• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Customer Service Thread...

Re: Mossberg Poor Customer Service

Good news, I received an email this morning from Norma Martinez (email representative), indicating that they had repaired the "firearm" and sent it to me. Provided was a tracking number for Fed Ex. I checked the tracking and found that they had shipped it out on the 29th, the day after emailing Joe. Its in my state right now and I would guess its less than 40 miles from my house, but Its delivery date is set for Monday, probably due to 2 things, since the signature is required for delivery, I set it to go to my work address (business address), there is always someone to sign for it at the front office and if for some reason, like having to work and am not home when it arrives, I dont have to worry about when they try to deliver it and miss it. Im not sure why they wouldnt just email me and provide the tracking number immediately when they put it on the truck, especially when it requires a signature.

Yes, im excited at present, but im keeping myself in check until I give the shotgun a good testing to see if it runs through the paces like its supposed to, only then will I be happy.

Good news, I received an email this morning from Norma Martinez...

Great Lady to deal with! On the phone she is very brief and not overly informational, but she will tell you what you need to know. I think in part it is due to the high volume of calls they constantly get all day long and just want to get as many questions answered, as quickly and accurately as possible, without wasting time on stuff you may really not need to know.

Well I got through on the phone this morning. I don't know who I was talking to, but the guy was very nice. He said my gun still wasn't ready and asked what was wrong with it. When I told him it was a broken blade ejector, he sounded surprised. "That's it?" he asked, like I hadn't told the same thing to anyone else as I had called and e-mailed. He put me on hold briefly and came back to tell me he spoke with the lead technician. Apparently the technician was looking for my gun as we spoke, and would try to get it done today or tomorrow. We'll see.

Got my 2nd barrel and its clean as a whistle. Checked inside an out. Barrel looks mint to me so I'm happy. Now I will send the bad barrel back with their prepaid label. Jonathan smith helped me out and he was a big help.

Speed_Addict said:
cmcdonald said:
Speed_Addict said:
Good news for me! Just got an automated messaage from FedEx. Sounds like my SPX is on its way home - nearly 2 months round trip. Keeping my fingers crossed it comes back safely, all issues fixed and no new ones (mechanical or cosmetic) . I'll keep you all posted.
Glad to hear it man! Hope mine isn't far behind!!

Looks my SPX made it home yesterday. Too bad I was there to greet it :( (at least my wife was there to sign for it) - on business travel all this week. Saturday I get home, I sure hope that it is like Christmas and I get the weapon I hoped for when I first unboxed my purchase.

cmcdonald - I sure hope you get yours back soon as well!

Well, I said I would keep all posted on my experience. It has been 2.5 weeks since my 930SPX was returned from warranty work and I finally had time to complete my total field strip, clean and inspection. The verdict is mixed sad to say.

The good:

The canted Choate magazine tube extension, in which the extension tube was also so far off center in the collar/nut that it created a huge lip between the extension's tube and receiver's magazine tube that the follower could not pass by, was replaced.

The barrel assembly, which had a ding in the barrel crown that was deep enough to deform the inner circumference on the crown by a measureable amount was replaced.

I am assuming my safety was inspected as it still functions the same - a bit stiff to go on safe after a dry fire but reasonably smooth on/off when cocked.

The bad:

The magazine tube with light scratching from a bur on the gas spring was not replaced - they must have considered it OK - but for something that was still "new" and yet to be unused not addressing it was disappointing. It probably fine from a functional perspective but it was a complaint that was not addressed nonetheless. Now that I know the cause and I can prevent it I will just lightly polish out the marks that are there and hit it with a cold blue - just sad they did not go the extra bit on this part for weapon that has yet to be fired by the customer.

And the ugly:

New barrel seemed to be really crudded up in one area so I cleaned the heck out of it with brush and patch until the patches came out pristine. But after all that it still looked bad. Upon further inspection it was very apparent why, the barrel bore had all of its initial bore and ream marks in the wall on one half of the barrel between the chamber and the gas ports; it was completely unfinished/unpolished - pretty raw. To my untrained eye, it looks like the barrel may have shifted in the tooling when the bore was being finished causing it to be off center with the tooling resulting in one side of the bore getting worked while the other went untouched (my bet is the bore is "over-bored" in this area of the barrel and is likely eccentric). This may also explain why the bore seemed off center in the barrel material at the crown and the thicker side of the crown almost seemed to have a slight lip to it (like a second pass in the machining process did not match up with the first pass).

Multiple pictures with different focal points to show the depth of the affected area:

I am truly amazed what gets through QC in manufacturing at Mossberg (or what they accept from their suppliers) - it is truly shocking to me.

Now at least Customer Service (CS) did not balk and will be sending me a second barrel ASAP but that may be a couple of weeks out as they are out of stock for the SPX barrels. The CS rep was great and took care of me as fast as he could and my wait time on hold was no more than 5 minutes. I think I really feel sorry for the CS representatives at Mossberg. If this stuff is common place they must be swimming in a sea of complaints and hear from far too many displeased customers.

Quality control in manufacturing and in their supply chain has got be out of control or completely non-existent. 3+ years into manufacturing a product line there should be no excuse by Mossberg or its suppliers for shipping product with ANY visually identifiable QC issue (which a lot of this stuff is). Had I known this earlier I would have likely spent the extra money and gotten a F&N SLP, Versamax Tactical or bucked up for a Benelli but, I had read good reviews on the 930SPX elsewhere and figured the basics of quality would be there coming from a company like Mossberg - maybe not in the minute details but in the basic sense of being solidly built and reliable.

Hopefully when I finally get a chance to run this shotgun after all this is will actually run properly - I am not sure I could deal with another 6 to 8 weeks turnaround if after break-in (with all good parts present at the get go) I run into any issues - I am quite frankly concerned about this. At the very least I can say I will not likely be purchasing another Mossberg product until threads like this are far fewer and/or see much less activity - I have been very disappointed.

Wow, that really sucks Speed.

I hate to see that you're still not good to go after all this and really hope the new barrel will be 100%. Keep us posted Sir...

Just an update. I received my shotgun, not much in the way of letters or explanations of what was done. Inside the box was a copy of a slug target, marked at 50 yards, two winchester 1600fps slugs, touching each other at 1 oclock on the bullseye, made me giggle. they adjusted the Point of aim. Next I found the packing slip, it listed a barrel assembly, 22", fiber optic sight (which are way too big), close inspection revealed, it was not my original barrel, so I got a new barrel, I have noticed that the vent rib looks slightly twisted, but it shoots very nicely. On the slip also listed, magazine tube with Boron/Nitride finish, which is a silvery hard, slick finish that my original tube did not have. When I had time, I tore the shotgun down prior to firing it like usual. Yep, new barrel, new mag tube, no more large scratch, small one made by factory, but very very small. Looked like a new gas piston setup also. No mention of the elevator, but close inspection revealed a new one. upon closer inspection, new trigger housing and trigger group, springs, etc. the pull on the trigger is up about a pound from when I sent it in, but im ok with that, I had a couple of light strikes that I did not compain about, this shoud cure that. The elevator seemed tuned nicely. upon closer inspection, I also received a new bolt assembly. They basically rebuilt my shotgun, I did get my receiver, choke tube, follower and stocks back, but that was about it. I forget the name of the little part that regulates the shells out of the mag tube, but a problem I complained about was double feeding shells onto the elevator, got that part new, problem still exists, but only when i have the chamber flag in and preload the mag tube, then try to cycle the bolt. Brownells has a how to fix this with some mild polishing, I may try that one myself. Overall the gun runs great. I have put about 100 rounds through it so far, about 35 various low base shot and am working on developing a slug load, unsucessfully so far, but have fired a ton of slugs through a new rifled choke tube, they keep key holing and I believe the cheap clay buster wads are the culprit, they come apart when i get any real amount of powder behind the 525gr slug. Anyhow, im relaxed again, that my shotgun works as it is supposed to, this is the shotgun that I payed for initially. Im not happy that I had to go through what i did to get it working the way it was supposed to, but Joe did come through for me and I am grateful. The gun runs great and im looking forward to running it hard. Thank you guys for your help.

bought a 715T in the end of Jan. 2013. Sent it to mossberg service center on Feb. 27, 2013. It is May 18, 2013 and I still dont have my little 22 rifle. Its not complicated, at least it shouldnt be for professional gun repair people, ( cant really say gunsmiths now can I?) Just wondering how they stay in business. At least I have kept several people from buying mossberg products and will continue to til I get my 715T 22 pos back.

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to see you've been waiting so long. We have a contact that might be able to help. Send Joe an e-mail with your info and a the details of your issue...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

He's helped out a lot of us here, so hopefully he'll be able to get you taken care of as well. Good luck and keep us posted...

I finally got it back yesterday, but I never got any reply from either Joe, or Norma. Only way I got any info was to call and wait on hold. Anyway, it looks good, but I still need to take it out to shoot to see if it's fixed. They also sent me an extra 10 round magazine.

Well, at least you have it back in your hands.

Pretty cool that you got an extra mag out of it. Let us know how it goes once you get out with it...

Hey guys,

So range report on my 500 Mariner...it jammed on ejection of the 3rd shell and dropped the 4th one on the ground. Banged off the last shell and threw the piece of crap back in my truck...went back to the cabin disgusted.

I can verify that new parts were installed and some effort was made to repair it. However, the note in the box stated that 20 rounds were put through with no issues. I pick it up and jams on number 3 and dumps unfired number 4 on the ground...how ironic.

I called Wholesale Sports in Langley, BC where I purchased the gun this time last year and they said "No problem, bring it in and we'll work something out."

I walked in at 2:30pm this afternoon with a broken piece of garbage and walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new 500 Mariner. So, the retailer solves the problem in one phone call and a visit to the store...can you say Mossberg looks like a severe lame duck?!?

Is anyone at Mossberg reading this?!? Your retailers are keeping you afloat!! Seriously guys, you gotta do better, much better than this. Other companies can do it...why can't you?!?

I have since sent a follow up email to Grech Outdoors, Joe Zakher and the main Mossberg CS email address expressing my deep disappointment with their company and CS methods...if you could even call it a method. I am hoping that this new SG will perform as it is intended to.

I would like to publicly commend Wholesale Sports for being a stand-up organization and in particular, Emily who manages the hunting department at the Langley store...thank you very much!!! I will continue to purchase my hunting and shooting supplies from them without hesitation.

I would encourage anyone who is having trouble and purchased their gun from a LGS to go back there and put the pressure on. Maybe the retailers need to start throwing this crap back at Mossberg too.

Damn, I really hate to see that all your waiting was for nothing.

It really makes me sick that it took so long to find out that your original 500 still wasn't repaired properly, but I am at least relieved that you have a new one to give it another go. Good to see that there are still retailers out there who take care of their customers. Be sure to let us know how this new one performs...

Back