• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
For what it's worth I've never been bit by my RIA...

Thank you for the input! Your word is worth a lot to this youngster :D I saw the Wilson Combat drop-in BT-Safety but they said it needs fitting with the trigger mechanism or such... That would require a gunsmith haha...

A commander size huh? How does that puppy handle?

It handles like a dream and I've been carrying it a lot lately.

I learned to shoot on my Pop's Colt Combat Commander pictured above. The balance on a commander length is excellent and for me they point as naturally as my finger...

Well that is good! :) I am weary of buying a .45 that is under 5 inches lol... if I was going to get a compact or Sub it would probably be a 9mm... I don't like Snappy pistols with my little girly hands :( lol That is assuming that the commander is snappy! (I know you are going to tell me it isn't just because I am assuming it is :p )

Haha honestly yes,

A 9mm or .40S&W compact or sub-compact will have more snap, especially in a polymer frame. With the commander sized 1911 in .45acp you've got a heavier pistol shoting a heavier, slower bullet through a larger bore. You're dealing with less pressure and more weight to mitigate the recoil...

Oh... informative! I like it :) lol I never really looked at it like that... I figured the .45acp is a great big bore bullet, which = a lot of power coming from a smaller framed pistol which = snappy! I am wrong pretty often with pistol things though :lol: Always willing to learn something new!!

I got to stop by Grice's Gun Shop today and checked out some Glocks and some 1911's... Boy oh Boy do I love the SA Mil-spec <3 haha There were some Kimbers and just no... My heart breaks! They are fresh outta RIA 45s and one Taurus PT1911 that was pretty well molested.. Finish was all marred and scratched up.. Wouldn't pay full price for it regardless if it has never been fired.

My father was going to trade his Taurus Millennium Pro 24/7 for a Glock .357 SIG but they only offered him $150 for trade in.. his solution to a shitty deal?? He is going to give me the 24/7 for my B-day in march and let me decide what gets done with it and he going to buy the Glock out right haha I LOVE IT! That brings some Glocks and the mid-level 1911s into my price range if I get hired back to the Railroad!

I am skeptical but my father did say that if I were to accept the $150 as a trade in on a gun I want that he is 100% cool with that decision and would probably be happier. So long I am pleased with whatever I do! :)

SA Mil-spec is in my eye sight ;) but I am going to take advantage of the situation for sure and try my hand at CCW with the 3.1" barrel and see what it is like so I know what carrying a larger gun may be like. I get the holster and ammunition left over too! :D lol

That all is a discussion for another thread and another time though. I don't want to take away from the purpose of this thread.... Back to the 1911 topic.....

Grice's had a REALLY nice SA Range Officer, I like the adjustable sight on the rear. I did happen to notice too that they didn't have ANY 1911 models with a barrel less then 5 inches. Kind of weird, people are buying up A LOT of sub-compact and compact models..

I posted this in the S&W thread but since it is some what a 1911 here it is
iDhr22SyT5kXw.jpg

I don't what to call them... not grooves.. maybe dragon scales?? lol

They look awesome and I bet they are very slip resistant!

The Millenium Pro 24/7 is a good pistol and is worth keeping, You'd be wise to save another $150 and then have two pistols.

Thanks guys they are very grippy..is that even a word? I have an appointment at the range tomorrow, Iam going to put around 500 rounds in her to break it in. I can't wait to ring some steel!!

nitesite said:
The Millenium Pro 24/7 is a good pistol and is worth keeping, You'd be wise to save another $150 and then have two pistols.

Well, once I see what is going on with work and what not, I may keep the 24/7 for CCW and still get the 1911 for shooting and HD. I know my father has recently sent it in for repairs. It had a mis-fire and reverted to DOA and acted like a revolver.. you had to action the slide manually for each round. I guess that is a fail-safe that the Manufacturer put in place for some reason or another, at least that is what he was told by the LGS.

I have to see how well I can shoot it and what it is like to carry first before I make any decisions on trading it. I promised my father I would give it a fair chance! If I do keep it and get another firearm, I will still stick with the RIA GI 1911 and not worry about the FS Tactical.

KentuckyWindage, I don't think it is a word but it works for me! haha... Are they sharp or just have a nice edge?

Thanks KW!

I'm always on the lookout for the next 1911. I'm looking to add a Les Baer here in the not too distant future...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks KW!

I'm always on the lookout for the next 1911. I'm looking to add a Les Baer here in the not too distant future...

Baers are super nice! They are in a league of there own. I would love to have one also, but my gun fund is low right now after the S&W..

Back