• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Can I shoot Flares

With all due respect to everyone here to me this is a case of just because you possibly can, doesn't mean you EVER should.

There's a reason these things are fired from short barrels. The flares we're talking about burn at 3000°f and are intended to leave the host barrel immediately. Even the slightest bit of fouling or other obstruction in your shotgun barrel could cause the flare to stick and you'd end up with a pyrotechnic squib in your barrel burning at 3000°f for up to ten seconds.

The best and most responsible advice I can offer is to call the manufacturers of any flares you intend to use directly and ask if they recommend using their products in a shotgun. Then, call the manufacturer of the shotgun you intend to use and ask if they recommend shooting 12ga flares out of their weapon.

If you don't get the green light from all parties involved, it's just not worth the potential risk to yourself or anyone around you...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
There's a reason these things are fired from short barrels. The flares we're talking about burn at 3000°f and are intended to leave the host barrel immediately. Even the slightest bit of fouling or other obstruction in your shotgun barrel could cause the flare to stick and you'd end up with a pyrotechnic squib in your barrel burning at 3000°f for up to ten seconds

I was not aware that they started burning that hot that fast, definitely not worth the risk.

The energetic compounds in these flares are based on potassium or strontium nitrates mixed with fillers like magnesium, sawdust, charcoal etc. Not something you want to mess with...

Thanks for the info

I've never tried them. I did try shooting up in the air once when I was lost but I ran out of arrows long before anyone found me. ;)

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Of course, there are always the orange plastic flare pistols designed for just that singular use.

That's my line of thought as well.

Flare guns are cheap, packable, readily available, and a helluva lot safer...

original mossberg 500 fiber optics

Hello everyone. I have recently bought Mossberg 500 Woodlands Camo VR Ported with fiber optic sights installed.
The problem is that i lost the back sight (i dont know how) so i would like to replace it with the same.
Does enyone knows which sights (brand) mossberg uses and where i can find them? I can't find anything at mossberg's web page.
Thank you.

Re: original mossberg 500 fiber optics

Hello and welcome aboard!

They are very likely LPA fiber optic sights, but I can't find any information to substantiate this. Mossberg's catalog doesn't give any specifics as to the brand sights they use, so your best bet would be to call Mossberg sales directly for a replacement...

(203) 230-5300

I live in greece and am not so sure that the store i bought it from can help me. Thanks for the answer anyway.
Is there anyone else that can help me?

LPA is actually based in Italy, so if that's what they use it may not be that difficult for you to get a replacement.

What I can do is call Mossberg on your behalf tomorrow if you'd like and at least try to find out exactly what sights they use. If you can post the model number of your shotgun I'll see what information I can come up with...

i would really be greatful. The model number is Mossberg 500 Woodlands Camo VR Ported 52195 Cal 12.

OK, thanks for the info.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back here with what I find out...

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Mossberg.

They could not provide any information on who manufactures their vent rib fiber optic sights. However, the Rep I spoke with is sending me a replacement for your missing rear sight. It'll be in my posession in about 7-10 days, so in the meantime we just need to figure out how to get it to you in Greece...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

They could not provide any information on who manufactures their vent rib fiber optic sights. However, the Rep I spoke with is sending me a replacement for your missing rear sight. It'll be in my posession in about 7-10 days, so in the meantime we just need to figure out how to get it to you in Greece...

What a great thing to do for our internation friend here, I've been amazed at the hospitality and "help your neighbor" attitude I've seen on this forum!

Greekpow, I'm curious as to what the firearms laws are in Greece. I lived in Germany for most of my childhood and know a little about their laws concerning guns but not much about other European countries.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I just can't beleive your kindness and hospitallity. I can only say thank you. I think that there is no free of charge (for you i mean) way to send me the sight. Do you think that if i go to the shop i bought the shotgun they can order a sight directly from mossberg?

greekpow said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I just can't beleive your kindness and hospitallity. I can only say thank you. I think that there is no free of charge (for you i mean) way to send me the sight. Do you think that if i go to the shop i bought the shotgun they can order a sight directly from mossberg?

Sniper, Greekpow... I send stuff internationally for my wife quite often. As long as the package is under 13oz... International First Class is very cheap(from the U.S anyways), just make sure to keep the declared cost on the customs form low, that way greekpow doesn't have to pay an arm and a leg.

I'll send you a PM, so you can respond with your info once the sight arrives.

There will be very little weight, so it'll only cost a few dollars to send the package to you via USPS Priority of First Class international mail. It's not a problem and I'm glad to do it. Besides, I have no use for the sight and I'd rather get it to you so we can get some photos and a range report.

Just consider it a small gesture toward ongoing international relations... :lol:

once again you are leaving me speechless sniper. Anyway i will give it a try with the local shop here in Greece. Maybe you can save this dollars because you never know what will happen tomorow. Don't you see what suddenly happened to my country :lol: ?
Now about the law in Greece it is a little strict. You can only have a shotgun for hunting purposes (no rifles or other guns) and to use it for home defence you have to be shot first. Even if you find someone in your house you cant use it unless you can prove that your life was in real danger

Re: New 500C Field Gun issues

kcb37 said:
However just cycling the action causes the safety to migrate to safe. After 2 or 3 cycles even very slow and very little pressure, just enough to full cycle the safety will move towards safe a bit each time, the 3rd time it will not fire.
Is their something I can do to fix this so I do not have to send it to mossberg?
I have experienced the same issue with a 590 - there is a thread already about this issue, as a number of shooters seem to have encountered it.
There also seem to be a number of possible causes - the standard safety is plastic, and wears, so ideally replace with a metal one [like the one shown elsewhere in this thread]; you can get crud caught under the safety, such that the small ball doesn't properly mesh into the holes in the plate - the safety is then free to slide when any force [such as racking the slide] is applied to the gun. One chap reported that the rear of the bolt was catching on the metal part inside the gun that links to the safety, and he filed some metal off the part. [Dismantling is a little tricky with the 590 because Mossberg insist on using a one-way screw to hold the safety in place, but it can be done]. There does also seem to be some over-travel on the safety - eg when the safety is off it can be pushed slightly too far past the detent position, such that the small ball is not properly in the hole in the plate but is actually outside the hole and pushing up against the plate itself - consequently it will easily slide when recoil force is applied. This would seem to be a manufacturing fault?
I cured mine by removing the existing safety and replacing it with a metal one. The overtravel issue seems to be cured - the safety "clicks" when in the correct position.
Hope this helps - good luck - it really is something that I think Mossberg should've addressed.

Back