• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: sights

There are a couple of ways to get them on but only one proper way in my eye. A silver soldered front post -- a rear sight either mounted in a dove tail or the receiver drilled and taped for a rail with the rear aperture mounted to the rail or the rear aperture assembly screwed to holes in the receiver. This is the most secure way and the front post still can break off, especially if it isn’t done right. JB weld is one of the top 10 best inventions but I don’t think I could keep a front sight on with an epoxy and at the end of the day sights falling off of your gun is a bad thing. If the JB had something substantial to grip than maybe…..

Re: original mossberg 500 fiber optics

Ok greekpow,

Your package is on the way and I sent a PM with details. I think this replacement unit will fit just fine. Keep us posted once you receive it and we'll need some photos of your 500 with the new sight installed...

Re: Mossberg Owners Social Media

I have a 500 turkey thug, if I remove the choke will I be able to shoot slugs for deer season or should I get another barrel?

Re: Barrel/Choke Question

You will be able to shoot slugs through that barrel just fine but you will need to replace the turkey choke with one that is slug friendly. Either rifled or Improved Cylinder will work.

Re: 20 Gauge Security Barrel For 500

I finally orderred mine today.

They are quoting 3-4 weeks shipping now.

I'll post some pics when it comes in.

Re: Barrel/Choke Question

I don't think you want to shoot them over the threads because of lead accumulation. So any tube from CYL to FULL will work well

Re: 20 Gauge Security Barrel For 500

I bought one last year and have it on my 500c and use it strickly for HD. I tested it with a variety of ammo and it did well but it shoots slugs very high. I keep it ready to go with #3 buck

What is this type of barrel called?

Ok, time to kick the newbie around a bit. I got a question. I picked up a used 500 12ga. a while back. The SN begins with a "T" and it's the JIC type that has been attracting me lately. The pic attached is the exact one I have. The thing is I'm not familair with the proper term for this barrel. It's the 18.5 with the "Breacher" end.

I've searched for the parts I want to change out, stock, rails, heat guard and shell holders. I've got my list made and parts in mind but barrel is a question I can not find the answer to. I did buy a heat guard that I thought was a bolt on with no mods, as it was listed for my model. It stated "Smooth Barrel" as I assumed (Love that word) that it a would fit. I should have known better because of the taper.

After an hour of modding the heat guard I got it to fit in fine form. Not the way it was intended but it will do just fine.

So exactly what is this barrel called? And any limitations to the type of shells that can be used in it? Like slugs? Steel shot?

Thanks for not shooting me.......this time.

Mike

Attachments

• 54125 copy.jpg
    54125 copy.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 617
Re: What is this type of barrel called?

Welcome aboard Snaggletooth,

It's called a "breacher" barrel or is also referred to as a "stand-off" barrel. The PGO (pistol grip only) configuration is called a "cruiser". So what you have is a model 500 Cuiser with a breacher barrel.

Your shotgun is one of the anomalies from Mossberg in that it is a model 500 that is configured with a 590 barrel and mag tube assembly. The barrel is essentially a heavy walled 590 barrel that has had the breaching device permanently fixed. It's a smoothe bore just like any other and is fine to shoot both slugs and shot.

...oh, and don't worry about get'n hastled for askin questions. We don't do tha that around here. Feel free to jump in on the conversation and let us know if you have any other questions...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard Snaggletooth,

It's called a "breacher" barrel or is also referred to as a "stand-off" barrel. The PGO (pistol grip only) configuration is called a "cruiser". So what you have is a model 500 Cuiser with a breacher barrel.

Your shotgun is one of the anomalies from Mossberg in that it is a model 500 that is configured with a 590 barrel and mag tube assembly. The barrel is essentially a heavy walled 590 barrel that has had the breaching device permanently fixed. It's a smoothe bore just like any other and is fine to shoot both slugs and shot.

...oh, and don't worry about get'n hastled for askin questions. We don't do tha that around here. Feel free to jump in on the conversation and let us know if you have any other questions...

LES beat me to it. He is 110% correct. BTW welcome to the forum!!

Thanks much for the quick replies. I'm a big fan of knowing my parts and what they are capable of. I realized a while back there would be some limitations to this barrel when I started considering items like a heat guard and a possible mag extention. (thanks to lurking around the forums here) The guard, got it figured out. God bless Dremel Tools. Looks like the barrel will stay as it is without a mag extention.

It's been a few decades since I last owned a shotty so I'm re-educating myself on my new addition. The other 12's I owned were used for knocking down tasty treats. This one is headed to the "Varmit" section. No plans for dinner with the new one.

But as this project come along I'm sure I'll be around with more questions and issues.

Thanks again.

Mike

Glad to help,

With the 590 mag tube assembly you won't have any issues adding an extension and the breaching device won't be in the way. Only issue would be the length it adds, so anything longer than a +1 extension is probably gonna stick out past the end of the barrel. The question becomes is the one extra round worth the cost of the extension. Only other drawback is that you won't be able to use a support clamp, but they're not really necessary on the shorter extensions. I run a Nordic Comp. +2 under the breacher barrel on my 930 and the fit and function is perfect...

We're looking forward to pics of your 500, so post 'em up when you get a chance...

That's the thing I've been juggling on the extention issue. The cost compared to function. If I need that one extra round compared to 5 or 6 available.......I need more time at the range. :lol:

I sat down last night and ordered a stock (finally). So many to chose from. It took me a while to decide. Sounds like the new ATI Talon will do the trick. Hope it proves me right.

Need to see the Triton mounts with the new stock and decide on a single point sling.

The top rail should be here this week and then to decide on the sight I want to use. Looking at the Reflex types as they seem to be the best bet for moving targets and quick lock on.

Then to chose a tactical foregrip with rails or...... one with the tactical light and pressure switch ready to install. Again, choices.

But I only have a few pics so far. The heat guard project. I bought one of the plastc/fiberglass models and had to convince it to fit. Too long with the breacher barrel and the front clamps would not line up the way they would on a regular barrel. I cut 6mm off the back side of the guard with the clamp ring (and still retain most of it) to get the front clamps moved back to clear the mag support. At least one of them did any way. I took the bottom half of the front clamp and cut it down and shaped it to wrap around the mag support and more or less add some stability to the guard. A little shaping on the bottom of the rear clamp to make room between the barrel and the mag tube and a couple of longer screws brought that together. Looks like it will hold up pretty well.

So the project is underway. I'll post more pics as things go along.

Thanks again,

Mike

Attachments

• HG mounted 02.jpg
    HG mounted 02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 581
  • HG mod 01.jpg
    HG mod 01.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 583

Looks great man, nice work! Welcome to MO!

Thanks guys. In this world of modern technology and a "throw away" mentality I still value fabrication as an art form. I guess that comes from my primary hobbie of maintaining and restoring older motorcycles. Sometimes there are no "right" parts and the process begins to make a part, one way or the other. Good Lord I hope that don't carry over too much on this project. This was easy, Plastic. Probably change that later in the game if this one don't hold up but for now........

Every project starts with a "What if?" don't it?

There's an old saying in the bike circle that every motorcycle is $2,000 away from being finished.

What's the going rate on a Mossy 500? :lol:

Mike

When it's all said & done, you just wanna make sure you haven't spent more on accessories than you did on the shotgun...

Back