• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

email Joe and ask him it's ok to ship both in the box. Can't see why not.

old mossy said:
email Joe and ask him it's ok to ship both in the box. Can't see why not.

That's what I'm going to do, I figure it has to be one or the other...there's not much else it can be!

I'm asking him this too, but how would I insure it goes in under warranty? It's basically just two parts, I'll give them the Serial #, but I just want to make sure.

Go to the post office,put it in one of their boxes and send it the fastest way.
Should be plenty of time.

old mossy said:
Go to the post office,put it in one of their boxes and send it the fastest way.
Should be plenty of time.

Yeah I'm going to tomorrow, I mean them knowing the Serial # and everything but I'll just e-mail it to Joe so he knows.

I would put att:Joe Zakher on the outside of the box and a note with the ser# inside the box. ;)
Just to make sure.

Packed it up today in a padded envelope and wrapped the bolt assembly and trigger assembly up in newspaper as well. Included a long note with the problem, Serial #, date of purchase, name, return address and all that. USPS said it should arrive Monday.

I'm just hoping they find a problem and don't say "We couldn't find an issue" and I'll be back to square 1 with no clue how to fix it!

MercyfulFate said:
Packed it up today in a padded envelope and wrapped the bolt assembly and trigger assembly up in newspaper as well. Included a long note with the problem, Serial #, date of purchase, name, return address and all that. USPS said it should arrive Monday.

I'm just hoping they find a problem and don't say "We couldn't find an issue" and I'll be back to square 1 with no clue how to fix it!

Based on past experiences with Mossberg service, I'm willing to wager you will be pleased with the solution. You just have to have a little patience. Take care. Tom Worthington

Hey everyone. I'm new to the shotgun ownership world, having recently purchased an M88 12g. I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice on this problem I'm having.

I took apart my 88 this afternoon to clean it (CLP all over creation). After reassembling, the action will slide about halfway back, then feels like it's binding. It'll rack forward just fine, but it comes to a hard stop a little less than halfway. It doesn't feel like metal bumping into metal - more like two pieces sandwiching/wedging together.

I've checked my assembly several times (followed multiple videos on youtube) and everything looks correct and is seated properly, but it just won't operate.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your Mav 88.
Sorry to hear you're having a problem. I know you don't want to hear this,but it sounds like you didn't put it back together correctly or you bent something like one of the action bars or ejector.
Not sure which video you watched, but take a look at this one,,,,
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26
I would tear it down and take a REAL good look.
Keep us posted.

Thanks for the quick response, mossy. I tore her back down and followed the video you posted, but no joy. I was talking to my neighbor, and he said it was likely something to do with the cartridge stop bars moving slightly during reassembly and causing the action to bind, though I don't know if this was experience or rectal extraction.

He might be correct,,,I put some oil on my finger and rub it on the back to hold them to the receiver.
Also you need to be careful that the bolt and the action bars are in the correct position or they will bind up the works. Another is the elevator pins are in the receiver.

It was racking ok before you tore it down ?

It was racking correctly before. This was the first teardown since I bought it a couple months ago. I'm going to revisit this tomorrow after work, so hopefully I'll pop on here with some good news later in the afternoon.

Sounds good. We'll get you going. :)

Here's a good pic to ID the parts for you.

Attachments

• InternalsDiagram.jpg
    InternalsDiagram.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 385
I'm a new mossberg owner and have a small scratch on the inside of the chamber on the top. Its almost more like a small gouge. Doesnt seem to be hindering operation of the weapon at all. Anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused it?

Welcome to the forum from NY. Have you cleaned the gun? Post a pic of the scratch if you can.

Maverick 88 problems

I recently bought my son the Maverick 88 youth pump, after one time in the field and after cleaning the gun it will not chamber a round. I have figured out that the cartridge interupter seems to drop down and blocks the shell carrier from picking up a round from the magazine and then chambering it. This has become very frustrating for me and my son. Please Help..

Mark

Re: Maverick 88 problems

Hello Mark. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your son's new Mav 88. Sorry to hear you are having a problem with it. Mossberg has been having a problem with some out of spec parts. It is usually it's a easy fix with the cartridge interrupter. Here's a link to the problem. There are a few pics you can compare yours to.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8835

If you don't want to try it yourself you can contact Joe at Mossberg.

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted.

I dont have camera I can use at the moment. I will try and get my hands on one. It wasnt cleaned after the initial purchase before firing. I put about 20 rounds of remington target loads through it. I have since cleaned the weapon. It doesnt seem to rub on the bolt or anything and the gun performed fine. Not to sure if it was there when I purchased it or if it occured after firing it. Maybe not cleaning the factory grease out could have been a culprit? I thought not cleaning the weapon intially could just lead to a potential jam? Any thoughts on the info I can provide minus a pic? I appreciate the response.

Back