• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Troubleshooting

The bolt is hitting the safety block when I pump the gun knocking the safety from fire to safe. Not sure how to fix this problem. I will order a new safety block and see if that works. I have removed the safety and put the gun in the safe for now. Guess its time to call Mossberg CS and see what they say. Glad I have a backup gun.

Hey guys. Anyone know why my girlfriends 590 get stuck when you pull the action back? (firing or not). It seems like the elevator is getting stuck on the sides of the receiver in the down position. I can force it foreword but don't Wana keep doin that. Gotta respect it's health u know? Lol thanks

It's maybe had like 250 shells through it. Cleaned it and worked fine. Took it outa the safe just to check it out again and it was sticking

Thats a little odd. I remember mine stickin when it was new. It took about 500 rounds to get it smoothed out.

I'd start by breakin it all the way down again and carefully cleanin each piece, then very lightly oil, wipin off the excess, and reassembling it. That will rule out the issue of needin to be cleaned if it persists afterwards. While its broke down though, look for uneven or unusual wear in spots, like on the action slide bars, bolt slide and elevator. Make note of these, mental or otherwise.

If it persists, cycle the action and try lookin for those wear spots to see if somethin is binding weird.

We'll get ya figured out eventually!

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully I'll have time soon to try it. I was thinking maybe the forend is getting hung up on the receiver or something because it kind of goes around it when it's all the way back. It's an ATI forend not the factory in case that was confusing

Ahhh, ok... Well, at this point anything is possible and I wont yet rule it out! ;)

Let us know what you find, and if at all possible, get some pics of anything you find, it may be useful!

Later!

I thought I would add my experiences to this thread. Last month I bought a Mossberg 590 12-gauge (serial number starts with a P and I don't have it with me at the moment to get any of the numbers... I haven't contacted Mossberg for the year of manufacture, either) from a friend of a friend for home defense. It has the longer magazine (8+1 2 3/4 cartridges), a heat shield, and it's pre-tapped for sights or a rail. It had never been fired, and I got it for a great price. It's my first shotgun, so I didn't know anything about them so this has been a real learning experience.

After buying some Fiocchi #4 buckshot rounds and trying to run them through (without firing), I discovered that they would fall out the bottom of the receiver. The friend I went through to buy the gun gave me some bird shot rounds to run through and those would intermittently rack correctly, but some would end up falling out the bottom. We cleaned the magazine tube and the follower thinking that might have been the problem, but to no avail: rounds were still falling out the bottom.

I had to go on a trip for a week, so when I got home I went to my local outfitters and purchased some A-Zoom snap caps to run through (the thought of running live rounds through it was still somewhat frightening to me at this point) and they racked perfectly. Being unfamiliar with the mechanics of shotguns, I downloaded the manual (for the breakdown instructions and exploded diagram) and read up on how it worked. I also spent an hour or so comparing the difference between how the A-Zooms and the Fiocchi rounds went through the gun. As an aside, I learned a TON about how the gun functions and would recommend everyone spend at least 15 minutes watching how all of the parts move in their shotgun.

I had been browsing this site (particularly this thread and some of the other sites linked to in this thread) ever since I first had trouble with the gun, so I was aware of problems with the cartridge stop, however it was properly getting out of the way for both the A-Zooms and the live cartridges. (Note: directions like top and bottom in the next few sentences will be relative to the gun in a firing position rather than on a bench taking it apart) What I found was that when the forearm was pulled back, the cartridge interrupter (part #12 on the exploded view in the manual) would engage and pinch the live rounds against the top of the magazine tube, but it did this milliseconds after the cartridge stop was out of the way so the cartridge was slightly past the stop. Once the forearm was pushed forward, the interrupter would lower and release the cartridge into the receiver (since it was past the stop) and it would drop out the bottom. I figured out the cartridges were pinched because with the forearm pulled back, I was unable to move the cartridge in the magazine: it was stuck. With the cartridge stuck, I could take a small screwdriver, use the receiver as a fulcrum, and push the interrupter down to release the cartridge.

With this knowledge (and two great videos I found: http://youtu.be/oahhxCMDFB8 and http://youtu.be/GX8GsZNQpds), another friend and I slowly ground down the end of the interrupter to allow all cartridges to pass through. Note: we did this VERY slowly. I think I disassembled and reassembled the receiver 5-7 times, each time only taking off a very tiny bit of the interrupter with a Dremel. Our thought process was that if we took too little off, we could always take it apart and take more off; if we took too much, we couldn't put any back on ;). It was a slow process, but it paid off!

I took it out to the range yesterday and put 24 rounds of birdshot and 8 Fiocchi rounds through it and had no misfeeds. I'm also happy to report that I have a nice bruise on my shoulder (remember, I'm a shotgun newb). Thanks to all the people who posted in this thread. It saved me from taking the gun to an expensive gunsmith, sending it to Mossberg, or returning it. Hopefully this post can help someone else in the future.

Welcome aboard Sir!

Glad to see you got your situation figured out. Thank you for the detailed post and explanation of your solution. Nice work...

Dude, its absolutely helpful, thanks for taking the time to post your issues and fix!!!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners, hope to see you around some more!

Great job Bryan, and nicely written up. If only more people would take the time to learn "how it works" and try to do it themselves....I'm a firm believer in DiY stuff. Specially my own guns...
another +1 to you...(so what if you get 3 +1's for the same post...it's that good!)

Hey guys,

Just bought my first 590A1 brand new and love it. Took her out to the range yesterday and put about 75 standard Winchester Universal shells through her when I noticed what can only be described as "flaking" on the inside of the barrel. It doesn't look like any residue I've ever seen before.

Does the inside of the 590A1 have a coating that could possibly be wearing off? I foolishly didn't really pay attention when I cleaned and lubed her (I was just too excited I guess!) Local gunshop owner hasn't ever seen anything like it in his days either... I'll try to get a good picture

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks!

I've not seen anything like either.

Does stuff come out if you run a bronze brush through it?

Man, no clue. Ill. Watch for the pics!

The_RadColoradan said:
Hey guys,

Just bought my first 590A1 brand new and love it. Took her out to the range yesterday and put about 75 standard Winchester Universal shells through her when I noticed what can only be described as "flaking" on the inside of the barrel. It doesn't look like any residue I've ever seen before.

Does the inside of the 590A1 have a coating that could possibly be wearing off? I foolishly didn't really pay attention when I cleaned and lubed her (I was just too excited I guess!) Local gunshop owner hasn't ever seen anything like it in his days either... I'll try to get a good picture

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new A1!

While what you've described is not normal, I can say that I've seen others post here with the same issue in the past. The flaking is understandably annoying, but shouldn't cause any real issues. To start, I'd give it a good cleaning with solvents and a bronze brush to remove as much of the flaking material as possible.

Otherwise, you could send the gun back to Mossberg for a new barrel and play the waiting game...

Just got a 590A1 with 20" bbl. full length magazine tube. I can only get 7 rounds into the mag. I'm talking about 2 3/4" shells. Isn't this supposed to be a 9 shot gun? Also, does that mean 9 in the mag and 1 chambered, or 8 in the mag and 1 chambered to make 9?

SpyderTattoo said:
Just got a 590A1 with 20" bbl. full length magazine tube. I can only get 7 rounds into the mag. I'm talking about 2 3/4" shells. Isn't this supposed to be a 9 shot gun? Also, does that mean 9 in the mag and 1 chambered, or 8 in the mag and 1 chambered to make 9?

Welcome from MI!!

9 shot usually means 8+1 But I'm not sure id there is a standard in advertising.

There have been many posts about this. Some manufactures ammo is longer than others. Often just enough so to cause one less round to fir depending the gun. Some people just use different ammo, others experiemnt with trimming the spring or filing doen the follower if it has a long tail that is hitting the end of the magazine tube.

Back