• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tell Us About Your SCREEN NAME and AVATAR...

We bought our off-grid property in 2009. My avatar isn't an avatar, just a picture of the road up our canyon. I chose it not for others, but for myself -- it makes me happy just to see it.

Glad to have you join our community.

We appreciate the off-the-grid lifestyle around here too and don't worry, we can assure you the things you post here won't be shared anywhere but the internet...

My screen name is one that I have had on another shooting forum for some years. It was my first forum and when asked for user name and password I was completely taken abacko_O by what seemed very strange questions but putting aside my confusion, I looked around the room (for inspiration perhaps) and my eyes settled on a bottle of Sullivan's Cove Single Malt Whiskey:D "That would do", I thought and it has done me ever since.

Nice!

If that was me I'd have been stuck for weeks trying to decide between Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, or Bunnahabhain. I may have a slight weakness for the noble spirits myself...

Thank you Sir.

Born of an Irish family here in the US and my Pop always stressed a classical education...

Van Doren is my last name, which throws people since it's two words. They think it's my first AND last name, a la Van Wilder, which is a very understandable mistake.
Worf's facepalm demonstrates how I feel on a daily basis when reading a lot of things on the internet. :D

WNC because I'm from western North Carolina, and motard because I ride motards, aka supermotos. Most fun bike I've owned in 34 years, it's like owning your own personal amusement park.

fx7KjEP.jpg

0hfJEcx.jpg

WNC because I'm from western North Carolina, and motard because I ride motards, aka supermotos. Most fun bike I've owned in 34 years, it's like owning your own personal amusement park.

fx7KjEP.jpg

0hfJEcx.jpg
Western NC has some of the best riding roads in the country. Lucky you, and welcome.

Thanks Sarge! We also have some incredible mountain and road bicycling as well as hiking, and pretty much anything outdoor related. I'm very fortunate to have been able to come back home to the mountains for my career.

Thanks Sarge! We also have some incredible mountain and road bicycling as well as hiking, and pretty much anything outdoor related. I'm very fortunate to have been able to come back home to the mountains for my career.
You are fortunate. I am a biker too. I have 3 BMW motorcycles. Some of my fondest motorcycle memories are riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy, and the roads around Boone on regular trips from my past residence north of Atlanta.

Too much hot rodding cost me the front bevel drive bearing on my Nomad. The clutch is going too.

I had to build a front stand so I could maneuver the engine in the frame & get the clutch out.

bikestand.jpg

I used this junk as a bearing press. Bolt, coupling nut, big socket, washers & 10mm skate bearings.
press1.jpg

My eldest granddaughter gets her first ride....
mc001.jpg

That Nomad is a freakin big bike. heavy as hell too. I'm 210 lbs in that pic & it makes me look like a kid.

They'll get MSF courses for their birthdays. I don't want them learning the way I did. By trial and error.

I've gotten off every way you can get off including landing upside down and backwards on a hill climb with a 600lb bike on top of me.

Amazingly I never broke anything or lost much skin. Probably because I learned to ride in the Great Frozen North and was accustomed to lots of gear & a real helmet. Here people ride in a bikini and thongs. :eek:

Back