• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

Re: My first AR build

John A. said:
And thus why I don't frown on anyone else's choices. I know what I need and what I have and know that I can count on mine. And that's what's ultimately important, although I know a few guys who seem to take things all personal and get butt-hurt if you stray too far from the chart. :roll: Or use a different brand of optic or batteries, or ......

I dont' live my life or make decisions for myself for everyone else's approval.

If you think you need a certain feature for a certain application, by all means, get it.

I agree, I've watched flame fests for quite some time of different forums because everyone likes to criticise everyone elses choices. Heck I got ripped to shreads for the parts I used in MY AR (different forum). I know what I like, what I can afford and what I can live with/without. I don't mind if people question a choice and ask why I used one part over another but makes no sends to berate me for my choices when I'm the one paying for it and I'm the one that's stuck if it fails.

wow, I am looking at my past posts and I should pay more atention! In my defense I have been stuck at home with the flu sense Thursday night making posts from my phone, still taking cold meds... :lol:

Creeping along...

I got my Spikes Tactical Forged M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver yesterday.

I think the barrel is the next purchase just so it then looks like a rifle. :cool:

2012-01-16192007.jpg

2012-01-16192225.jpg

2012-01-16192326.jpg

2012-01-16192347.jpg

Ooooooooooooh, NICE!

It's coming along nicely bro. That's gonna be one helluva good lookin rifle when it's done. NICE WORK!

My first AR build

Agreed! Looks killer. I'm going to have to look for some canadian retailers that carry uppers/lowers/parts kits

Since there are some experienced AR builders here, I'd like to ask a few questions. I have a hybrid AR15 (not an M4gery, but pretty close) that was built by Dylan Saunders of 7.62 Precision in Anchorage and it turned out so nice that I went right out and bought two stripped lowers (one Double Star and one Tactical Innovations) and two completion kits. I want to build one into a 9mm carbine and the other into a .458 SOCOM carbine. Right now I am concentrating on the 9mm carbine. I've been on the verge of ordering parts for the last 4-5 months, but I haven't made my final decision. Can anyone here suggest a vendor for a complete upper that has flat top w/picatinny, no front sight, quad rail that extends to the muzzle? I really like the uppers that don't require a special trigger/hammer (CMMG, I think) and have the special 9mm ramp. I've seen some versions of this carbine on the 'net, but no details were given for the parts or vendors. I know, I know - too many questions, but I was hoping maybe someone here has done this or seen it done.

Your question would probably be better in its' own topic, but I'll try to answer anyway.

I have a bunch of 9mm carbines, but not an AR carbine. I'll tell you that up front, but I do have experience with them.

As for the "special" hammer, that isn't a big deal. You can use it in your regular AR lower too. or you may already have the hammer.

The preferred hammer for a 9mm upper has a flat face, with no high ridges that can catch/bind the bolt. Most guys I know use DPMS hammers for their pistol cal builds. So that's not really anything big to worry about.

I'm fairly certain that there are only 2 styles of 9mm upper available. The colt/RRA/CMMG style, and the olympic arms style.

Most people will usually say the colt style needs the bolt ramped and polished. And the olympic style is ready to go onto a regular lower and fire control, but needs to buy their modified sten magazines, or a Hahn mag block and use regular sten mags

Here's a couple of links to help you out.
http://hahn-precision.com/Sten-9mm-Adap ... ST0105.htm

http://olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop. ... t&Itemid=5

http://oa2.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6493

(PS if you call and order it from the factory and want a flat top, you can order it without the carry handle and save some cash over what's listed on their website).

Also, they have only recently began making their proprietary magazine that doesn't require a mag block and fits in a regular AR magwell. The magazine has all the extra mumbo jumbo made into it). You get one with the upper, but extra's are far too expensive in my humble opinion. But they do make it a lot more plug and play and one normally comes with the upper if you order it from them anyway.

If it were me going that route, I would buy the flat top upper without carrying handle, and the Hahn precision olympic style mag block I linked above and a ton of surplus sten mags. Just my 2 cents.

If you plan to use a collapsible stock, you will also need a 9mm buffer (which are heavier than a normal buffer) on any style you choose to prevent it from battering the bolt carrier too bad when you shoot. That's required no matter which type of 9mm upper you want and is just the nature of the beast because pistol cal uppers are direct blowback and don't need a gas tube or gas block, etc. So a heavier than normal buffer is going to be needed either way.

Doesn't have to be from here or this brand, but here's a link to one to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... duct_id=85

If you are using it with a regular rifle A1 or A2 buttstock, no special buffer will be needed because rifle buffers are inherently heavier and made different than a collapsible stock buffer.

If it were me going that route, I would buy the flat top upper without carrying handle, and the Hahn precision olympic styl mag block like I linked above and a ton of surplus sten mags. Just my 2 cents.

VitSports6 said:
Very nice indeed!
Sorry, I missed some of the chit chat, What barrel are you looking into?

Currently I am looking into a Daniel Defense Barrel, AR-15, 5.56x45mm NATO, M4 Contour, Carbine Gas Port, 1 in 7" Twist, 16", Hammer Forged, Chrome Lined, Chrome Moly, Matte Finish.

Daniel Defence seems to get a lot of good rep from what I am seeing.

5.56x45 NATO is the most common round I will find so it will be the easiest to aquire and cheapest.

M4 coutour deals with the weight of the barrel, it is the standard cut and I didn't want a lightweight barrel.

Carbine gas port will have slightly more kick than a mid legnth gas port, but I am OK with that (and I also bought a carbine weighted gas buffer, so I wanted to match that).

1 in 7 twist ratio so I can stabilize the NATO weights of 55 to 62 grain projectiles. This should also stabilize the heavier 75 grain and up match ammo should I decide I want to use it)

Hammer forged becase I have read that that style of forging process is supposed to create better and more durable rifling.

Chrome lined because it also adds to the life of the barrel.

If I have pointed myself in the wrong direction and anyone sees an issue, I have no issue with hearing your point of view.

Thanks, John A., for all the info. What other 9mm carbines do you have? I'd really like to build an MP5/94 from scratch, but I would guess the lower is not available and the parts would be extremely expensive, anyway. I have a genuine 91 and a genuine 93, so a DIY 94 would be nice to have.

Nothing wrong with your choices RIP. Sounds like a fine barrel.

I don't think a carbine gas length port kicks harder though. 5.56 doesn't kick much anyway.

The M4 cut is simply nothing more than a lathed notch in the barrel to accept an M203 grenade launcher, or 37mm smoke/flare or more specialized Knights Masterkey 870 shotgun under barrel mount between the front sight and the muzzle.

What a lot of people don't know about hammer forged barrels, is they start out as a hollow tube and ran through a machine that hammers (squashes) the hollow tube down onto a mandrel that has the rifling made into it and basically, that kind of barrel is formed from the outside in, rather than the usual inside out boring out a hole in a solid piece of steel and then running a button (or other type of die) through it to make the rifling.

They say less heat is created while hammer forging, and the rifling can be much better since the barrel is actually formed around the rifling.

My Ak has a hammer forged barrel by Steyr. It's surprisngly accurate.

But from what I hear, the machinery is very expensive and not many around, thus raising the cost of the products too.

radar_ralf said:
Thanks, John A., for all the info. What other 9mm carbines do you have? I'd really like to build an MP5/94 from scratch, but I would guess the lower is not available and the parts would be extremely expensive, anyway. I have a genuine 91 and a genuine 93, so a DIY 94 would be nice to have.

I have an MP5K that I SBR'd and I have a transferable M10A1 SMG.

Concentrating on the MP5 that you asked about, there are a few places that sell receivers. (They don't actually have lowers, they have trigger packs/grip housings like the 91).

Atlantic Firearms has probably the largest selection of roll marks. Including vector recievers that you could build up from a surplus parts kit, but you probably wouldn't save any money doing it yourself over buying and building unfortunately.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct884.aspx

Or they have several different complete ones here:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/category.aspx?cid=93

And of course, a couple places like HKPRO sell receiver flats that you have to bend and weld and things, but I wouldn't dream of going that route, unless I had an actual HK jig for them. And of course, no one is ever going to get one of them in their hands anyway.

I don't mind talking more about this, but prefer to do it in a different/dedicated topic so we don't totally hijack RIPNSNORTs thread because it's entirely unrelated.

Thanks John. Sounds like you were able to provide a little more detail for what I alreay read about. Appreciate the insight.

John A. said:
I have heard the phrase go chrome or go home on more than one occasion, but if you are capable of cleaning your weapon at regular intervals, it's not as big of an issue to me personally where I live.

But you know your local environment better than me. If you subject your gun to a lot of coastal salt/sea air and moisture or other muck, chrome lining may be better for you.

That's really the best benefit to designing your own AR is you determine what is the "best" options for you and not stuck with what any particular manufacturer offers.

me personally, all but one of my AR barrels are stainless steel underneath of a phosphate finish, which gives me excellent corrosion resistance (for where I live) and more than acceptable accuracy.

Alhough I have owned numerous "regular" chromemoly barrels too, and I've never had one rust with normal use and regular cleaning.

So as much as I would like to be able to give you a definitive answer, I can only offer my opinion on this and can share what works for me, where I live.

My climate swings from usually a low of around -5 degree's in the worst part of winter and on average about 30 degree's up to about 110 in the summer so I do get a lot of temperature swing. And Extremely high humidity of 90% or greater in the warmer months which is a killer.

But other than the southern heat and humidity, isn't very corrosive, aside from normal fog and rain so with normal cleaning procedures, I don't have any problems with any barrel type rusting.

Thankfully, my area doesn't have a lot of smog, acid rain, or coastal air blowing in from the ocean.

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but in my area, a chrome lined barrel isn't really necessary.

So John in your opinion which is better monolithic ar or direct impingement ar? I like monolithic.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter said:
So John in your opinion which is better monolithic ar or direct impingement ar? I like monolithic.

All my AR's are direct impingement, except for the 22 upper, which doesn't have or require a gas tube.

Monolithic doesn't have anything to do with the gas system. It actually refers to a 1 piece upper reciever/forend combo like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXbUF93dVs[/youtube]

I have "live free or die" on my arm lol

Makes me want to get one rolling. I've been looking for another.

Chris111 said:
I have "live free or die" on my arm lol

Makes me want to get one rolling. I've been looking for another.

This is the company that makes my particular receiver.

Umlaut Industries

There is always the option to have it custom engraved as well depending onthe costs etc. This particular one was sitting inside my local dealers case while I was there looking into something else. Our eyes met across the crowded showroom...

John A. said:
tnxdshooter said:

All my AR's are direct impingement, except for the 22 upper, which doesn't have or require a gas tube.

Monolithic doesn't have anything to do with the gas system. It actually refers to a 1 piece upper reciever/forend combo like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXbUF93dVs[/youtube]

Yup,

They seem more reliable to me than direct impingement.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Back