• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My M&P is finished!!

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Fronty Owner said:
The rifle looks better than the gun safe in the background...
or is that a highschool locker???

maybe paint in the roll marks in pink. something to break up the solid black.

Ok, just reread your comment....I see what you are saying now, not that its too much pink, but to break up the solid black with a few accents. I like that idea, thanks for the suggestion. :)
yeah, the pink isn't bad, you get hits of black thru the furniture, just the upper and lower look solid.
100_1931.jpg

is what I have done on my AR. its solid black otherwise.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Wow, that's awesome. Did you do that yourself? Do I have to use ceracoat like the rest of the pink?
Actually, mine is done with crayons.
Others have done it with thinned model paint.

There are lots of things you can use. Most common method is to apply your chosen media liberally over the stamp or roll mark then wipe it off before it dries leaving the color in the stamp....kinda like putting grout on tiles.Problem with some things is that it never dries and wears off with gun oil and solvents

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Crayons?! Like melted crayons and then a fine brush dipped in it??
kinda... actually, rub the crayon over the roll marks and kinda fill them in. apply a bit of heat from a hair dryer or heat gun until the wax melts and it will flow into the grooves nicely. a cloth will clean up the excess, just dont scrub the grooves too much or you will have to repeat the process.

oli700 said:
There are lots of things you can use. Most common method is to apply your chosen media liberally over the stamp or roll mark then wipe it off before it dries leaving the color in the stamp....kinda like putting grout on tiles.Problem with some things is that it never dries and wears off with gun oil and solvents
I haven't had a problem with crayons and gun oil, solvents, or heat. it will get soft on the barrel,

here is a guide on arfcom
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 8&t=416856

That’s cool, I have heard of different things but not crayons yet, I’ve only done it with paint sticks

I color filled all three of my AR lowers and my XD40sc with crayons. Here's a pic of the latest job I did last week...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I color filled all three of my AR lowers and my XD40sc with crayons. Here's a pic of the latest job I did last week...

its kinda addicting... really makes the detail of the firearm pop..

sorry to hijack...

I love that too! And no hijacking going on, I like seeing all the artistic work! I am still not sure how the crayons lasts on it. I live in humid Texas so I'm not sure I could get away with it. Thoughts?

^ I'm in humid Nashville right off the Cumberland river. Put more than 7500 rounds through my Bushmaster and the color still looks as good as new. Approaching 2k rounds through the new Spike's carbine as well with no effect on the color. Cleaning doesn't mess with it unless you really get into the dams with a copper brush. The lower doesn't heat up like the rest of the rifle so heat is not really a factor :?: . Once the wax is in there and cools, it's in there to stay. On the upside, if it ever does need redoing it only takes five minutes.

Mine wouldn't be on the lower though, but you still think it would be alright? What's the process as far as melting the crayons and what type of cloth do you use to apply/ and wipe off excess? Thanks for all the help.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Mine wouldn't be on the lower though, but you still think it would be alright? What's the process as far as melting the crayons and what type of cloth do you use to apply/ and wipe off excess? Thanks for all the help.

I rub the crayon into the dams and then use a butane lighter to heat up the metal from the inside until the wax melts. The key is to heat the metal, not just the wax. If the surface is too cool, the wax will harden too soon and not fill in the dams. I clean off any excess wax with an old t-shirt or any kind of cloth that won't leave any fuzz behind. Any residue can be cleaned off with CLP or any similar cleaner.

One thing though, if I'm not mistaken, is that your M&P's upper and lower are made from polymer instead of alloy metal. If that's the case, painting or nail polish might be a better route for you to take. I'm not sure that a hair dryer will get the plastic hot enough to properly melt the wax.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

I rub the crayon into the dams and then use a butane lighter to heat up the metal from the inside until the wax melts. The key is to heat the metal, not just the wax. If the surface is too cool, the wax will harden too soon and not fill in the dams. I clean off any excess wax with an old t-shirt or any kind of cloth that won't leave any fuzz behind. Any residue can be cleaned off with CLP or any similar cleaner.

One thing though, if I'm not mistaken, is that your M&P's upper and lower are made from polymer instead of alloy metal. If that's the case, painting or nail polish might be a better route for you to take. I'm not sure that a hair dryer will get the plastic hot enough to properly melt the wax.

Damn, you're good. It is not metal like my husbands AR. That was my other concern but you pretty much covered that. Thanks for the info!

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
I love that too! And no hijacking going on, I like seeing all the artistic work! I am still not sure how the crayons lasts on it. I live in humid Texas so I'm not sure I could get away with it. Thoughts?
I got a little smear on my 7mm Rem Mag barrel one summer after a 5 shot string in the sun in Oklahoma.
Ive never had the wax move on my shotgun or AR.
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

Damn, you're good. It is not metal like my husbands AR. That was my other concern but you pretty much covered that. Thanks for the info!
A hair dryer will get warm enough, but just barely. a heat gun works better, you can pick one up fairly cheap at harbor freight...

Re: AR Photo Thread

Here's an updated pic of the SCAR with the new Ergo grip and rail covers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back