What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AR Photo Thread

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Well here she is, build #2 is now complete...

Since this build is for my Pop I went with a more classic A2 configuration on the upper. I still need to get his name engraved on the carry handle, but other than that it's good to go. It might be a while before I have a chance to fly out and present it to him, but I'm really lookin forward to seeing the look on his face.

Here's a pic of it with mine...

Great job, Lazy.

Your Dad should be proud of the job you did on that, and with the gift itself, especially since you've personalized it by assembling it for him. ;)

I like the A2 look. I see it has a removable handle, too, so he can run with or without it in the way.

Spikes is definitely putting out a nice product these days, and you've done a great job with those fine examples.;)

What's next? Mid-length? Bull barrel? 6.8SPC? Or maybe a collection of different caliber uppers? Don't see a 'can' on them yet. ;)

You know, once you start, its hard to stop. The 'evil' black rifle disease will take over. Trust me, I started with one safe. Now have a walk-in, and 3 others :oops:

I tried the 12-step program, even the patch...to no avail :lol:

mister_e said:
Great job, Lazy.

Your Dad should be proud of the job you did on that, and with the gift itself, especially since you've personalized it by assembling it for him. ;)

Thank you Sir,

I certainly hope so. He's got some really cool stuff in his collection, but no AR. I owe the man a lot so building this for him is the very least I could do to show my appreciation.

mister_e said:
What's next? Mid-length? Bull barrel? 6.8SPC? Or maybe a collection of different caliber uppers? Don't see a 'can' on them yet. ;)

It's funny you ask, I just finished the color fill on the lower for my current 5.56 mid-length project. It'll be all Spikes as well. I really like their attention to detail and you can tell by the way their products finish that they put a lot of effort into getting it right every time. Great customer service too.

You're absolutely correct, this stuff is highly addictive. I've already started planning my next build-out. It'll be a 20" AR-10 along the lines of the SR-25 or Super SASS. I don't foresee a 6.8 in the near future, but I do see adding a .50 Beowulf upper to the collection. There's just something about that caliber that intrigues me. It'd be loads of fun putting really big holes in stuff at my buddy's farm if nothing else.

I'm up in the air as far as suppressors go. I'd go for a 7.62 over a 5.56 first for my current Remy 700 AAC-SD and the future build, but I haven't started reloading yet and sub-sonic 7.62 isn't exactly readily available. The nearly eight months I had to wait for my .22 can kinda wore out my patience and every time I get ready to shell out the cash for a can and the tax stamp I find another pistol I want instead.

In the meantime, I've got plans to SBR my Ps90. I'm quickly running out of room in floor safe number three and it would be incredible to have a walk-in, but that'll have to wait for now.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You're absolutely correct, this stuff is highly addictive. I've already started planning my next build-out. It'll be a 20" AR-10 along the lines of the SR-25 or Super SASS. I don't foresee a 6.8 in the near future, but I do see adding a .50 Beowulf upper to the collection. There's just something about that caliber that intrigues me. It'd be loads of fun putting really big holes in stuff at my buddy's farm if nothing else.

I can remember when my wife bought me the Bushmaster as an X'mas gift. I was totally shocked when I opened it. As I had planned on adding an AR or two to the collection before then, this opened the door. It wasn't long after that I received stripped lowers for birthdays, parts kits or handguards for Father's Day, even complete uppers for anniversaries. I'm not complaining. Heck I got a Ruger 10-22 on Valentine's one year :lol: She has also helped me assemble lowers, and like any woman...picks out 'matching' furniture for some of my builds :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It's funny you ask, I just finished the color fill on the lower for my current 5.56 mid-length project. It'll be all Spikes as well. I really like their attention to detail and you can tell by the way their products finish that they put a lot of effort into getting it right every time. Great customer service too.

...In the meantime, I've got plans to SBR my Ps90. I'm quickly running out of room in floor safe number three and it would be incredible to have a walk-in, but that'll have to wait for now.

I did a build last year that was a modified clone of the SR-25. I've had a few offers for it from friends who served, some who still do. It turned out to be quite the tack-driver (pardon the cliche :roll: ) But with hand loads that one of my buddies came up with, it extremely capable, and with over the counter match ammo it will get just about any job done ;) I just wish the manufacturers would get their acts together and lower the cost on AR10 parts :shock: The other big bores in the safes are .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, .260 Rem, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a few in .308. I also have uppers and complete models in .223/5.56, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 Russian, 9mm, and .22LR. The shortest in the bunch is one with a 14.5" barrel, but is legal with the flash suppressor on it ;) A few do have cans, or at least are can capable - planning for the future :lol:
I thought about adding the Beowulf, but with the loads I've been getting for my .458 SOCOM, there really isn't a need. And they make about the same size hole. But it all started that one x'mas....or at least that's my story - to put the blame on her :lol:

As for the safes, the walk in was an after thought. I had room off the family room, and in doing a remod, got carried away. At first my thoughts were to make it into kind of a 'safe room'. But it is down stairs - away from the bedrooms. So that was out of the question - no sense it bringing the family down stairs - possibly into harm's way. So it became a kind of 'man-cave', very secure, very discrete, very safe. The other safes are located conveniently - for me and mine ;)

Very nice!

Bless your wife and family for supporting your habit, err I mean hobby. I never thought wy wife had it in her, but she surprised (SHOCKED) me with the Springer Mil-Spec for our anniversary this year. I'm really hoping this starts a trend!

Looks like you've got quite the assortment. Just when I think I'm done for a while, another opportunity presents itself and I manage to reasonably justify the "need" for another gun. You know the classic little angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other, both whispering in your ear? Well both of mine love guns!!! :lol:

I don't have pics of all of my guns over the years, but here are some of my favorites

My 5.56 M4 varmint gun

Stainless Steel Olympic Arms match barrel
Olympic Arms bolt carrier group
DSA upper receiver
Model 1 rifle length freefloat forend
6 pos M4 buttstock
Olympic Arms lower
Fall Oak custom camo dip
UTG 1 piece scope mount
Barska 1.5-6x42 Prohunter scope

VarmintAR002.jpg

coyote1-1.jpg

My 6.8 Medium Game deer rifle

DPMS 1:10 twist 6.8 SPCII barrel 1/2-28 thread
Phantom Flash hider reamed out to 11mm
DPMS bolt
Olympic Arms carrier
DSA upper and DPMS upper parts
Can't remember the brand rifle length railed floater
Chopped low profile gas block
Surplus Ammo and Arms lower
DPMS lower parts kit
Ace skeleton stock with brown foam cover
UTG 1 piece scope mount
3-9x42 Barska Ridgeline scope
Rock Ridge bipod
Fall Oak custom camo dip

sixeight009.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeL-91XIopk[/youtube]

My first SBR AR

Spikes stripped lower
RRA LPK
Magpul M93 Detachment 1 stock
Bushnell AA model Holosight/Eotech 503
8.5" 5.56 barrel
low profile gas block
Carbine length railed freefloat
CAA G27 grip
Mako front grip/light mount
some custom airbrush in Timber Crawler pattern

MakoTgrip001.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dd6Q_XUHms[/youtube]

Dedicated Integrally suppressed short 22LR upper

The upper resides on my registered SBR lower shown above

The suppressed upper was designed and built by me

5.25" barrel was shortened, recrowned, rethreaded and ported.

The suppressor can be taken apart and cleaned using a regular AR multitool

widowmaker015.jpg

DSCN4920.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrh82xbGp_k[/youtube]

My old Olympic K3BM4 LT with my first F1 suppressor on it

widowmaker013.jpg

My 24" precision AR with Bushnell Laser Rangefinding scope

LR3006-3-1.jpg

AR15 This!

So, like most large purchases I've been doing a lot of research on the AR platform as I think that's what I'm going to pick up next. Everyone and their brother seems to have an AR15 these days though. Seriously, it's like an epidemic. But wait, what about the AR10?

So, before I go to much further I'm gonna address a few things that I know are going to get said. Yes, ammo is more expensive. Yes, good parts are harder to come by. Yes, capacity is lower. All good points, especially since this is going to be a SHTF/Zombi Apocalypse gun, but what the AR10 lacks in cheap availability it more than makes up in pure stopping power.

So that's kind of where I'm at right now. I know, kind of a random collection of thoughts, but really what I'm trying to say is what do you guys think? An AR15 with a 16" barrel just doesn't make sense with such a large round, and I always have the Mossy and Glock for those CBQ situations. I'll eventually own both more than likely anyways, just looking for some informed thoughts from you more experienced AR guys.

Re: AR15 This!

the ar 10 is a very fun weapon to shoot and it will be my next build when my job situation clears up. that being said the

when i build one it will be more of a long range weapon long heavy barrel, high power optic, sniper stock ect

I shoot 3 gun from time to time and the AR15 is much better suited to that

.223 cheaper to shoot yes cheap to shoot no
.308 in an ar platform I would need to start reloading

ar 15s are around 7- 8 lbs depending on how they are dressed out AR 10s get to 8.5 to begin and up to 10lbs

i will never give up my ar15 and I will have a Ar10 someday

just a few randonm thoughts

I think I'm really just trying to make my mind up on what to get first. The AR15 will be in the 5.56x45 flavor, no question there. I'm just trying to see why everyone is so hung up on the 15 vs 10.

A few more thoughts:

1. What are some of the key characteristics of a SHTF/Zombie Apocalypse weapon?
A. Stopping power
B. Availability & cost of ammo
C. Availability & cost of spare parts

2. Where does the AR-10 excel in those three categories over the AR-15 (assuming the AR-10 is chambered in 7.62/.308 and the AR-15 is chambered in 5.56/.223)?

The only advantage that the AR-10 might have, in my opinion, is stopping power. Ammo will be more expensive and harder to find. Magazines will be more expensive and harder to find. Parts will be more expensive and harder to find.

IIRC, Parts for an AR 10 are more proprietary as well, There are a few items that are interchangeable, I would like an AR 10 some day as well.
Best of luck on your decision.

Well, here's my $.02 ...

I've already got the 5.56 arena covered, so my next venture will be an AR-10. I'm still trying to decide if I want to build or buy, but my preference is a 20" barrel. I've fallen in love with the Knight's Armament sr-25. Armalite has their Super SASS and DPMS has their LRT-SASS or REPR. If I do decide to build my specs will be along the lines of the rifles mentioned above.

Dang, I havent been in this thread in awhile either, I've got some reading up to do!

Lots of good stuff to look at too!!!

John A: nice collection of AR's! I need to add one to my collection soon!

I want one too! But alas... So many things I want and not enough $$$ to go around. Man, I easily have about $5ooo spent in my head!

Sad part about it, even my "fantasy" gun list is short right now cuz my brokeness is saturating my imagination too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.