• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: please help! mav88 malfunction?

Mossberg finally called me and said the problem is with the ATI folding stock. It's apparently going to have to be filed down in some way. It's pushing against something. I was half asleep when they called. Lol But the guy was cool and said he would do his best to fix it. Just seems strange to me. I've had that same ATI folding stock on a couple 88s with no issues. Oh well. Fingers crossed.

glad to hear they are fixing it.
maybe the bolt that holds it is a bit too long,,,,, is there a washer there?

Yeah, I installed it with the washer it came with. They said they should have it done in a day or so. I sent it in about a month ago, so I'm excited to hopefully get it back soon in working condition.

keep us posted and see if you can find out exactly what they did to fix it.

Well, I just got my mav88 back. Still doesn't work properly. I'm very frustrated at this point. They acted like they would fix it and then just turned around and sent it back...more than a month after I sent it in to them. Nice waste of time. For whatever reason, it functions fine without the ATI folding stock. I don't get it. I had the same stock on my previous mav88.

the only thing the ATI stock could be doing is the bolt that holds it on is hitting the trigger assembly.

I got it working. Not sure how...but it's working properly now with the ati stock. I honestly don't know why it's working now. I took the stock off and put it back on, and it still wasn't working properly. Then I tried to add one of the drop tube adapter things in hopes that might somehow fix it. That didn't work. Then I just put it back together the way it was, and it started working.

,,,,strange,,,,,,good luck with it.

i couldn't let your problem just lay the way it was. going on what you posted i don't think this problem vanished.
,,,,,,anyway i PM'd ATI to see if they can take a look at your post and figure out what was going on.
hope to hear from them soon. :)

Hey guys, sorry to hear about your troubles. It seems you simply missed the note in step 2 of our instructions. Due to variations in different firearms you need to remove some material on the pistol grip near the slide release. Doing this should alleviate all of your troubles.

Glad to hear you're a repeat customer, here's a link the instructions on our site: http://www.atigunstocks.com/img/cms/ins ... 101135.pdf

great going ATI!!! thank you for the quick answer. :D

Have an 88 that the action will not lock. As in as you normally have to fire the weapon or press the release to chamber another round. Mine doesn't you can function the action anytime. And it will not fire unless holding slight pressure forward on the foreend.

Chiefpfd said:
Have an 88 that the action will not lock. As in as you normally have to fire the weapon or press the release to chamber another round. Mine doesn't you can function the action anytime. And it will not fire unless holding slight pressure forward on the foreend.

welcome to the forum from NY.

first thing that comes to mind is the bolt locking lug is not seating in the lug recess on the barrel.
i would strip it down and give it a good cleaning first.
keep us posted.

Howdy all. Joined up a few weeks ago. Got my 88 back in March. The first 45-50 Rounds of Winchester #8 went "Boom" without a hitch. Field stripped and cleaned. Then I put about 10 rounds of Remington #4 Express Birdshot through her, again with no issues. Field stripped and cleaned. Then 35 rounds of Remington Slugger. Again no issues. Field stripped and cleaned. Then on the 4th of July I went back to the Winchester #8. The first round fired with no issues, but the shell got jammed up in the barrel and would not extract. So I unloaded her & removed the barrel. I used my Gerber Multipliar to remove the spent shell, and cleaned her real good. Went on to fire another 10 rounds with no issues. Today I fired off my first round of Winchester #8 and this time, I could not even rack the gun to attempt to extract. When I tried to pull back on the slide it barely moved and seemed to half cock the trigger. When I took the safety off and pulled on the trigger, it seemed like it was reset to fire again. I had to remove the trigger assembly and the holding doohickies to be able to unload the mag. After reassembling and testing with a few dry fires and such, I reloaded a mix of Winchester #8, Remington #4 and some Sluggers. Shot fine for the rest of the rounds, about 20 in all. Any ideas?

,,,,,kidding aside. with the gun empty and you rack it slowly,is the action smooth both ways?
meaning are you feeling any binding at all?

I checked it out today and if I rack it from a closed beach, Firstly it seems to take some force to start it moving back, then when I do it slow it does seem a little catchy along the way in both directions. This 88 is my second shotgun, but as I stated in my introduction post, my other one is a 100 year old Winchester 97, so comparing is not too good. I am going to the city tomorrow and plan to hit the local DICKS Sporting Good to test rack a few Mavericks there to see if I am really feeling something weird or if it is normal

also take a good look at your bolt at the extractor arms. this way you can compare the two.
keep us posted.

Back