• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Another Boring 930SPX Range Report.

Not boring at all to me, I love reading these positive reports. Congrats brother!

new 930 spx

I got(bought for myself) a 930 spx for christmas. Got to shoot for the first time today. It was AWESOME.
Not one problem. Shot 4 boxes of remington shells. it went BOOM everytime. Tried to shoot skeet for the first time in my life. Gonna need some practice I think.I didnt hit anything for the first ten or so shots then let my son have a few shots(hes never shot skeet either) He didnt miss in 10 tries so I asked for some pointers and I did what he was doing and I hit a few. Great day.

Re: new 930 spx

Congratulations! Always nice to hear of parents and their kids shooting together. Now you need to post up some pictures!

Glad to hear your 930spx is running as it should! Be sure to post up some pictures and video when you get a chance.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

...sounds like a great bonding moment ~ ;)

Hick14454 said:
I like the positive reviews, looking to get one this week. Can anyone who has shot this gun "a lot" give me any negative reviews on this gun?

I believe Mossberg corrected the most commend negative item and that was a canted front sight. What I did before purchasing my 930 SPX and you can do this at the gun dealer before purchasing the gun is to turn the gun up side down and place the gun on the counter resting on the blades of the front and rear sights. If you can rock the gun with little effort then the front sight maybe canted to one side. One other is to look for a bent magazine tube, the magazine extension should be parallel to the barrel. I’ve found the gun to be very reliable and yes you will find negative reviews on the 930 just like you will find negative reviews with any gun. If you do purchase a 930, just give it a good cleaning, this is also a great time to get to know the workings of the gun, then take it to the range and shoot it. Some people break in their gun with high brass loads before switching to low brass birdshot. I’m loving my 930 SPX and I as for reliability I will put my $650 semi auto next to any of the more than double the priced guns. Especially when shooting the less expensive low brass birdshot loads. This gun can go through 100 shells before you know it and if your gun will only reliable shoot the high brass stuff then that get’s really expensive. For my fun shooting I’ve shot hundreds of the Wal-Mart Remington 100 shell value pack low brass birdshot loads with no malfunctions, they sell this load for around $26.00. What else can I say other than I'm loving this gun.

I have owned a 930 for 3 years now and put over 20,000 rounds through it at skeet, trap, sporting clays and hunting. I can easily run 25's in skeet with it and am close to becoming a Master Class sporting clays shooter with it. I have had three break downs with it all costing less than 25 dollars. I broke a link pin to the bolt and twice I broke off one of the metal prongs on the pusher assembly, both times I finished the tournament with one left with no gun malfunctions. I couldn't be happier with this gun. I spent 400 dollars and am competing with guys that spent thousands on their guns with good reliability. I do clean my gun after every tournament. I am not mechanically inclined but I can completely break down this gun including easily taking apart the trigger assembly, something I never thought I would be able to do with any gun. I always take the barrel off and run a cleaning brush through it and a pipe cleaner through the gas ports. I always check the metal ring over the spring in the gas bleedoff chamber, whatever that is called, to see if it needs tightening. It tends to loosen up with lots of shooting. I always take the bolt out and wipe it off and put a little Breakfree on the sides where the bolt grooves rub against the receiver housing then wipe it off leaving a thin coat. I do the same thing on the outside of the magazine tube spraying on Breakfree then wiping it off leaving a thin film. I do the same thing on the gas piston and the piston housing. I wipe down the inside of the receiver before reassembling the gun. Occasionally I will take apart the trigger assembly and clean it then put it back together being sure to wipe all the oil off. If you leave it wet it will collect debris while shooting. My gun is always 100 percent in a tournament for 200 rounds. On both my 930 and my 935 I have had to use the blue lock tight on the magazine where it screws into the receiver to keep it tight. Be careful not to overtighten it if you do before using the lock tight or your shell stop won't work right. This might sound like a lot of cleaning after every tournament I shoot but I can do it all in less than 10 minutes. These guns like to be clean.

rangeredge said:
Great Reviews ! Here's my 930 Tactical with Heatshield and Mossberg GRS... ;)
mossberg930tactical008s.jpg

mossberg930tactical018s.jpg

mossberg930tactical019s.jpg

mossberg930tactical026s.jpg

:cool:
Mind if I ask the capacity? Dumb question I know but I'm just curious, 4+1 right?

Did a review after shooting 500 rounds. After the detailed cleaning no issues with the weapon after 300+ rounds as far as shooting. Picatinny rail screws (2) came loose and are now gone. Rail now held on with one screw. Other than that this shotgun shoots very reliably.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjm0Yd86_1g[/youtube]

Mossberg 930 SPX Vs Blackwater - IN A NUT SHELL -

Before I ask the question, I'd like to apologize if this has already covered in the endless topics about the 930 SPX.

So, I'm sorry.

I'm in the market for a shotgun and I thought this was going to be an easy task until I came across this forum, in which I'm very glad, but yet reluctant now with my future purchase.

I'm looking at the Mossberg 930 SPX

Q: What is the differences between the Mossberg 930 SPX Vs Blackwater version?

Q: Which one is better?

Q: After reading about all the issues/malfunctions with this model right out of the box... Do I even want to mess with it?

Q: Have they fixed the problems or am I just asking for trouble?

Again, I appreciate all the reviews... i just need a straight "in a nut shell" answer.

Thank you.

David

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Vs Blackwater - IN A NUT SHELL -

Near as I can tell the only differences in the blackwater are the pistol grip is standard, sights are low profile, and maybe the charging handle is more robust. Other than that the build is exactly the same and should fire as the normal 930 spx.

I've had my 930 spx for over a month and put over 500 rounds. My issues in the first 165 rounds haven't shown up after I cleaned it really well. Issues were failure to feed, eject, and magazine spring jamming up. Thing was just dirty as hell and needed some oil.

I've ran a ton of cheap ammo through it and it cycles well. So far it eats everything I put it through.

3rd generation should be well in the market now and seem to be the most reliable. When you get your hands on it make sure the front sight is not canted, forend is solid, the action is smooth, the magazine tube is not warped, and the picatinny rail is on solid.

930 SPX Pattern Test 00 Buck & Turkey Load

Took a personal day off from work today to get some things done and one of them was getting in a legit pattern test for my 930 SPX 18.5" cylinder barrel. Shot about 25 rounds of 00 Buck, 20 rounds of Slugs and 200 rounds of bird shot (working on combat reload from my buttstock side saddle).

Great day and I had the entire shotgun range to myself for about 1.5 hours before people started showing up so my patterns were done quickly and uninterrupted.

Here are some of the results at 15 yards:

Federal 00 Buck Low Recoil
7094327009_e8fa8b2f86.jpg

Hornady TAP 00 Buck
7094330601_a2ec8a496e.jpg

Winchester Super X 00 Buck
7094335689_02bf8872f5.jpg

Hornady Zombie Max 00 Buck (I couldn't resist)
7094339265_ae8971e85b.jpg

Hornady Turkey Load Magnum # 5
7094344745_c8840ddd74.jpg

Hornady TAP 00 Buck (2 rapid shots, combat load shot... trying to do it fast and under pressure)
7094367991_1bea1576ee.jpg

35 Yard Test Turkey Load:
6948281012_f0e1b658b5.jpg

50 Yard Slug Test & Sighting in my Ghost Ring Sights:
6948302088_42fd546734.jpg

Results:

I feel extremely confident with the Hornady TAP 00 Buck and will get more of this ammo for my HD rounds
Hornady Zombie Max came in at a close second
Federal 00 Low recoil Buck was decent
Winchester Super X wasn't so good for my shotty

Hornady Turkey Load claims an improved cylinder choke or modified choke will give tight patterns instead of a full choke. Some wanted to see of a cylinder barrel is just good enough for turkey hunting without getting a threaded barrel. I'm not confident in this without a decent choke. Barrel on order with some additional chokes will need more testing. However at 15 yards this is pretty nasty stuff with no choke.

Slugs:
Brenekke Tactial Home Defense made the tightest groups at 50 yards
A close second was Remington Rifled Slugs
Federal Rifled Slugs was the worst and had the largest groups plus 2 miss

Great test today.

Re: 930 SPX Pattern Test 00 Buck & Turkey Load

Wowzerz! That Hornady magnum turkey load looks great!!! That is an excellent pattern! I think I might have to try that....

Yeah the Hornady Turkey load was at 15 yards with a cylinder barrel no choke. At 35 yards it becomes less than desirable. I've got like 7 left over as soon as my threaded 24" turkey barrel comes in I'll give it the "proper" test and post results. Probably won't be for a couple of months.

Aha...well.. I'm still going to check it out. I'm done with Federals stuff. I've had to many ftf and that's unacceptable.

Excellent!!! Nice work man, thanks for doin all this!

I really like the Federal, and for me personally, Hornady has always been a very close second!!! I keep both and am comfortable with either!

I havent patterned any turkey loads to date, but I agree, the longer barrel and choke should do well for you! Thats what I'm wantin too is the 930 with 24" VR barrel and choke set!

Thanks for puttin this together, i think it may need its own link under the ammo evaluated thread! Whaddya think?

Sure man if you want to move this or copy this have at it :)

Back