• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Yeah that was a No-go... I was denied due to a change of address and my License hasn't been updated.. I further elaborated in "Clean your Mossberg every 200 rounds..." Don't want to duplicate the same post 15 times lol

CZ 527 Varmint 204 Kevlar 24" heavy barrel

I was looking for the VMP 24" barrel but I can't seem to locate one. I went to visit my LGS and saw this CZ527 on display. The lighting inside the LGS is dim due to wall to wall display of guns so I didn't notice the bluing of the gun. It looks black to me at the LGS. Got it home and started cleaning it and as I was wiping the outside of the barrel I keep getting rust color on the cleaning pads. I'm not sure why I can't see any rust on it and seemed black to me. But yet the pads keeps giving me that rust color as I wiped the barrel. I keep wiping the barrel until I can see only just a trace of rust color on the cleaning pad. It's kind of weird.. anyway attached is the picture along with my ATR 100. I took the black scope off the ATR and mounted it on the CZ-527. Then got a Nikon Camo scope and mounted it on the ATR. Camo looks good on my ATR...

CZandATR.jpg

Re: CZ 527 Varmint 204 Kevlar 24" heavy barrel

Good lookin guns, the scope matches great!

Congrats rambilt!

The reddish-brown color very well could have been from grease/preservative that had been applied to the outside of the barrel...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Congrats rambilt!

The reddish-brown color very well could have been from grease/preservative that had been applied to the outside of the barrel...

That's what I was hoping LES... But I have my doubts... So I'll go back to the LGS and ask them what it was. The rusty color is even more pronounce when shined with a flashlight.... I haven't fired it yet but I'm anxious to. As always thank you....

rambilt said:
oli700 said:
very nice.....223?

It's a 204 Ruger...

oh man, thats cool !...., you reloading for it ?

That crap from the factory will come off eventually.....shouldn’t be rust, my guess is its probably a rust inhibitor or something from the bluing process. My CZ pistol was straight up gross from the factory, even the sear mechanisms in the darkest recesses of the gun. You might need to get it with a good solvent first, let us know what you come up with

Cosmoline preservative/rust inhibotor from the factory. Don't fret. It's brown.

BTW, CZ rifles are some fantastic guns! I know you will enjoy yours.

My Dad has a CZ rifle in .17 Mach2. That thing will hit a squirrrel in the eye everytime he shoots.

nitesite, I'm not familiar with cosmoline preservatives but I'll check on it. Thanks!

I went back to my LGS I bought the gun from, talked to one of the sales guy about the red stain and he said its caused by hot Bluing. The other 527 varmint rifle on display has the same stain.

I called CZ today and spoke to a guy name Neil supposedly a gunsmith. i explained to him about the rust stain I get when I wiped the surface of the barrel. He just said to ship the rifle to him and he'll look at it...

I think I'll go out and shoot this rifle first..

Re: CZ 527 Varmint 204 Kevlar 24

rambilt said:
the red stain and he said its caused by hot Bluing.

Yes, called that one :lol: I have seen this on the barrels I have blued when I was in the barrel making business.......have fun with your sweet rifle

Re: CZ 527 Varmint 204 Kevlar 24

oli700 said:
rambilt said:
the red stain and he said its caused by hot Bluing.

Yes, called that one :lol: I have seen this on the barrels I have blued when I was in the barrel making business.......have fun with your sweet rifle

You surely did... I bought two tubes of Blue wonder gun cleaner for good measure... :D

I was looking at my HD/PD battery and realized I was lacking in the precision rifle area. So I started shopping for one and ultimately purchased a Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD in .308. I am still putting it together and am waiting on one more piece, which has been shipped.
Needless to say, the rifle is awesome so far. It comes standard with a 20 inch 1 in 10" twist HB that is threaded for a suppressor (Yankee Hill Machine Phantom on the way), and a Hogue pillar bedded stock.
I bought a UTG all steel scope mount, Burris XTR rings with railed tops, and a Sightforce 4-16x44 side focus IR scope.
More to follow with pics.

Back