• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Had my first 3Gun outing w/ my ported 930spx

I had fun running my 930 spx but I had issues before and on the match ... I had some ports put on the barrel and it was jam city ... Mostly my fault because I bought the walmart federal bulk ammo.

First I was having failure to eject the last round ... I cured this by using the Nordic spring cut to the right lenght and then during the match; I bought Federal Bulk ammo 1200fps. With the ports and a 18.5" barrel, I wasnt build enough gas to eject the rounds soo I had issues with ejection.

heres from vids of the match ... pls be kind I'm not a 3gun guy and didnt really have the gear for it ... I shoot more pistol than anything.

Stage 1 = Pistol & ShotGun w/ 2 slug shots
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwr5oNhH98[/youtube]

Stage 2 = Pistol & ShotGun

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipdL1prpJQg[/youtube]

Stage 3 = Shotgun
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJZUOAHSMY[/youtube]

Stage 4 = Rifle & ShotGun & then back to Rifle ( longest shot was 400yrds ) 4 out of the 6 wasnt bad for first outing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s47cPsyHPNk[/youtube]

Stage 6 = Rifle & ShotGun
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0s1y2KnPnU[/youtube]

Re: Had my first 3Gun outing w/ my ported 930spx

Sorry the ammo caused you some grief, but in spite of that it sure looks like a helluva lot of fun!

Good work.

Rippspeed - Man, you're built like me. "Recoil - pah! I don't feel no stinkin' recoil." Thanks for posting the video. Too bad about the technical issues - you were shooting WallyWorld birdshot?? did you tap the barrel for chokes?

Comment: You can pick a LOT of time with your shotgun loading. Just a couple of tweaks and you'll load in half the time. Cargo pants are great (a must have for IDPA tactical reloads with retention) - I wear them in a lot of events but that is a LONG reach to the lower pocket for shells. A sub $10 canvas belt dump pouch will put them so much closer. You are actually bending at the waist to get each shell. Also - practice grabbing two at a time. Even if they are backwards you'll be surprised how you can manipulate them as you move to the magazine. This is easy living room practice. Training ammo is cheap - I practice with live shells and double check the safety and take it to the basement with no one else around.

So - what's the pistol and rifle??

Looking forward to seeing more!

What a kick in the pants! Thanks for posting the vids. It encourages those of us without three gun experience. You seemed amazingly relaxed through it all. Looks like fun......

mingaa said:
Rippspeed - Man, you're built like me. "Recoil - pah! I don't feel no stinkin' recoil." Thanks for posting the video. Too bad about the technical issues - you were shooting WallyWorld birdshot?? did you tap the barrel for chokes?

Comment: You can pick a LOT of time with your shotgun loading. Just a couple of tweaks and you'll load in half the time. Cargo pants are great (a must have for IDPA tactical reloads with retention) - I wear them in a lot of events but that is a LONG reach to the lower pocket for shells. A sub $10 canvas belt dump pouch will put them so much closer. You are actually bending at the waist to get each shell. Also - practice grabbing two at a time. Even if they are backwards you'll be surprised how you can manipulate them as you move to the magazine. This is easy living room practice. Training ammo is cheap - I practice with live shells and double check the safety and take it to the basement with no one else around.

So - what's the pistol and rifle??

Looking forward to seeing more!

My pistol is an STI Edge chambered in 40sw thats been tweaked by 1911 SpeedShop in Riverside... And the AR is a custom build, The upper was built by JV Dynamics w/ WOA barrel and the lower I put together with a Mega Arms billet lower.

oohh sorry yes my barrel is tapped for chokes ... I need to get a full or modified choke for it ...

harbec55 said:
What a kick in the pants! Thanks for posting the vids. It encourages those of us without three gun experience. You seemed amazingly relaxed through it all. Looks like fun......

Relaxed than just means it was my first time and I knew it ... So I said screw it just have fun and try it out. I love the longer range Ar shots and the parts where I had to shoot slug out of the mossberg.

They have a few of these events by me I really need to get into one of them for the fun of it!

As for the Mossy.... Try lubing up the piston and make sure the piston rings are off set from one another. I've noticed she likes to run a little wet. Mine cycles 1200fps Federal walmart crap just fine.

Water Monkey said:
They have a few of these events by me I really need to get into one of them for the fun of it!
;
As for the Mossy.... Try lubing up the piston and make sure the piston rings are off set from one another. I've noticed she likes to run a little wet. Mine cycles 1200fps Federal walmart crap just fine.

But is yours ported like mine??? My 930 is ported by R&D Custom Barrel

R&D Custom Port Work on My Mossberg 930 SPX by rippspeed1, on Flickr

And yes I run all my pistol, AR, & shotgun wet with lubriplate fmo-350-aw oil...
This is the reason why I need to run hotter ammo. I been busy build a 6“ race gun and have neglected ordering a 24" barrel from mossberg to replace my stock 18.5" barrel...

Nice looking porting but that only leaves you a few inches of barrel to build pressure for the piston - going to be extremely tough to get enough oomph with the low powered rounds (especially if you let the gun float at all in your hands/not firm on the shoulder – it will short stroke like you said). Recommend you clean out the gas ports good (maybe increase them 10 to 20 thousandths) and polish up the chamber and piston to minimize resistance - that will help a lot since you are on the ragged edge (I saw a dramatic improvement on my 930 with polishing alone). After doing that, try the Winchester AA sporting clay shot shells (I had very good luck with them – even when totally limp wristing) and they are only a $ or so more expensive per box than the cheap Wal-Mart federals/Winchesters. Great Videos!!!

Good job. With each match you will get better and better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Looking good, Rippspeed! I am seriously thinking about 3 gun and watching you do it makes me want to do it more.

millsusaf said:
Good job. With each match you will get better and better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Thats the thing I wont be doing any 3gun matches for a while. The ammo is too expensive because I'm not loading it myself. I've been buying Black Hills 68gr and 77gr ammo.

Plus I have a goal of trying to get GM in USPSA Limited ... This 3gun game might take away my focus on that.

Looks like I might be picking up a JM Pro 24" tomorrow ... If I can get my greedy hands on one I might sell my spx

picked up a 24" Mossberg 930 JM Pro series, today... but since I'm in Komifornia I have to wait 10days to get her out. Once I get her out I'll be replacing exchanging a few things out...

Brand New Mossberg Owner Update Range Report

This is a continue onto the other posting that I have on this forum. I bought a new mossberg 930 spx shotgun last month. When I went to clean the gun I found terrible deep gashes and marks on the magazine tube. Also I was only able to load five 2 3/4" shells in tube. Called mossberg ,and after the back and forth phone calls I ended up speaking to Javier to handle the issues I was having. I sent my shotgun out on 8/17 and had it back 8/25. I am now able to load all seven 2 3/4" shells. I am also able to ghost load this shotgun as well. Upon taking the shot gun apart I found a new magazine tube with no marks also a new magazine tube that was shorter than the first one in firearm. So far so good. I took the 930 to the range this past friday and shot 75 rounds of winchester super x 2 3/4" shells that move at 1290ftps. No issues at all. When I got home took apart to clean the are no deep gashes in tube as prior. The only thing that shows in a very light mark where the coil spings rides inside the piston housing. I am pretty sure this is normal. Please throw in your comments what do you guys think????

Re: Brand New Mossberg Owner Update Range Report

Sounds like OFM has some technicians that Javier knows who can properly assemble a 930 SPX. I wish there were more like them at the factory when they were putting them together for the first time. ;)

Paul

Questions about 5-shot combo model

Hi Everyone,

I've settled on getting a 930 for 3-gun and trap. I've looked at the JM Pro (signature series) and it looks great for 3-gun, but the barrel is a little short for the other games. Then, I found the 5-shot combo (#85325) here:
http://mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-930-special-purpose-5-shot-combo/85325

I have a couple of questions about it, though:

From the website, it lists the capacity as 4+1 or 7+1. Does a longer magazine tube come with the longer barrel?

This model seems like a pretty good deal. Two barrels for less money than the JM PRO. That made me wonder: what makes the JM PRO so much more expensive? Is it just that they have to pay royalties for a name? I understand the minor tweaks they've made (beveled this or shortened that). I'm just not sure what makes the JM PRO series so different.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Re: Questions about 5-shot combo model

Once again I'm confused by what they put on their page. The model is listed as a 5 shot combo but they list 8 as an option but do not allow you to change specs to see that model.

The 930's only come with one length magazine tube (4 rounts). An extension may be installed to add additional rounds. This extension can be removed replaced at any time if you wish to change it up. (at your expense, if you want something other than what is included)

The barrel length itself will not determine the capacity of the gun. Usually you see the higher capacity in tactical/HD model or competition guns.

The JM has some additional features like extended magazine, oversized charging handle, and some work to the gas/loading system. Plus just having Jerry's name on it. :D

If you are not familiar with Jerry Miculek, he is a competition shooter and this gun was built based on some of the things he wants in a competition gun.

Re: Questions about 5-shot combo model

MikeD said:
Once again I'm confused by what they put on their page. The model is listed as a 5 shot combo but they list 8 as an option but do not allow you to change specs to see that model.

I agree. Usually, I can decode the marketing mumbo-jumbo on gun sites, but this part confused me.

MikeD said:
If you are not familiar with Jerry Miculek, he is a competition shooter and this gun was built based on some of the things he wants in a competition gun.

Yeah, I like the guy (never met him, but he's in a lot of videos) and Mossberg scored big when they got him to endorse their gun. I've always thought his wheel-gun shooting was where he made his name in the shooting world, but it turns out that he's like a lot of us and just likes to shoot -- doesn't matter what kind of gun. :)

Anyway, I'm giving serious consideration to the 5-shot combo and getting an extended mag tube for it. That seems like it would give me the best of all worlds -- a nice 3-gun shotty and a darn good, long-barrel trap gun. And, after accessories, I will probably come out at the same price as a single JM PRO. Anyone see a flaw in this logic?

Back