• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (August 2013)

oh yeah, really a lot of options and a lot of right answers for reasons only a individual can answer for themselves.

But from personal experience:

Stag1 said:
A shotgun offers the best all around than any other firearm. You can hunt small and large game and provide decent defense up to and sometimes beyond 100 yards.

You would need to keep in stock at least 4 kinds of ammo do this....other than flying birds everything else can do the same thing a little different. I have capped a grouse with a 30-06 and ate the breast too

Stag1 said:
A 22LR would be good for small game, but that is pretty much it, sure you can carry a lot of ammo, but I would take my chances if I was in a battle with my shotgun or even my 9mm, against a 22LR all day any day.
shot placement, my best friend died from one 22 lr when I was 19, when I spent time with the Alaskan Eskimo crews, they kill most of their Polar Bears with .22 behind the ear......many cattle and live stock go out the same way. I have also heard of a lot of deer going down to .22 lr where I live but that is not legal so I have never seen it
Native Americans killed all game with sticks and stones

Stag1 said:
Sure a AR15, AK47 would beat the crap out of me, but they would be limited in food they can hunt.

How so ? 223 and 7.62 kill plenty well on all game other than big bears and Moose and they will if placed right.
Hunting regulation would no longer be in effect in SHTF so yeah, I have actually killed deer with a 223 and it works awesome, if it took 3 or 4 shots to kill an elk it would still put food in your belly
In the SHTF medical attention is probably few and far between so if a person is hunting something they NEED a 12ga slug for then that person is likely on the menu and not that wise pursuing such game.

Just a differnt perspective from someone who was born with a gun in hand lol

What kind of hunting do you usually do ?

Only thing for me to do, as no matter what I say I will be deemed wrong. So I am just cutting my loses.

By The way, I do deer hunting and use either a 243 or 270, rabbit with a shotgun and hog hunting with my AR-15, so I am not completely void of hunting experience, I am just from the school that you use the best device for the job. A hammer will drive in a screw, but its not the best device to use for that.

Stag....there is no wrong answer really. It's all personal preference.

Based on what I own....I would bring my Mosin Nagant (7.62x54r) and my Saiga 12. ...My wife says she would bring her Mossberg .410 and Marlin 60 .22....still each person only bringing 2 to the table.

ripjack13 said:
Stag....there is no wrong answer really. It's all personal preference.

As it should be, but with these kind of questions there seems to always be someone's experience brought into question. (AKA, the on going fight about bird shot vs buck shot for defense or heatshield vs none)

There is certain things you should never do:
1) don't tug on superman's cape
2) don't spit into the wind
And 3) don't question a man's will to survive or his choices in doing it. In the end the only one responsible for you, is you.

I will in the future just not answer any of the types of questions. I don't want to make this anymore off topic then it is so I will leave now.

I think oli was just trying to keep a spirited conversation goin. Everyone has different opinions and vastly different experiences. No one here means any one disrespect. But in the same line I don't want the PC type stroking of egos either. I'm not here to be a yes man and no one else should be either.

:)

Let's move along now.....

All things considered I'd have to go with an AR and my Glock 19.

Can't say much about the calibers for each that hasn't already been said. There's no handgun I've ever shot better than my G19. As far as the AR goes, it's an excellent defensive weapon that offers a great balance of capacity, firepower, and portability. As far as hunting goes, I'll be takin game with my bow...

What!? You said only two guns... ;)

Nice....I did say that. Cheers to you for thinking outside the box...

Ok....stroking on this one is deserved. :lol:

Since I only have two pistols and a shotgun, I don't have a problem of choosing what to leave behind. I'll take my 40sw and my shotgun. I'll leave the 9mm behind. :)

So, just to throw this out there - what about one of those interchangeable barrel single shot kits? Yes, not as fast firing, but think about just from a scavenging ammo standpoint - a kit with a .22lr, .223, .410 and 12 ga would be pretty dang handy, if nothing else than putting food on the table. Using one of those and ______ would be a pretty effective combination, would allow for a lot of capability without a lot of weight. Since we are limiting ourselves to a number of firearms...there is only one serial numbered part... ;)

^^^ I think that would be good idea to work with...as long as you own one, that also is part of the question. ;)

This has been a real good QOM so far. It has me thinking a lot more than the July QOM. Yesterday I actually did some research on the lethality of .22LR and while driving to pick up my boy, Stag1 had me thinking about if I'd really rather fight a guy with a shotgun with my Ruger 10/22 while keeping in mind the 2 gun choice.

Keep the thoughts coming guys!

ripjack13, they are pretty easy to find in Kansas - $250 will get you a combo set of a bunch of different barrels in a pretty lightweight package...only thing is that a lightweight single will kick like a mule, as my daughter will attest to with a 20ga. Handy little things though...

This question has made me thing a lot about "what if you couldn't take whatever you wanted"? Same idea...if you could only take one backpack, what would you leave behind? How would you try to secure it? Maybe a future QOM....

carbinemike said:
This has been a real good QOM so far. It has me thinking a lot more than the July QOM. Yesterday I actually did some research on the lethality of .22LR and while driving to pick up my boy, Stag1 had me thinking about if I'd really rather fight a guy with a shotgun with my Ruger 10/22 while keeping in mind the 2 gun choice.

Keep the thoughts coming guys!

Mike and all let me expand a little on my thought process.

Scenario: Stock market has collapsed, 80-90% of wealth is lost. Hyper inflation starts to set in. Big cities are becoming chaos with looting and murder at all time highs. Gas, is $50.00 a gallon if you can find it. Loaf of bread is going for $25.00, all food has increased 250 to 500%. You decide that its time to head for the country before you become a statistic of the great Obumer depression. Its only you, you sent your wife and kids off to the country last week.

Option 1)

You can only grab 2 firearms and 2 cans of ammo. You grab a AR-15 and 22LR. On your way to where your wife and kids are. Thanks to good ole Murphy, you happen to run out of gas not far from a big city, but still on the outskirts.

Your still a good 2 days away by foot, so you set out to find some type of shelter were you can hide out till you figure out how you are going to get pass that big city and continue on your trip. You find a half way decent cabin, that doesn't appear to have been used for a quite sometime. After scouting the area, it appears that it isnt visited frequently. You hunker in.

A few days has gone by and now the people in the cities are running out of things to pilferage in the city and they start out towards the country, because they believe there will be all kinds of food, milk, eggs, etc,

You are out hunting small game with your 22LR, you shoot at a rabbit around 50 yards away. He goes straight down, Alright nice shot!, as you start to retrieve tonights dinner, you are found out by a gang of 5 looking for easy pickings. You think to yourself, I wish I had my AR-15 with me, but you only have your 22LR, you take cover as they start shooting at you. You return fire and even hit a couple, but due to they weak ballistics of a 22LR it only slows them down, but they still keep coming. Would you win and survive with just the 22LR, not very likely but it would be possible

Survival Outcome: :) 1/2 out of 5

Option 2)

Same thing, but instead of a 22LR you have a shotgun. At least if using 8 or 9 00 buck you are sending out 8 or 9 projectiles close to the size of a 9mm round. Would you win and survive with just the shotgun? Can't say one way or the other. But in my personal opinion I would say your chances would improve.

Survival Outcome: :) :) :) out of 5

Option 3)

You have a AR-15 instead of a 22LR or a shotgun. You chances improve even more, but since you carry normal 55 gr and 62 gr rounds, your small game will suffer quite a bit of damage. Would you win and survive with just the AR-15, again couldn't say one way or the other, but you would have much better chance, if starvation doesn't get you after.

Survival Outcome: :) :) :) :) out of 5

Option 4)

Abrams tank and RPG. Great chance of winning the fight, but talk about destroying small game :twisted:

Survival Outcome: :) :) :) :) :) out of 5

Now all of this is strictly my own opinion and any number of factors can dramatically change the outcome, even with a 22 LR, it could be enough to persuade the gang to leave and look for Grandpa and Grandma Jones to rob. I just wanted to explain how I had thought about the scenario and why I have answered like I have.

Unfortunately, nobody can answer the question 100% factual. As anything could change the out come. You meet other like minded people and they have different weapons then you do. You could possibly come upon a farm house that had some gasoline and you could be off on your way again shortly and numerous other ones.

Anyway, that is my thought process when ever these questions are asked. :D Also please excuse any spelling, grammar and/or coherent sentences, as I wrote this late a night :shock:

Edited to fix my backwards rating systems and a few errors

Spelling errors aside ;) that's a damn fine answer there stag! I think you guys have convinced me of the AR over the shotgun.... I wasn't even thinking about the weight of ammo when carrying shells!

Great post Stag.....

I do not own an AR since I had not saved up enough money by the time my awesome Governor decided we couldn't have em. So.... :cry:

I would have to say my AR and my XDm 9mm. AR is very versatile and head shots on small game will minimize damage. The XDm is 19 + 1 and good for close in self defense. I would also hope to have a friend that has an AC130 for stubborn targets.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Back