• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Customer Service Thread...

LES, I really appreciate your support. Thanks.

I am very thankful that not all businesses are operating with the little regard Mossberg seems to show for customer satisfaction. I don't know what Grech Outdoors' affiliation is with Mossberg or how Mossberg selected their contract service providers here in Canada; but it would appear that providing sub-par service is both a corporate and contract requirement!!

I commented in the email I sent to the people mentioned in my last post^^that I belong to this forum.

So, I would invite any of them that might check out these posts, to show some courage, integrity and not be shy. Register and ante up with some decent explanations to us...their customers who keep putting money in their pockets.

But I doubt that will happen; though this is one time I hope to be proven wrong.

EDIT: for grammar

cmcdonald,

Wow.... :eek: or maybe not so wow :(

Glad to hear the retailer stood behind the product and hopefully you now have yourself a runner in that new Mariner.

I am still in a bit of shock that I had my 930 SPX returned to me after nearly 3 months with a "new" barrel that was literally rough reamed on half the circumference of the barrel between the end of the chamber and the gas ports. I would bet that if I could actually measure that area of the barrel I would find it oval shaped. There is no explanation for it other than the bore being cut on one axis and the finishing machine work being cut on another axis not in line with the first (like the barrel moved in the tooling while being worked). It would also explain why the bore at the muzzle is off-center. I did not even bother firing it as it can't possibly shoot straight.

I do hope someone at Mossberg corporate is actually reading this thread - if they are not, they are doomed to lose present and future customers based upon a growing perception of lower quality product and customer service. I am not a complainer by nature or out to flame Mossberg by any stretch. I bought Mossberg based upon the perception that I was buying a product from an American company with a heritage of producing reliable, quality products at a fair prices. That perception has be greatly altered by this experience. Nearly 4 of the 6 months I have owned it, it has been in for service or waiting parts (now waiting for a new barrel - this will be barrel # 3 as the first one was replaced for a measurable ding in the barrels crown that distorted the circumference of the muzzle). I have not even had the opportunity to actually even shoot it yet - man, it better not do what your Mariner did or I will be very upset to say the least.

It just seems like nobody is paying attention at Mossberg to what they are putting together during manufacturing or even when performing warranty repairs nor do they appear to have any incentive to do so. It looks like as long as the parts fit together to make some semblance of a weapon it ships. Not looking at the parts to actually see if they have any obvious defects before assembling them is just poor manufacturing process. It truly make me kind of sad. If it were my company I would incentify my team to look over the parts before assembly, reject junk and have the assembler's name recorded along with the serial number so when it came back for obvious defects we would know who needed some additional training or career counseling. Then I would take the junk my suppliers sent me and make them eat it financially. All of this has to cut into profits and will eventually result in lost sales due to loss of reputation and repeat business.

The customer service people have been cordial and helpful but, in the end, that does not help me as a consumer if the product I have is not right even after receiving warranty service in the shop.

Speed, I couldn't agree more and I truly feel your frustration. I seriously felt defeated this weekend and called up the retailer as a last resort. I just couldn't face having to pack up my gun again and ship it across the country. I was desperate and just tired of being jerked around.

It is plain wrong to put your customers through this crap. It is dishonest. We paid in good faith for a product that was supposed to function as advertised and clearly has not.

Like you, I did my homework prior to purchasing my Mossberg and was under the impression I was getting good value for the money. I was assured through many reviews that I was purchasing a solid, no-frills, no-nonsense shotgun.

What I got was a piece of crap. And the run around...well that was just for some extra excitement I guess. Maybe they figure I've got nothing better to do than bitch about their crappy shotgun.

So help me, if this new one even hiccups it's going back and being exchanged for an 870.

So far, no response to my email from either Mossberg or the contract service provider. A silence that I predict will not likely be broken.

However on a brighter note, Wholesale Sports followed up an email I sent to them thanking them for stellar customer service with a nice personal call from the manager. They're getting it right.

Mossberg is getting it all so wrong. It is inevitable, even with a slightly lower buy in price...they are going to lose sales as customers like me won't buy another gun from them and as word gets out potential customers will be lost to the closest competitor.

I almost refused the new 500 Mariner replacement in favor of a new Remington 870 sitting on the store gun rack for about the same price as my Mariner. If this replacement so much as hiccups or flatulates its going back in the box and straight back to the store. I will also predict that even if it performs well, it will be the first and last Mossberg I own.

Range report to follow...going Monday to test fire 30-50 rounds.

Well guys, I am sad to report that the replacement Mariner did not perform as I had hoped it would.

Took it out last night and put about 60 rounds through it...it jammed up on eject three times and the fourth time it jammed tight and I'm afraid if I pull down really hard on the slide something will break.

So I figured it was better to leave it jammed with the fired shell still inside and show the malfunction to the store. I have already called Wholesale Sports this morning and was given assurance that an equal value replacement of my choice is waiting for me at the store.

I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am. My suspicion...QC is virtually nil at the factory. They're churning out product as fast as possible to try to meet demand. What are the chances of two brand new SG's purchased a year apart both having such major functionality issues?

Given the glaring defects described by the owners on this forum it would indicate that final QC inspections by qualified and knowledgeable person(s) are not happening.

To me this is very sad, we have such a rich history of quality firearms manufacturing in North America and that a made in America product could be so defective and the manufacturer so lacking in addressing the QC and CS issues.

Sorry to hear about your trouble CMD. You can and should expect better performance that that. Any idea how you plan to move forward with Wholesale Sports?

cmcdonald said:
Well guys, I am sad to report that the replacement Mariner did not perform as I had hoped it would.

Took it out last night and put about 60 rounds through it...it jammed up on eject three times and the fourth time it jammed tight and I'm afraid if I pull down really hard on the slide something will break.

So I figured it was better to leave it jammed with the fired shell still inside and show the malfunction to the store. I have already called Wholesale Sports this morning and was given assurance that an equal value replacement of my choice is waiting for me at the store.

I can't tell you guys how disappointed I am. My suspicion...QC is virtually nil at the factory. They're churning out product as fast as possible to try to meet demand. What are the chances of two brand new SG's purchased a year apart both having such major functionality issues?

Given the glaring defects described by the owners on this forum it would indicate that final QC inspections by qualified and knowledgeable person(s) are not happening.

To me this is very sad, we have such a rich history of quality firearms manufacturing in North America and that a made in America product could be so defective and the manufacturer so lacking in addressing the QC and CS issues.

CMC - Really sorry to hear this. I am still waiting on my replacement barrel - was told two weeks and now I am about 4 days short of a month waiting. I did get my call tag within about a week to ship the bad barrel back when the new one arrives. I can only hope my outcome after all this is different than yours. So far, I have been having warranty replace what was visually and obviously wrong (barrel #1 ding in crown distoring shape of crown; barrel #2 bored and finshed incorrectly and what looks to be off center; original Choate mag tube canted and with such a huge lip where the tube was swedged into the tubes collar nut that the follower could not make the transition limiting capacity to 5 (replaced - new unit good); scratches in the magazine tube (not heavy but present) that were not addressed; oh, forgot about this but when I got it back the from service the the butt pad was half pinched into the stock and deformed - that had taken the stock off to check a possible safety mechanism issue (this did straighten back out after I took it apart and reassembled it). I have not even shot it yet and I am 6 months into my 1 year warranty. I have figured why shoot it if all the parts are not going to be the "permanent" parts - no sense doing a break-in or reliability testing and then changing parts out...

Well, to say I am nervous is an understatement. At least the retailer is willing to help you out. If in the end this purchase for me ends up being a real mistake I am guessing my retailer will likely not be the same - but one could hope. Hopefully I will not have to find out. At this point I really do feel like OFM owes me something - warranty should be there to cover unforeseen issues resulting in material or an occassional oversight in assemble. At Mossberg, warranty feels like it is part of the manuafacturing process itself :cry: There should be no excuse for this stuff.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Speed, hopefully when the third barrel arrives it will meet your expectations and you'll find functionality to be flawless. I agree, Mossberg owes you something in return for the fact that you paid full freight, yet received a defective product which has taken 6 months to resolve without even one shell being fired by you....it's really quite pathetic.

CM, as for Wholesale Sports they have been fantastic. They have earned my enduring loyalty and respect, I honestly cannot recall when I have received such outstanding customer service from a retail business.

I was given the choice today to take some better quality ammo and run another box through before deciding or swap for another gun. I was using mostly Federal Field & Range for plinking with clays. The store said they have had a significant increase in SG issues where those shells are being used. However, I also pointed out that pump SG's aren't usually too fussy on ammo and they agreed.

Apparently, the shorter aluminum base shells are causing issues with increased expansion after detonation and causing more jam ups. I don't know the math or stats on this but it would seem to make some amount of sense to me.

But given the history I have now with this issue I decided to return the Mossberg and instead swapped for a new Remington 870 Super Mag w/28" vent rib barrel and parkerized finish. I also received an in-store credit of $100 to make up the price difference. Price difference due to the parkerized finish rather than the marinecote on the Mossberg.

I have to say the 870 feels sturdier and the action cycles much smoother than the 500. I almost paid an extra $150 and would have taken home a new Benelli but my wife would have killed me. I'm already 2 guns deep this year and she'd be just a mite upset if I spent anymore money on guns this year! :lol:

Next year I will spring for a multi-purpose 20" barrel that I can interchange for plinking or camping, etc.

I wish you the best with the 870. It's funny, when I was investigating what shotgun to buy the Remington was the one that came up as having quality issues. A lot of "they aren't what they use to be" and "only care about profits now" kind of complaints. I ended up with Mossberg and am very pleased. If I had read MO's threads who knows what I would have done. I found MO a week after I picked it up.

Just because you have the 870 doesn't mean you can skip out on us!...we have a lot more at MO than Mossbergs.

carbinemike said:
Just because you have the 870 doesn't mean you can skip out on us!...we have a lot more at MO than Mossbergs.

^ My thoughts exactly!

Sucks that your Mossberg experience went the way it did, but nobody can say you didn't give it a fair shot. Glad to see you've ended up with something that makes you happy and we're lookin forward to a range report on that 870...

Thanks guys...and I'd like to stick around too! Though I'll be spending a bit more time over at RemingtonOwners.com now. :D

CM, you know what? I did my homework too before purchasing my 500. Most (95%) of the reviews I read favored the 500 or 590 as a reliable platform and having great bang for the buck. That's why I bought a Mossy in the first place. It's a real bummer that it went this way, but I'm thankful nonetheless for my new 870.

I'm really fortunate as Wholesale gave me current full market value for the 500 Mariner which is $499.00 in their stores. So I walked out with a new SG, new soft case and a $68 store credit.

Its unfortunate that there are as many negative reviews around on American made firearms as we're seeing. However, the internet has a lot to do with people reviewing products that otherwise would not be...me being one of them. So, it might appear worse than it really is...who knows just a guess.

I will likely invest in another higher quality SG down the road and that was always my plan anyway. A Browning or Benelli will likely be the order of the day. However, I'd like to add a nice 9mm or .45 ACP sidearm to the collection one day too. A good quality semi-auto or 1911 will run you $600+ here in BC, top quality will run $1000+ easily.

I was finally able to take my 715T out shooting yesterday. I put about 200 rounds through it, and had no problems. Still sad that it took so long to fix something so simple, but at least I have it now and it's working properly.

Goliath1812, pat yourself on the back...you made it through the abyss. Enjoy the 715T.

Not much action on this thread lately...a good thing I'm hoping!! :D

Ok, so long overdue range report on my 870 Super Mag replacement for the 500 Mariner.

Blew through first 100 rounds no trouble then developed a jamming and FTE issue.

(Thought I was going to lose my sh*t right then and there and my wife would have to sign me out of the loonie bin to get me home!!)

So, after regaining my composure and driving home, I read up on a few possible issues and solutions. Followed the fix for a poorly finished chamber and polished / lightly sanded the opposite side of the chamber from the extractor. Seems the chamber / breach area is poorly finished and a "bump" or slight amount of excess material left behind during manufacturing is the culprit. Causes a hang up on the opposite side to the extractor and it is heightened by using a low brass shell; actually a low-rise aluminum base field & target load.

However, this also shows the superiority of the Mossberg dual extractor system.

Only spent about 20 mins to fix it and have put nearly another 400 rounds through it without a hiccup.

That all said, I am now satisfied with my gun and confident it will work when needed. Which is the whole point after all......right?

Have not heard a breath from Mossberg or Grech Outdoors with regard to my earlier situation. So I guess my earlier prediction of silence on their part is being proven out.

Good to see you're up and running.

I guess other manufacturers are cutting corners in the QC department as well. Sucks, but seems to be the way things are going these days...

Ok, my turn for a friend. His Dad wanted a slug barrel for his shotgun. They called Mossberg and were told the barrel was in stock. They went online and ordered it. 12 days later they had no barrel. He called Mossberg and was told that it was out of stock and if they can't ship an order within a week they cancel the order. They were never notified of this and he's furious.

By what they told me, you would have to order it, check in a week if it was shipped. If it didn't ship then order it again...repeat process until you get lucky. Did anyone else ever have that happen? I find it arrogant that they cancel without notifying and at least giving the option of cancel or continue on a waiting list. Has anyone else had this happen?

Wow...it's the first I've heard of it Mike. But with all the back and forth I had with them and everyone else posting up here, I find it less than surprising.

Sorry to hear of the trouble, I hope your friend's luck turns soon. All you can do is give him the contact info we've got and hope someone will listen and jump on it for him.

Thanks CMD. I hadn't heard of this either that's why I posted it. He is mad enough to consider selling/trading the shotgun and being done with Mossberg. I don't know how they run a business with the customer service issues I read about here.

No doubt...it is mind boggling.

If he can hack it, tell him to stay on 'em like a dog on a bone. It's about the only way. Give him Joe Zakher's info and see where it goes I guess.

How long has he had the SG? Any point in going back to the retailer like I did?

I am currently on 4 months, 7 days for warranty. Here's my original post, which cmcmcdonald directed me to here, so I figured I'd share my story:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10601&p=139281#p139281

Bottom line: Spin it anyway you want to, I do not believe for one moment that things take so long to get fixed. They'll sell a product to make money. Fixing problems cost money. They want to make money instead of fixing (spending) money. Especially when they can make huge sales totals for hunting, holiday, and political climates.

Back