my wife -- "What did you say?" But more importantly, "Yes Dear!"

Regards

Last edited:
Loss of hearing has the potential to lead to other issues impacting quality of life in the later stages. One being a significant contributing factor to dementia. All I can say, is do what you can to protect your hearing now and don't wait too long to bite the bullet on hearing aids. My Dad never did go after hearing aids and I believe he's suffering more acute cognition issues because of it.

I've watched my Dad and other elderly family members and friends withdrawing from conversation (particularly group conversations) due to hearing loss over the years and it's hard to watch. The link between hearing loss and dementia patients is not yet clearly understood but I can tell you I've seen marked cognitive decline in a number of elderly people I'm close with and ALL have moderate to severe hearing impairments.

A neighbour of mine is into his mid-90's, walks everyday, cuts his own wood and lives on his own...despite many, many decades in heavy industry his hearing is still pretty good, he works everyday on either his sawmill or woodworking projects and he's mentally as sharp as a tack. He amazes me.

Good morning and happy April Fools Day to all of yous.

I had read some of the articles about hearing loss. I finally made up my mind to get tested, I’m glad I did. I probably should have gone in 3 or 4 years ago, but that is water under the bridge. I also had the good fortune to have met a couple of people younger than me that had hearing aids and really liked the improvement in their life. One was early 50s, the other early 60s.

Anyways, I have them now and so far am very pleased.

Speaking of pleased, it’s 70 degrees this morning with a good chance of rain late afternoon into evening. We could certainly use rain.

You all have a great day.

Back