• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I decided to cancel my order for the Shockwave from Palmetto State armory due to the long delay in shipping (over 10 days, $389.95 + $17.99 ship). I found a dealer on GB that had 8 Shockwaves for sale (now 7) for $359.99 with free shipping and no CC fees. I saved about $48 and I'll get the Shockwave sooner. I just wanted to let members know that there is a good price out there. So, after the transfer ($25) I'll have spent about $385 out the door (no sales tax in DE).

Please delete if not allowed.

$385 OTD is a good price. I paid $390 OTD. Keep us posted on what you think about it and what you do to it. Enjoy.

Several people have said the ends of safety strap are uncomfortable and they rub against the hand when shooting. I have seen one shooter who used sheet neoprene to cover the ends of the strap for protection. Instead, I'm going to try Plasti-dip (?). This is the liquid rubber for coating tool handles and other things. I plan on removing the strap, dipping the ends of the strap, and re-punching the screw holes before re-installing the strap. This should give the same effect as the sheet neopreen but will look better and cover the sides of the strap. I will keep the strap on the Shockwave. It's a good safety device (I like 10 fingers).

That's a good idea. The corners of my strap are a little sharp, but I have never felt they were an issue. If I do anything, I may heat the corners with a torch long enough to dull them.

I decided to cancel my order for the Shockwave from Palmetto State armory due to the long delay in shipping (over 10 days, $389.95 + $17.99 ship). I found a dealer on GB that had 8 Shockwaves for sale (now 7) for $359.99 with free shipping and no CC fees. I saved about $48 and I'll get the Shockwave sooner. I just wanted to let members know that there is a good price out there. So, after the transfer ($25) I'll have spent about $385 out the door (no sales tax in DE).

Please delete if not allowed.

Just a note: I had a choice of with or without the sling swivel on the Raptor grip. I chose with as I can always remove it and it seems that those with the sling stub are later production (don't know if it matters, though).

Is the distance from the front of the receiver to the rear edge of the barrel band (?) that goes over the mag tube the same for the Shockwave, 500 and regular 590 6-shot guns? I'm trying to get an idea of what I can get for a heat shield for the Shockwave. I know Aim Pro will put one on the Shockwave for $169 but that is too steep for me.

Just how long is the parkerized heat shield for the 590A1 heavy barrel from Mossberg (#16335P)?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a photo of the A1 heat shield (part #16335P) that clearly shows the mounting system at both ends? Also how long is the 16335P heat shield? I'm looking to see if this heat shield can be modified for the 590 Shockwave.

My Shockwave should be ready for delivery on Tuesday. It would be Monday but my FFL is closed on Monday. As for the heat shield, I'm waiting on some photos and measurements to see if the Mossberg 16335P heat shield can be modified to the Shockwave. I'll wait to get the Shockwave before I decide on a sling setup. Now it's just a waiting game (but not too long!). I do have the Big Dot, Promag safety, Opsol adapter, and the Talon grip wrap waiting. I also have one box each of the mini-shell 7 1/2 shot and Buckshot plus about a 3/4 box of mini slug in addition to various sizes of full size shells. I have a lot of 4 buck that I would like to use as a primary load.

I hope you're not recoil sensitive. 3" #4 Buck was more than I could stand at five shells and I'm a big bore junkie. The angle is all wrong on the grip for eye level firing as it torques the wrist. I'll bet it works well with hip level at that level of recoil.
Federal LE 1321B is my pet load and recoils only slightly more than the tiny shells. 13200 for those that love 00 Buck. The one downside is that these loads don't really open up until 30 yards or greater. 00 Buck has a tendency to do this in a standard shot cup much soon at about ten yards. Probably less if you go for the S&B junk or the high velocity reduced pellet loads. I tested the Winchester Double X 3" 12 pellet load and it was loud and spread bigger than a person's shoulders at 15 yards. I've got some other stuff to try for laughs, but I've settled on #1(LE1321B)(XB1231) and 000 (P158000) for my buckshot needs. They patterned better than #4 and 00 Buck.

A lot of good info here. Thanks. I have 2 3/4" Federal 4 buck (F127 4B). It's not high brass. I also have several types of loads including reduced recoil slugs and 3 boxes of the minishells (1 box each of slug, buck and 7 1/2 shot). I picked up the Opsol adapter for the mini's. I'll try out the different types and see what is best. Oh, there is no way I'll touch off a 3" magnum in the Shockwave.

I am not actually replying to any of the responses in this thread....but figured I would ask a question of all with Shockwave 590s...

I have attached a Single-Point Mount to my Shockwave. I have installed a GGG-1981, which is the pin and nut that go through and replace the receiver-pin. I find the nut abrasive on the hand when shooting many rounds. Has anyone put a GGG-1429, the wedge between the birdshead grip and receiver and had good luck with it? Before I go ahead and purchase one, I want to know if it is compatible with the Shockwave? Anyone?

I found this scabbard. The standard length is 30" but Beez will cut it to the length you want. I saked about a 22" or 23" scabbard and I was told that Beez will "cut it down if needed". Take a look at the short barrel scabbard to get an idea of what it will look like. It costs $107.99 but you get a lot with the strap mounting system. I don't think I can afford it but it's worth a look.

Well, I decided to take one for the team today and ordered the Beez short barreled scabbard.

http://beezcombatsystems.com/Short-Barrel-Scabbard-BCS-SBS.htm

I emailed them and asked for specific dimensions. Because it's shaped like a funnel, you can insert it vertically, or canted to either side. If you holster it vertically, the top edge of the scabbard will be flush with the rear of the trigger guard. Right at 20 1/2" - which is perfect for the 590 receiver with a 14" barrel. If you holster it canted to either side, it'll cover 23" of the firearm, which will leave just the last 3 inches of the Raptor grip exposed.

I liked their design for a few specific reasons that will (hopefully) work better for me than the Voodoo Tactical.
1) dual shoulder straps and a waist belt. The Voodoo has a very sloppy and difficult draw because the entire scabbard came up my back along with the firearm. It looks like Beez's "backpack" design will keep the scabbard snug and in-place as I draw.
2) Beez's design also includes a weapon retention strap. Perfect for me while it's bungee'd to an ATV in the woods, but then unclip it for when I'm on foot and might need to draw the weapon for a bear.

It'll be a few weeks before I receive it. I'll upload pics with a Shockwave (using my original plastic furniture) so everyone that's curious can see how it fits. Wish me luck. It just added an additional 30% to the cost of my gun. Hope it doesn't suck!

Back