• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Newbie question re: storage position for action

I'm new to this forum (liking it already) and new to owning a shotgun. I have 2 kids (6 and 8) and my wife and I are concerned about gun safety...I lost a brother to a gun accident. I currently keep my pistol in a drawer safe in my nightstand (pushbutton combo that I can operate blindfolded). The shotgun can with a cable lock (not crazy about it) and it is what I use for now with the shotshells in the safe. Looking for ideas for a way to have easy access to gun/ammo, but also keeping the kids safe. Thinking about keeping mag loaded (cruiser ready?) with the action open and cable lock in place. This would require closing then cycling the action to chamber a round. Thoughts??? Suggestions??

Theres another thread very much alongthe same lines as this one about safe storage.

One of te things I had seen in the thread i think was a longish flat safe that could go under the bed and operated very similarly to the pushbutton pistol safe.

I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here!

Re: issues with Tacstar Sidesaddle......

Just for an update on everyone for this. The company mailed me a new bolt very quickly, and it now fits perfectly.....pics to follow soon.....

95092.gif

The Loc-Box™ Firearm Security System provides you with a reliable and effective way to help prevent unwanted access to your firearm by children or other unauthorized persons.

Re: issues with Tacstar Sidesaddle......

Outstanding!

I love a company that stands by their products. Looking forward to the pics...

I saw that lock box on You Tube a couple of weeks ago and it looked pretty interesting. I may have to look into that since it could allow me to keep weapon ready AND keep my kids safe. The video on YT showed the guy installing and talking about the Lock Box...worth watching if interested.

Full Choke

Just bought a used Mossberg 500, looks like a field model with 28" ribbed barrel. It only came with one barrel which has a full choke in it. New to shotgun execept for a dbl barrel 20 gauge uplander with short barrels. Is it safe to shoot 00 buckshot thur a full choke? Planning on getting thr 18 1/2 barrel for it later on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, also how about steel shots.

Re: Full Choke

OO buck is fine.
Steel depends on the choke. I believe the accu-choke are rated for steel, but a fixed barrel choke may not be.

Welcome to the boards!

The Mossberg vent ribbed barrels commonly come with three choke tubes. Full, modified and improved cylinder. It is common to find one choke installed and the other two missing with a used shotgun.

You may want to round up the other two choke tubes for it, and use the modified or improved cylinder choke tubes for steel shot.

I have in my youthful exuberance run steel shot through a full choke tube and survived the experience. Though I damaged the choke tube in the process. Can and should are two entirely different things :)

Gunner said:
Welcome to the boards!

The Mossberg vent ribbed barrels commonly come with three choke tubes. Full, modified and improved cylinder. It is common to find one choke installed and the other two missing with a used shotgun.

You may want to round up the other two choke tubes for it, and use the modified or improved cylinder choke tubes for steel shot.

I have in my youthful exuberance run steel shot through a full choke tube and survived the experience. Though I damaged the choke tube in the process. Can and should are two entirely different things :)
Like Ive said before, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. :roll:

Mossberg 500 Persuader: Shooting Slugs & Buckshot

I bought a M500 Persuader 7+1

What is the best type of slug and the best type of buckshot to use without hurting my barrel?? I'm new to shot guns. So far I have shot about 15 #8 Birdshot shells through it already.

I uploaded a photo of my beloved M500 Persuader w/ side saddle:)

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,241
Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader: Shooting Slugs & Buckshot

I do believe as long as it cylinder bore you can use just about anything. For the best results I would use rifled slugs but make sure to try a few different brands because what works in someones gun may not hold very good grouping in yours. Same goes for buck shot I've heard great reviews on the federal w/ flight control stuff but have yet to try it in my own gun again it depends on what patterns well with your gun. Im sure I've missed a few details that some of the other folks will point out to you and nice looking gun.

DroidX Tapatalk

Mossberg 500 Persuader: Shooting Slugs & Buckshot

Smooth bore use rifled slugs. Rifled bore use sabot slugs. More than likely you have a smooth bore. Winchester makes a reduced recoil 2 3/4 inch 1 ounce rifled slug that I like. They're called WINLITE shotshells. Since your shotty is a pump it will cycle anything, that's the beauty of a pump shotgun.

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader: Shooting Slugs & Buckshot

I know you're excited about your shotgun, and I don't blame you one bit. I would be too.

But~~~

Didn't we have an very similar thread from you just a few days ago about slugs in your gun? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3506&p=42534#p42534

I think you could have simply dovetailed into your earlier thread your question as to what's "best" for your gun so as to keep things less cluttered for other readers. Just sayin'.........

Thanks alot for the replies. Will also get a improved cylinder choke to shoot slugs through it.

Back