• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

It's a sexy beast.

View attachment 14231

I've never changed parts any more difficult than grips and this mainspring housing took like 3 minutes.

Also drifted both the front and rear sights with the aluminum punch @Water Monkey sent. The square flat sides helped quite a bit. Even so, it took persuasion in the 32 oz flavor of a ball peen. I'm definitely centered up on target better. I only ran one magazine through it today but all shots are in the 9 ring at worst and still slightly left but I'm not positive that isn't me.

View attachment 14232

She's a beauty brother! Nicely done...

See....Who says men don't talk about their feelings? ;)

When a beauty like this crosses a man's path, it takes some effort to retain one's composure.

. . . There is no anticipation. There is no bang.... there is only the trigger press and sight picture/alignment.

I was just racking them off as fast as possible. As soon as I had the muzzle back on target, bang!

Normally our range won't allow rapid fire shooting, but I often go at odd times when there's no one else out there.

But it's very typical for me to put the first two or three right in the heart without a lot of conscious sight aiming. Also, I'm shooting one handed, bladed stance. The same way I would shoot if I was in a hurry because someone was shooting at me.

After that I seem to lose control, but I figure if I can put the first two in the heart, with any of my pistols, the job is done.

It's totally different than when I'm shooting a rifle, because then then I go into sniper mode where, patience and aim is everything.

27358099510_7bc38ca1db_z.jpg

50 rounds, 1911 45acp, 7-10 yards

It's not easy and takes a lot of dry fire practice. Then forcing yourself not to anticipate recoil is also another challenge.

28522992553_7d6e14168d_z.jpg

10 rounds 7 yards

I have been SOOOOOOO close to buying a Valor several times. Whatta gun. Rossignol and WM are posting up some pics of really admirable guns.

I sure appreciate seeing them guys!

I was just racking them off as fast as possible. As soon as I had the muzzle back on target, bang!

Normally our range won't allow rapid fire shooting, but I often go at odd times when there's no one else out there.

But it's very typical for me to put the first two or three right in the heart without a lot of conscious sight aiming. Also, I'm shooting one handed, bladed stance. The same way I would shoot if I was in a hurry because someone was shooting at me.

After that I seem to lose control, but I figure if I can put the first two in the heart, with any of my pistols, the job is done.

It's totally different than when I'm shooting a rifle, because then then I go into sniper mode where, patience and aim is everything.

I'm actually really glad to see stories so similar to my own. I look back at my targets and my progression and there are plenty I don't like sharing but the reality is that in showing each other our targets we can see how much we have in common and the common mistakes we make. Because I do the same things you're doing. I can put the first couple rounds really close to the bull, a little off but very close. I start feeling confident and I speed up and I put rounds all over the place. WaterMonkey has given me the same advice as he has posted here and it's been really helpful. For me, the fix is slowing down and being deliberate on each shot and conscious of the advice I've been given. Get the fundamentals down first and then add some speed.

I used to shoot with friends and none of it was for accuracy and in some cases it was simply to dump a magazine as fast as possible and kinda be on target. I don't keep the volume of ammo I used to and now gratification comes from being able to be precise.

I really appreciate you sharing this stuff.

I may buy a real target pistol, and load for it, and practice slow fire pistol. My eyes don't really deal with rapid-fire anyway. They don't refocus fast enough. I have the worst eyesight of anybody you know under 90 who's not blind.

The Target that I just posted was kind of an extreme example of what I was talking about. I'm not usually quite that random. But with the three inch barrel nine millimeter I'm not often much more accurate either

I understand how it's supposed to work, but getting the gun to oscillate in my hand just right...that's a tricky deal. It's like playing music, and every instrument is different... feels different, plays different, has different harmonics. I have 5 Pistols to master and I'm nowhere close on any of them. :oops:

The thing is, I love shooting rifles so much that I don't get nearly enough pistol practice, and now I've taken up the shotgun to so where is this going?

To China on a very slow boat buddy. ;)

I really should take some pro lessons, and legally I must if I'm going to CC.

I got my first pistol in 1967 so it's a difficult realization.

When I got my pistol I took 32 hours of professional training. And I get some form of training each year.

I agree with WM. I'm sure most of my issues, if not all, with shooting my 1911's is grip orientated. I do tend to push on the trigger rather than pull. I really should shoot them more often and get some real hands on training. Especially out of a holster. I don't seem to have any issues with revolvers, but I can get a better purchase on the trigger with my finger.

BTW, Rossi, what holster are you using with the Kimber UC? I'm looking for a leather holster like that, possibly with the Ulti Clip. How is that setup working for you? Would like to find something I can use both full size and compact 1911.

IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG Well I've now joined the ranks of a 1911 owner. I don't know what it is about them but always wanted one. I think goes back to when I was a kid my uncle had his father's old service pistol that was a 1911 I think. I know it kicked like a mule for a 13 yo.
Here is my Springfield 1911 which also has the trijicon sights. Haven't been to the range yet but will post pics once I do.
Also in the pic is a S&W .38 special able to take +P as well. This will be my back up piece.
Also coming my way is a sig p320 in .45 that will hopefully be in my possession tomorrow.

View attachment 14565 View attachment 14566 Well I've now joined the ranks of a 1911 owner. I don't know what it is about them but always wanted one. I think goes back to when I was a kid my uncle had his father's old service pistol that was a 1911 I think. I know it kicked like a mule for a 13 yo.
Here is my Springfield 1911 which also has the trijicon sights. Haven't been to the range yet but will post pics once I do.
Also in the pic is a S&W .38 special able to take +P as well. This will be my back up piece.
Also coming my way is a sig p320 in .45 that will hopefully be in my possession tomorrow.

Sexy guns. Now run them like rented mules!!!

Back