• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Sweet dreams are made of these......congrats Beretta Brad!

I have decided on 1911 model for my final decision. After all...if I'm going to be making 1911 grips I should have one. However, once I have pistol permit I'll obviously be getting few other kinds. So now I need to decide on which maker. I think Lazy Eyed Sniper's RIA ms1911a1 is great size. I was holding the compacts that I thought I wanted, and the butt was in the middle of my palm. I did not feel comfortable holding them. So nay on the compacts. I need a full size grip. But short barrel/slide. That design looks much more appealing to me. I thought compact meant the barrel size, not the grip.
So...the first one will be a 1911. Then a CZ or Beretta. Then who knows what I'll decide later on.
Thanx a bunch guys...

Sounds great rip,

In your search be sure to cue in on "commander" length 1911s. The term is borrowed from traditional Colt Commander length 1911s. True Commanders have a ful-sized grip, a shorter dust cover and slide, and a 4.25" barrel. The nomenclature has been adopted by many manufacturers to denote their mid-sized models, many of which now have 4" barrels. Depending on what crowd you're in, calling a 1911 with a 4" barrel a 'commander' can land you in some hot water. The 1911 purists get their feathers ruffled over that sort of thing. Several 1911 manufacturers use their own names for their version of the 'commander' length:

RIA = Mid-Size
Springfield = Champion
Kimber = Pro
Les Baer = Commanche
Wilson Combat = Compact

...and the list goes on. Have fun on your search and let us know which way you decide to go...

I like commander length too, and that EB Special Forces Carry I posted in Stainless is a commander length gun! ;)

I may like to do an RIA sometime too, very reasonably priced guns!!!

Re: 1911: Pics and Discussion

Hey LES, Rossignol, you guys are extremely knowledgeable - I have a dilemma. instead of eating lunch I stopped by my local gun shop - the owner is a friend and said he put aside a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 for me - he wants to trade it to me for my Glock 26 9MM and $100 (this includes tax) I have a big hand and the Glock is just a bit too small - I am not sure if I like the Glock or the reputation of Glock. Any thoughts?

Joe, I moved the post above from the 1911 thread. You'll likely get more feedback here.

As far as my $.02, the M&P is a fine weapon that is owned and carried by many of our members and I can't think of a single negative to point out about it. However, you won't hear me say a single negative thing about my four Glocks either and I'll spare you the long winded rant about their perceived "reputation" and where that stems from.

What I will tell you is that this statement of yours sums it up for me...

JoeRotella said:
I have a big hand and the Glock is just a bit too small - I am not sure if I like the Glock

To me, that says it all. If the M&P fits your hands better and the price seems fair, don't second guess yourself. One of the most undervalued aspects of a firearm is a comfortable fit. The key to proficiency with any firearm is practice and the last thing you need is a pistol that you don't like to shoot because it's not comfortable. Find one that feels like it was made for you. Then the only thing you'll have to worry about is going through ammo too fast...

Fit is what finally threw it over for me when I thought I knew what I wanted

Yep, I totally agree with the issue of fit! I went through the same thing, lookin at Glock, Ruger, S&W, Sig, HK... and I really wanted the FNH FN P .45 to feel right. But it didnt. For what ever reason the Beretta's full size grip felt good!

My hands arent very big, maybe wide, but kinda short, so the Glock for me felt like tring to get my hand around a brick. I otherwise have no issue with Glock, but I do prefer the feel and weight of a steel frame and slide. The Beretta fit my hand with little change from how i grip my 1911, and the weight of it felt better.

That was the long way of saying;
Go with fit and what feels right. Sounds like a good deal too!

The only grips I have a probem with are short grips. I can handle narrow , fat, square or rounded ,just not short

...I've gotten used to a short grip over the years... :cry:

:lol:

Wow...that's a funny. :lol:

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure a full size Glock may be a better fit. the compact 26 is a bit small. I do like the way it shoots and I have become very acurate with it.

Joe

No problem Joe.

Let us know which way you decide to go...

S&W Sigma or Springfield XD?

Looking to possibly pick up a pistol in the next few days and have been doing some research on potential guns. I've narrowed it down to the Springfield XD Service Model 9mm or the S&W Sigma 9mm. Been trying to find one used locally via classifieds but haven't had too much success. Anybody know of any places particularly in my area (SLC, UT) or online to find a good deal on either weapon (new or used)? I've seen on other forums where people have purchased the Sigma's for around $299 new with a $50 rebate, is that still available? Any advice would he helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• SW9VE.jpg
    SW9VE.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Springfield XD.jpg
    Springfield XD.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 373
Re: S&W Sigma or Springfield XD?

I've owned neither but have shot both. Of the two I would go with the XD.

The trigger on the Sigma, at least the one I fired, was possibly the worst I have ever experienced.

Edit: I should probably add that the Sigma I fired was a range rental. I do not know what the gun had been through or if that is indicitive of all sigma's. Just my experience.

I have the sub compact 9mm XD and i love it. it's the second one i've purchased. The only true way to tell if you like one over the other is to fire them but if you were going to purchase without firing either one i would also say the XD.

Here's my take, for what it's worth....

The Sigma line of pistols enjoys two distinct advantages: A truly awesome Lifetime Warranty and a very low price. And they are superbly reliable, in spite of the horrible trigger which means that you can always jerk the trigger in an "Oh, Crap" SD moment but you'll never hit what you're aiming at beyond about 50-feet.

An XD is more expensive, no doubt, but it will give you the luxury of learning more about the subtle nuances of becoming an accomplished shooter. It's a better made, smoother, feature-laden, upgradeable, options laden, SERIOUS fighting pistol.

There are things you can do to a Sigma to make them feel better but it will never feel as good as an XD. The Sigma is an excellent value gun. Very accurate, once you spend some time learning to pull the trigger or do some work to the gun. It is a Glock clone so it accepts Glock striker springs. Polish the sear and the striker leg face, keep all surfaces square. Install a Glock 4# striker spring and it feels much better. If you don’t screw it up it costs about 10 bucks for the spring and your time .
On the other hand the trigger on the Sigma is designed to be harder to pull so you can carry a chambered round and not have to worry about accidental/negligent discharge as much. This is not a range gun, it is a self defense gun that isn’t going to win any awards but with in SD distances it will do its job safely….geared towards first time users CCW and I am told LEO. These weapons aren’t in the same price point , Why are you choosing to compare these against each other ?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/13283
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... round+Mags

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I have read MANY reviews about the trigger issue of the Sigma and potential fixes for it (send it back to S&W, taking extra spring out, ect.). This will be my first pistol and used primarily for HD, range time, and overall learning to shoot handguns. Cost is a factor involved, however when buying used I have found some XD's reasonably priced so I need to get my hands on one to get a feel for it. I have held the Sigma and it does feel pretty ergonomic, then again I haven't held many pistols lol. @oli700, From the research I've done so far these 2 guns seem to be closest to my price range, which is why it's come down to these. Do you have any suggestions for other guns though? Thanks again!

Not sure what your maximum price point is but I've seen S&W M&P's and Glocks as low as $350 in the classifieds of local forums but they tend to go fast. I've also seen good deals on used guns from local gun shops.

I've run both M&P's and Glocks in classes, IDPA leages, daily carry etc.

I prefers guns w/o a manual safty and I like the consistent trigger pull of a striker fired handgun. But it has taken me quite some time to arrive at that point and figure out what I like and don't like.

If you can find one, the Ruger P-?? series guns are built like tanks. They are heavy but the ones I had would eat anything I put through them. I've personally owned a P90 (.45) and a P94 (.40).

My best recomendation would be to fire as many different models as you can. Many ranges offer rentals. The more you shoot the more you will find what you like and dislike.

Back