• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

email ms.Norma to find out for sure.
I have a 500A born 12/28/1988 and the serial # starts with a K. I'd bet yours is a 1990-1991.
Just a good guess on my part.;)

From what I have seen here on years and serial numbers it should be close.:rolleyes:
MS.Norma will give him the exact born date.

A used 500 that works is always worth $200. I have been EXTREMELY LUCKY finding all 4 of my used 500's. All but the .410 were under $200. The .410 was $202 I believe and was LNIB. One was an extremely rough old factory camo. I did a sponge paint camo on it and put on a C-Lect choked barrel. It is my favorite hunting gun now.

A fully functional gun is definitely worth $200.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. Just bought my first new (to me) Mossberg 500AT and wanted to say hello and share some photos. I have previous shotgun experience with my dad's guns shooting clay pidgeons, and then had a Remington Spartan O/U for awhile but I wanted something more versatile for HD and trap shooting so I sold it and got this used 500.

I have been lurking here for awhile learning about this versatile gun, and emailed the Havlin's my Serial number and this is what I got back:

500 = model
A = 12 ga
T = sold throughthe hardware and discount retailers

The G serial numbers were made 1973-1977 - yours is about 30% of the way through the million gun run of hte G alpha series, so best bet is 1878-1979.

Value = $175-$300 based on overall condition

I paid $200 which seems average. I'm a little confused by her reply since she stated '73-'77 and then said '78-'79. I replied to clarify but I assume she's quite busy. Anyone have anything more specific about the G serial numbers? I was born in '79 so it would be kinda cool if the gun was from then too. I also tried contacting Mossberg through their web form, we'll see what happens there.

Haven't shot her yet, probably next weekend. Is the 30" full choke good for trap? I assume it is, based on what I've read, but it might be choked a little more than some prefer.

I already ordered a 18.5" barrel, heatshield, and a different wood stock and forend. Will post updated pics when it all gets here. I took a risk and ordered some of the un-pictured ones on Numrich, so I'll be sure to list what they are along with a picture so others can put a shape to a number. I'm kind of going for the wood furniture trench gun look.

mossy1.jpg
mossy3.jpg

mossy2.jpg

mossy4.jpg

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on a great lookin' Mossy.
I might be wrong but I always thought the T stood for Trap.
I believe the 600AT was the gun sold at the big retailers like montgomery ward.

As far as the serial # goes email Ms.Norma at mossberg she will be able to give you info on your gun.

Martinez, Norma
martinezn@mossberg.com

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
First simple mods - barrel and heatshield, but I love the look and feel of it now. There's some wear on the bluing in a few spots, but I kind of like it... I mean it's about 40 years old, so it gives it character. I'll add more pics when the new furniture arrives.
mossy5.jpg

Well, I'm going to try it shooting clays next weekend and see how I like it. I do want the option of a long barrel though, so if I do sell it, it would be to get a 28" VR so I can switch chokes.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. Just bought my first new (to me) Mossberg 500AT and wanted to say hello and share some photos. I have previous shotgun experience with my dad's guns shooting clay pidgeons, and then had a Remington Spartan O/U for awhile but I wanted something more versatile for HD and trap shooting so I sold it and got this used 500.

I have been lurking here for awhile learning about this versatile gun, and emailed the Havlin's my Serial number and this is what I got back:

500 = model
A = 12 ga
T = sold throughthe hardware and discount retailers

The G serial numbers were made 1973-1977 - yours is about 30% of the way through the million gun run of hte G alpha series, so best bet is 1878-1979.

Value = $175-$300 based on overall condition

I paid $200 which seems average. I'm a little confused by her reply since she stated '73-'77 and then said '78-'79. I replied to clarify but I assume she's quite busy. Anyone have anything more specific about the G serial numbers? I was born in '79 so it would be kinda cool if the gun was from then too. I also tried contacting Mossberg through their web form, we'll see what happens there.

Haven't shot her yet, probably next weekend. Is the 30" full choke good for trap? I assume it is, based on what I've read, but it might be choked a little more than some prefer.

I already ordered a 18.5" barrel, heatshield, and a different wood stock and forend. Will post updated pics when it all gets here. I took a risk and ordered some of the un-pictured ones on Numrich, so I'll be sure to list what they are along with a picture so others can put a shape to a number. I'm kind of going for the wood furniture trench gun look.

mossy1.jpg
mossy3.jpg

mossy2.jpg

mossy4.jpg
Welcome " nice 500 enjoy

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

This is Numrich product #554830A - Stock, 12 & 16 Ga., Military, w/ Recoil Pad & Black Spacer:

8fRB4Tx.jpg

This is product # 561030A - Forend, 12 & 16 Ga., Rat Tail, Oil Finish (top, my stock forend on the bottom):

MkMrtb1.jpg

Am I wrong, or is this the elusive "corn cob" or "police style" forend that everyone seems to be looking for?

These two don't match perfectly, so I'll probably refinish them later, plus the forend has a crack, so I might see if Numrich will exchange it, but I don't know if these are just old stock and you get what you get? I'll take pics of the parts on the gun tomorrow.

Here's the crack - I emailed them about it, hope they'll replace it, I just don't like waiting for shipping there and back again. I plan on shooting this weekend, so maybe I'll use it and mail it back next week.

SCdiRTW.jpg

Here's what it looks like all put together. The snow was all melted yesterday, but we got more last night, yay.

Back