• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

$250 sounds high to me :shock:
I have never spent more than $200 on a used 500. ;)

OK I know I got lucky 4 times :cool:

You got a great gun at really good price.
Enjoy your new toy!!

I got a 500 Persuader/Cruiser ( according to the sticker). 20" barrel, with an 8 shot magazine.
I plan to add a Hogue 12" lop stock and forend, Mesa sidesaddle (4 or 6, haven't decided), and a light.
I'll post pics and all that fun stuff when it's all together!

For now, here are my early warning systems:

jasu4e2a.jpg

ununebas.jpg

I have the classic except without the jeweled bolt. Mine is highly polished, almost chrome looking. The wood is real walnut, lightweight and also softer than hardwood so it's more susceptible to scratches and dings. I love the look and feel of the gun but I've had a couple problems with mine basically out of the box. There were a few scuff marks that won't come off the finish on the receiver that must have happened during shipping from the factory distribution to Cabelas where I bought it. I had to really rack the slide hard or else the elevator wouldn't drop and no shell would feed from the magazine. A pin in the back end of the Trigger group would start coming loose when I fired it so I'd have to take the stock off to get the assembly out to clean the gun. And the trigger assembly itself is loose in the receiver. I put lock tight on the pin and that solved that, I polished the rough edges on the elevator and now it drops every time no matter how light or hard the slide is moved. Don't know what to do about the trig group, I'll probably replace it with a 590A1 aluminum one. My point is although I love Mossberg 500's, I'm wondering why this one requires all this work new out if the box. And with the scuffs on the finish, oh well I guess I got a $300 gun

I upgraded the forearm with a pistol grip, and changed the factory grip to a matching better stock hand grip, feeling more comfortable, better grip on the firearm. I added the factory Ghost rear site and glow front site. 3" chamber, 7+1 magazine. I tried a flashlight laser, but I dislike the mount. Looking for a more compact flashlight mount. The 18 1/2" barrel makes this a nice handling shotgun in the home for personal security.

Attachments

• DSCN4147_edited-1.JPG
    DSCN4147_edited-1.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 142
I changed the rear grip and loaded a new pic, the current grips fit my hands better. Now they match.
This is most likely a shoot from the hip beast. I shot it with 3" slugs and watched flames come out of the barrel.

I am thinking of selling my Mossberg 500 to fund a purchase of a WW2 Model 12 riot shotgun. I am a collector more than shooter anyway. As noted in the thread/pics you can see the changes I made. Final product is in this thread. When I decide, I will post first in classified section.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3368&start=825
Ron

I just bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader model #50521. Great shotgun and fun to shoot! I do want to change the safety switch to a metal one and also kicking around the idea of changing the forearm to a non pinned type. Tim

Congrats on your new Mossy. You get a chance post a pic or two. :)

I have a standard mossberg forend. I attached a Phoenix 2" rail to the thing and mounted a small light. Phoenix actually sent me the rails for free. They have a curved bottom and I epoxied mine and screwed it to the upper right side. I'm a freak for how stuff looks and I found that Rustoleum body liner spray is spectacular for making parts that are black, but don't look the same match. Even I can apply it correctly and it is like a kryptonite coating that doesn't wear and gives a really good grip.

KentuckyWindage said:
I am want to know how in the world the ghost ring rear sight works with that front sight. :shock:

^^^I was thinking the same thing.^^^

Also the original poster says 18.5 but I swear that looks just like my 20 incher with the 8 shot tube. Anyway its a mean looking shotgun. We love mean looking shotguns don't we folks? :D

I got no issues with this "homeland security" tool. Looking good. If your dead set against a proper shoulder stock you might one day want to consider the Blackhawk/Knoxx recoil reducing breacher grip. Good luck with the continuing evolution of this bad boy.

KentuckyWindage said:
I am want to know how in the world the ghost ring rear sight works with that front sight. :shock:

I'm wondering this as well.

Also for the OP, that is unmistakably a 20" barrel.

All 500's shipped with the 7-round magazines from the factory are 20" barrels, no exceptions.

I just bought this gun, and it was covered in years of grease and grime. I stripped it down, cleaned the hell out of it, oiled it, and it turned out really nice and clean. One of my questions, is there any way for me to find out when it was manufactured? Also, any input on what I have exactly would be appreciated. image.jpg

Welcome aboard.

I would send and e-mail with your serial number and requested information to the contact below:

Ms. Norma Martinez
martinezn@mossberg.com

Ms. Norma should be able to find the model specifics on your shotgun as well as a date of manufacture...

Hopefully Mossberg can give you specifics. A cursory glance shows:

A standard model 500A in camo. Nothing fantastic, just a fantastic workhorse of a shotgun.

Stock and Barrel are 'old style' by which I mean 1990's. These are pretty solid guns. Mossbergs have gotten better and worse over the years. That gun is in the golden age of Mossberg, after they made necessary updates and before demand exceeded supply.

Barrel will be stamped Mossberg (good) and has lug-mounted sling stud (good). Will have the narrow barrel nut (undesirable, but its what you get with your stud mount [usually]). Stock has the functional recoil pad and honest 14 length of pull (good). Will have narrow pedestal-style safety button (good, but recommend better). Forend is common late model 7 5/8 which is about as (good) as it gets. Will have updated trigger assembly.

Curious - is the receiver drilled and tapped for mount?

EDIT: Just found the poll. Guns is worth every bit of 200. That is just about rock bottom for any shotgun, and that 500 is one best shotguns available.

Last edited:
Yes, the receiver is drilled and tapped for a mount. I have a ton more pictures of it, but it's saying I can't upload them because of size. Thank you for all of your input

Drilled and taped receivers started in 1990-1991. What are the first few prefixes of the serial number?

Back