• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about Ghost Loading -- Why does it work?

@Jmm14534 Thank you for the thought and experimentation that went into that, and the terrific photos! I'm beginning to see how this can work reliably. That helped tremendously, and the fact that the Marine Corps manual for the M4 describes the procedure makes me confident in it.

Like you, though, I don't see much use for it. I don't do any competition, and like you, I also find it very fiddly to accomplish and I would not store a HD gun loaded this way. I can't imagine my home will be invaded by a gang, so the 5-shot capacity should get the job done, and I have the side saddle shotcard. If I really feel the need for more capacity I can buy a 2-round extension, but I'm not particularly motivated to do that.

Other than just trying it a couple times at the range for fun, I doubt I'd ever do it again. I don't see the practicality of it, especially since it would be a ridiculous thing to try in a tactical reload situation. The ONLY possible use I could see for it would be if we had "Summer of Love" riots again and they were moving in my direction. I could see taking the time to ghost load for that but two things make it less likely. First, until I wring out my 930 some more I'd likely use my tactically modified 500 pump instead. Or, even more likely, I'd be using my AR carbine at that point.

Thanks so much for your photos and explanation!

I’ve still been trying to figure this out myself, but I don’t have a 930. I have a 500 which evidently doesn’t do this.

I’m holding five shots and they are each carrying 3 balls and 9 buckshot. No choke. If it won’t suffice, that is one of those situations where I have a back up gun.

I can’t imagine taking 3 .30 caliber and 9 .22 caliber to the chest, at once, in my 12’ hallway.

5 rounds of that = 60 bullets That would take out three attackers plus my entire dining set and the bay window.

Debris and shot would blow across the yard, through the wooden fence and into my neighbors boat and his bathroom wall.

That wall is only 50 yards from my bedroom door.

I’ve still been trying to figure this out myself, but I don’t have a 930. I have a 500 which evidently doesn’t do this.

I’m holding five shots and they are each carrying 3 balls and 9 buckshot. No choke. If it won’t suffice, that is one of those situations where I have a back up gun.

I can’t imagine taking 3 .30 caliber and 9 .22 caliber to the chest, at once, in my 12’ hallway.

5 rounds of that = 60 bullets That would take out three attackers plus my entire dining set and the bay window.

Debris and shot would blow across the yard, through the wooden fence and into my neighbors boat and his bathroom wall.

That wall is only 50 yards from my bedroom door.
I use #4 buck for HD, get the job done and not as much worry about over penetration....

Maybe I should just reinforce the fence. ;)

Where I live, it’s extremely doughtful I will ever have to blow holes in my window.

They work pretty good at the shootin’ range though.

Back