• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wheel GUNS!!

Now that's a good story sumoj275 !

...and a very nice 7" Peacemaker !

Thanks for sharing...

I love the looks of 'em too, but I haven't dove in yet. I'd like to have an old top-break revolver, but I don't see too many around anymore. Uberti still makes 'em, but they're awfully proud of 'em.

Everyone really liked the way these grips looked, me included.
However they did not shoot as good as they looked.
I have since changed the grips to Hogue Fancy Hardwood Grips with finger grooves.
The finger grooves make a big difference.
I also changed the front sight to a Millett white ramp type.
It makes target acquisition much faster than the stock one.
This gun is an absolute tack driver!!!

I carry the gun openly in a special rig that I had custom made.

DSCN3159-1.jpg

DSCN3166-1.jpg

I finally came across a set of factory grips for my S&W 28.
I like the factory look.
Bob

Attachments

• Model 28_2.JPG
    Model 28_2.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Model 28.JPG
    Model 28.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 425
Thanks.A deal I couldn't pass up.They look better and fit my hands much better.
Rubber is for tires.Among a few other things.
Bob

Oops! Sorry,I left 1 out.High Standard R-101 6" .22 9 shot.
I took the 2x scope off so the Mrs. could learn the basics.

Attachments

• Hi-Standard Sentinel.JPG
    Hi-Standard Sentinel.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 414
bob2231 said:
Thanks.A deal I couldn't pass up.They look better and fit my hands much better.
Rubber is for tires.Among a few other things.
Bob

Haha nice!

I have to agree. There's nothing that compares to the feel of a nice set of wood grips.

Approximate value?

Hey folks, I'm lookin into some stuff for Jenny's uncle.

He is trying to find an estimate on a handgun, and I dont know what to look for beyond retail. He wants to sell it and get a .357 auto.

What he has is a Dan Wesson .357 revolver DA, 6 shot, 6" barrel and can have barrels swapped out. Blued with checkered wood grip and it looks like new. He purchased it new in the 70's and has only put about 50 rounds through it.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!

Re: Approximate value?

Not sure on that one.

Have you checked gunbroker or gunsamerica yet? It'd be a good place to start if you want to see what they're goin for...

They are desirable. I knew someone that auctioned one for 550 with an extra barrel. I would say by your description of the condition this one is worth between 400 and 500 bucks to the right person….I bet it would bring that on Gun Broker...just to be clear with no pics, it looked like an old school double action, revolver, wood grips, interchangeable barrels sort of like a Contender but a DA revolver. They can be made very accurate and can be popular with pistol hunters

Rossignol posted:

Dan Wesson .357 revolver DA, 6 shot, 6" barrel ....
Blued checkered wood grip ...
new in the 70's and has only put about 50 rounds through it.

==============

Firearm value is determined by numerous factors. You will generally not realize full retail value when you trade with a buyer or dealer, but rather wholesale value based on what the market will bear. A collector will pay according to how much he determines he desires the firearm while a dealer will figure what he is willing to pay in order to turn the gun over and make a profit. Condition based on a grading system also helps determine value, but can be subjective. Terms like New in Box (NIB), Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor are standards. Who manufacturered the firearm also weighs in...as a Colt 1911a1 in Good condition will usually be worth more than a NIB Norinco 1911...and so on.

Every few years I pick up standard catalogs of firearm prices to use as a guide in determining the worth of my collection, but the true value of any collection is what it will fetch at auction, not what it's worth in my eyes. I know the exact price of every firearm I've purchased over the decades, and while most have gained a small percentage of value per the catalogs, timing is everything when it comes to realizing that gain in the marketplace. Our poor economy at the present time also weighs in...people tend to hold their money in hard financial times, not having the discretionary income to make purchases on non-essential items such as firearms.

If you like I can look up the price on your particular firearm, but require more info on the model # of the piece in question, as there are several variations of DW .357's, as well as a guess as to the condition using the grading system above. Pictures of both sides of the firearm would also help. Extra barrels, original box and paper work will also add to the value.

Let me know...

==============

Thanks!!! I've been meanin to get to this!

I def appreciate yall lookin out!

Shooter, what I know is he has a military style leather holster. No box or paperwork that I know of. As I recall, the ser. # was in the 4 digits. The sights are either adjustable or dovetailed. No extra barrels, just the 6". If I were grading the pistol, I'd say very good condition...

I'm tryin now to get the exact serial and model # and I'll those #'s in a PM!!! Thanks!

The adjustable sights nail it down to only two models...the M12 or M15...the first produced from 1970 to 1971, and the latter produced from 1971 to 1975.

The first interchangeable barrel pistol produced was the W12, or the Dan Wesson Model 12 which was chambered in .357 Magnum. The barrels and shrouds for this model were interchangeable and used an exposed nut on the muzzle end to secure the barrel and shroud. The shrouds on these early models had an elongated flange which helped to center the barrel and properly secure it.

Later, this design was refined into the Model 15 which still used the flanged barrel assemblies, but which had the nut recessed inside the flange in order to give the pistol a more conventionally finished look. Further refinements to the model 15 resulted in the Model 15-2 which is the most well known as well as the best selling Dan Wesson model. The 15-2 used a roll pin inserted into the frame as a centering dowel combined with a precisely drilled hole in the shroud assembly to facilitate proper shroud centering and alignment, thus eliminating the flanged barrel shrouds.

The 15-2 also introduced more barrel offerings, including lengths of 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inches, venting, ribbed shrouds, shrouds with full underlugs, and plain solid shrouds. The pistols could be ordered as "Pistol Pacs" with 3 (initially) and later 4 (or more) barrels shipped inside a fiberglass briefcase with barrel changing tool and clearance gauges; however, many pistols were sold with only one barrel, though owners could choose to purchase other barrels later.

I have to admit the wood grips do look good but I am still a fan of the black set.

Shooter, you rock! I'm waitin to hear back from Jenny's uncle. He's old USMC and retired from Ford and doesn't get around toquickly anymore unless its tosend invites tothose FaceBook games!!! :lol: But beware if you don't accept the invite you can consider yourself uninvited from ThanksGiving!

Back