• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Rico, the button head screws tapped directly into the barrel look much neater than the original mounting tabs. Looks like they also did a nice job on the clearance slot for the front sight. Let us know how everything holds up under fire. I might be interested paying them a visit as well. Comp-N-Choke is only an hour away from me.

Rico, you have me thinking (dangerous!). As you will recall, I mentioned drilling and tapping the heat shield if I needed to to stop any possible movement of the heat shield under recoil. Now, after seeing what you did, I'm thinking about doing the drilling and tapping but then cutting off the mounting tabs where they stick down from the barrel. I would keep the curve of the mounting tabs and just cut the downward tabs that extend from the barrel eliminating the screw holes. This will allow the heat shield to have the mounting tabs still holding the heat shield in place and remove the very tight fit of the mag cap. That makes it easier to remove the mag cap or add a Picatinny adapter if wanted. It will also give a cleaner look. Now Rico, stop making me think about these things.

I would drill and tap at the tip of the arrow in the photo and cut the tab at the white line to remove the extra tabs. You can see how this will free up the mag cap.

100_0362 (Small).JPG

Rico, the button head screws tapped directly into the barrel look much neater than the original mounting tabs. Looks like they also did a nice job on the clearance slot for the front sight. Let us know how everything holds up under fire. I might be interested paying them a visit as well. Comp-N-Choke is only an hour away from me.
I'll let you know. They are 7 minutes from my house.

I took Stogie to our local machine shop Comp-N-Choke. They manufacture turkey chokes and more.
I told Stuart what I wanted him to do, and it turned out just the way I wanted.
I had him remove the front tabs, cut a hole in the shield just large enough for the Big Dot, and drill and tap the barrel on each side.
I like the results very much. Remove two small button head hex bolts and the shield slides off.

Now that's a proper fit and finish. Very nice. I really like that it's attached with threaded fasteners and can be removed easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took Stogie to our local machine shop Comp-N-Choke. They manufacture turkey chokes and more.
I told Stuart what I wanted him to do, and it turned out just the way I wanted.
I had him remove the front tabs, cut a hole in the shield just large enough for the Big Dot, and drill and tap the barrel on each side.
I like the results very much. Remove two small button head hex bolts and the shield slides off.View attachment 16120 View attachment 16121

Awesome job they did! Looks clean.

I enjoyed reading that article Mark. His flip-flop review kept it interesting. However, my greatest take away was from one of the replies. A guy named Wayne had some very interesting comments. I tried his suggestion for using a sling with the Shockwave, and the idea is great. I will try it at the range asap.
"By holding the Shockwave Raptor grip close to my side just below my rib cage and running the sling from the grip across my body, behind my support arm elbow and up to the front swivel, I can minimize recoil to "hardly noticeable."

Last edited:
It does sound interesting use of the sling. Let us know how it feels both with and without the sling use. Now that you have the heat shield installed, I trust you have seen the value of the shield after extended firing (besides of just looking so good).

Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought it was a pretty good watch when I first saw it. Kind of like an intro to the shockwave type of video. I found it interesting though when he starts to talk about proper stance and technique for the shockwave and patterns it from different distances for ppl to get a general idea of shot distance group sizes.

Forrest, you're getting quite an assortment of shotgun ammo. I remember you shot several others in the past. What is your favorite so far for the Shockwave?

Anyone know anything about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MagPul-M-Lo...214427&hash=item41cdbc663c:g:eJwAAOSwEFNZnEVl
It's described as "Tactical Shotgun Rail Mount with integrated heat shield". I see noted in the description; "Fits Mossberg Shockwave Shotguns Only". I can't find anything on the Aimtech site that has additional details, such as does it really fit, or how is it mounted at the front end.

I think it looks very cool, plus I like the name "Warhammer", but it is kind of expensive for something that I'm not sure will really fit.. Part of the cost on the ebay part has got to be the M-Lok rail that is included. I poked around the web, and it looks as if you can find just the Warhammer rail for around $80. Sure would like to know more about this piece.

Back