• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train Bolt Action

Re: Need cheek rest for a Night Train?

Thanks Dan,
But I haven't had a lot of luck getting these to stick to synthetic stocks.

I really DON"T want to drill the stock as one friend suggested (Yikes!). I just want to raise the comb to make sight alignment more true and predictable not create a Frankenstein gun :)

Thanks again for the feedback. Keep those cards and letters coming...

My Night Train derailed...

Okay, I found and joined the forum because I ws having problems with my brand new Night Train (100 ATR in .308).

I shipped it off to the mother ship about 10 days ago and they told me on the phone this morning that they got it and started work on it yesterday.

They replaced the bolt assembly and test fired it with an assortment of ammo flavors (Remmy, Win, Fed, etc).
They said they are going to boresight it and "go through it" thoroughly before shipping it back. :)

I hope this turns out well because this is the first time M'berg has ever disappointed me. :(

I figure I'll have it in about a week and then it will probably be a few days till a weekend when I can go shoot it.
So... maybe only 8 or 9 days till I finally get to shoot my Night Train again :D

Re: My Night Train derailed...

Expat_PM said:
Okay, I found and joined the forum because I ws having problems with my brand new Night Train (100 ATR in .308).

I shipped it off to the mother ship about 10 days ago and they told me on the phone this morning that they got it and started work on it yesterday.

They replaced the bolt assembly and test fired it with an assortment of ammo flavors (Remmy, Win, Fed, etc).
They said they are going to boresight it and "go through it" thoroughly before shipping it back. :)

I hope this turns out well because this is the first time M'berg has ever disappointed me. :(

I figure I'll have it in about a week and then it will probably be a few days till a weekend when I can go shoot it.
So... maybe only 8 or 9 days till I finally get to shoot my Night Train again :D

What problems were you having so the restof us can try and be on the lookout for same.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

I fired seven rounds thorough it - first seven, it was brand new :(

I tried to chamber the eight round and bolt would not close. I could pull the round out and it would close just fine. With one in the pipe (tried 4 or 5 different flavors) no-go. Bolt just would not close.

Young lady on the phone at M'berg was VERY nice but she didn't really know much other than they replaced the bolt assembly and it test fired just fine.

This is a saga so I won't belabor it. I do love Mossberg and have been an evangelist for them at the ranges and out hunting for years. But I was VERY disappointed with this from the first day out of the box.

Bipod fell off in my hand first time out of box. I know, not a big deal. I just put it back on but everything I touched on that gun was wacked out some how.

It was "factory boresighted" and att 100 yds it was about 3 1/2' left and 4' high.
Then the bolt got all hosed up...

I got a bit of run around from their service center on top of everything else.
I bought it 10 days before opening day of whitetail season with the intent of bringing home some meat but of course that didn't happen. Just a bad experience.

I'm excited though to get it back and take it out in a few days to bag one. I will, of course, take one of my other rifles just as a backup. Trust is a funny thing. It can be there solid as a rock one second and then go away just like a vapor...

Expat_PM said:
I fired seven rounds thorough it - first seven, it was brand new :(

I tried to chamber the eight round and bolt would not close. I could pull the round out and it would close just fine. With one in the pipe (tried 4 or 5 different flavors) no-go. Bolt just would not close.

Young lady on the phone at M'berg was VERY nice but she didn't really know much other than they replaced the bolt assembly and it test fired just fine.

This is a saga so I won't belabor it. I do love Mossberg and have been an evangelist for them at the ranges and out hunting for years. But I was VERY disappointed with this from the first day out of the box.

Bipod fell off in my hand first time out of box. I know, not a big deal. I just put it back on but everything I touched on that gun was wacked out some how.

It was "factory boresighted" and att 100 yds it was about 3 1/2' left and 4' high.
Then the bolt got all hosed up...

I got a bit of run around from their service center on top of everything else.
I bought it 10 days before opening day of whitetail season with the intent of bringing home some meat but of course that didn't happen. Just a bad experience.

I'm excited though to get it back and take it out in a few days to bag one. I will, of course, take one of my other rifles just as a backup. Trust is a funny thing. It can be there solid as a rock one second and then go away just like a vapor...

I got nothing but run around from the yahoos until i asked for a supervisor and got javier. Amazingly everything got straightened out right then.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter said:
I got nothing but run around from the yahoos until i asked for a supervisor and got javier. Amazingly everything got straightened out right then.

Thanks, great advice. I'm calling agin this afternoon and will ask for a supervisor and inquire if Javier is available.

Thanks,

Okay, I FINALLY got my night train back. I've had it for almost two weeks but work has been crazier than normal so I haven't had time to either shoot it or to get on here and write about it till now.

So, they said that they replaced the bolt assembly. No other details and when I pressed the young lady on the phone for more specifics she said that the teck would include a full write up with the gun when it came back to me.

Alas, there were no details in the box when it arrived. However, there were two things that I was excited about: first, my gun (yeah!) and the bolt works as smooth as silk; second, the target they shot at when they bore sighted it. Hubba-hubba it was dead on the money!

I was excited to get it back but still a little leery about it - would it be right, would the bolt be farkled up again, would it it really hit where I pointed it, would they ever show episodes of Gilligan's Island again?

So I set it up at the range and popped off a few rounds and it was an amazingly tight shot group! Bang, bang, bang - three in the 10 ring!

It was a hassle, as these things always are, but in the end I have a magnificent rifle to show for it

mossberg.gif

Congrats bro!

Glad they got you fixed up. Now you biggest problem is gonna be keeping enough ammo on hand... :D

I had a similar experience with my Night Train. Couldn't hit a damn thing with it out of the box. Come to find out the scope all screwed up, looked like it had been dropped. And the barrel has tons of corrosion on it. I sent it back and about 4 weeks later, it arrived with a brand new scope, new picatinny rail and a full cleaning. The photocopy of the target they used looked good, but I have since put lower profile rings on mine so I've not yet had a chance to take it to the range. But I was very pleased with Mossberg's service. They made it right in the end, and I look forward to making more purchases in the future.

norcal_590 said:
... But I was very pleased with Mossberg's service. They made it right in the end, and I look forward to making more purchases in the future.

Agree whole-heartedly

That's what I like to hear !! Glad it worked out for the two of you... Now enjoy your new toys !!

100ATR Night Train keeps misfiring!!!!

I need some help. I won a 100ATR Night Train .308 at a NWTF Banquet about two years ago. I took it out of the box this past Spring and went outside to sight it in. Within 3 shots I was hitting dead on at 50 yards. Took a fourth shot and it hit dead on. A week later we went hog hunting in the swamp and the gun misfired while shooting at a 200 pound hog. I took the shell out and it barely dented the primer. Hog ran off… I figured it needed a cleaning. Cleaned the bolt and I shot it 6 or 7 times since then and had no problems until yesterday. Had six does in my plot and decided to take one out since it was the last day of gun season. Misfire, firing pin barely touched the primer. Just last week it killed a 250 pound hog at about 70 yards. Since I wasn’t shooting at a big buck it didn’t bother me too much. Any ideas what may be going on with the firing pin? I will not use this gun again until I can figure out what is going on. It has not been very dependable when it’s services are needed.

Re: 100ATR Night Train keeps misfiring!!!!

Same thing was happening with my (my son's) 4x4 .25-06....

Sent it back to Mossberg, they replaced the bolt assembly, and trigger assy and adjusted the head-space for the new bolt.

Call Mossberg and have them send you a return shipping label... They'll take care of you.

Make sure to call, don't e-mail, it's too easy to ignore an e-mail.....

Smitty

Night Train II Muzzle Brake

Hello folks new member here. I just purchased a brand new NT II and I hate the giant muzzle brake. I would like to replace it with one that looked and functioned better but my owners manual failed to supply me with any information on the removal and threading style of this beast. Also as I understand it there is supposed to be a muzzle cap that screws over the threads when the brake is removed mine did not come with one should it have?

Re: Night Train II Muzzle Brake

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum LDMcFear !!

Your question is out of my wheelhouse but welcome to the forums!

Thanks Guys for the Welcome I also just ordered a SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) Stock from Boyds Gunstocks :) I should have it Saturday can't wait to really sit down and and put some time behind this rifle.

Back