• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Went in today to put a downpayment on the XD subcompact. I got the last 9mm they had. As I was leaving a guy asked if there were any left... They sold out fast. They do still have a good amount of .40's left at the same price.

Dude, thats sweet! I gotta know what you think of it, handling and feel, and the grip! Thats always been a sticking point for me...

I love my M&P .45 ACP. I have the one with the amb. safety and being left handed it is great, comes with 2 10 round clips but when I got mine they had a special with 2 extra free clips. Never had a problem with mine. For home protection you can mount a light/laser on the rail as well.

Rossignol said:
Dude, thats sweet! I gotta know what you think of it, handling and feel, and the grip! Thats always been a sticking point for me...

I'll post a review when I take it out to the range. I am still a beginner, so I do not have much to compare it to, but when I shot one last week the first thing that made me fall in love was how comfortable it was to shoot. Very smooth recoil and it fits my hand really well. I will post more with pics when I pick it up and take it out.

Good deal, Thanks!!!

Cons of grip safety?

I am wondering why it is that some people seem to dislike grip safeties so much. I think it is a good way to ensure that a gun is only fired if you intend to fire it. Obviously, the most important safety is using your brains, but I think grip safeties are great. After my fiancee fired our friend's Springfield XD last weekend she set the gun down and asked "Where is the safety?" She didn't even know she had been using it. To me, that seems perfect where you don't have to worry about fumbling for a safety in a defense situation, but you also don't have to worry about this...
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firea ... ischarges/

Re: Cons of grip safety?

The grip safety on my XD is great, The one on my 500 Bullpup, Not so much.
I have no real love hate relationship's with grip safety's, But like my P250 the only safety is the one between your ears.

As for the holster causing the pistol to fire, Just looking at the holster should tell you its wearing poorly, It looks like he had it worn for cross draw, Unless some of the pic's had been flipped.
Odd...

The one thing a grip safety won't do is replace common sense.

The situation in the artice is unfortunate but was caused by an individual neglecting to replace a holster that was worn to the point it had become unsafe, not by the firearm. I regularly carry my Glock 26 in a soft-sided IWB and have never had any safety issues. In this case with the worn holster putting pressure on the trigger, even if the gentlemen was carrying a Springfield XD with a grip safety, the weapon could have discharged as he gripped the gun to remove it from the holster. Unfortunate accidents do occur, but taking thirty seconds to inspect your equipment EACH and EVERY time you arm yourself will help ensure something like this never happens.

After all you're putting a firearm on your hip, not your car keys.

VitSports6 said:
The grip safety on my XD is great, The one on my 500 Bullpup, Not so much.
I have no real love hate relationship's with grip safety's, But like my P250 the only safety is the one between your ears.

As for the holster causing the pistol to fire, Just looking at the holster should tell you its wearing poorly, It looks like he had it worn for cross draw, Unless some of the pic's had been flipped.
Odd...

I know you are right about the holster, but to me being new to firearms it is a peace of mind to have that safety feature. It seems to me that it is a good way to have a safety without affecting performance. On the XD at least, I don't see how you can squeeze the trigger without your hand hitting the safety.

I love that the trigger is so tough on my S&W 642 and I like the grip safety on the XD. They are both simple ways of making sure that you do not have to fumble with a safety and an additional protection from an accidental discharge that will not occur if you are smart. I think it should be called a "grip insurance" rather than a safety.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The one thing a grip safety won't do is replace common sense.

The situation in the artice is unfortunate but was caused by an individual neglecting to replace a holster that was worn to the point it had become unsafe, not by the firearm. I regularly carry my Glock 26 in a soft-sided IWB and have never had any safety issues. In this case with the worn holster putting pressure on the trigger, even if the gentlemen was carrying a Springfield XD with a grip safety, the weapon could have discharged as he gripped the gun to remove it from the holster. Unfortunate accidents do occur, but taking thirty seconds to inspect your equipment EACH and EVERY time you arm yourself will help ensure something like this never happens.

After all you're putting a firearm on your hip, not your car keys.

Good points. I still think though that the grip safety doesn't get in the way at all, so I don't understand why someone would dislike it, but I could see how someone would not care either way if it was there. I am a safety freak and I check every time I pick up a gun if there is a round in the chamber, even if someone else does a check before handing it to me or I set the gun down a few minutes before and I know I didn't put anything in it, mostly because I figure this is a good habit to have. I still like the grip safety because it gives a bit of insurance without getting in the way.

Don't get me wrong,

I only meant to point out that the AD in that case seemed to be caused by neglegence, not an "evil" Glock. I'm not questioning the effectiveness of a grip safety at all. It's a great feature on the XDs and when I carry my 1911s in condition one, I like knowing that it's there.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't get me wrong,

I only meant to point out that the AD in that case seemed to be caused by neglegence, not an "evil" Glock. I'm not questioning the effectiveness of a grip safety at all. It's a great feature on the XDs and when I carry my 1911s in condition one, I like knowing that it's there.

It was actually that article that made me make sure that any holster I buy covers the trigger completely and that the gun fits in snug. Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like the gun was in tight. Hopefully when I take my first deer with my Mossy 500, I will make a leather holster and belt with the hide.

Sounds like a plan!

Be sure to post up some pics of that holster once you get it made.

My wife surprised me by brining me to a gun show. My Wife! WOW...she is a keeper for sure!!!
I knew nothing of it. It was an antique firearms and knife show. But the had a bunch of handguns. I touched them all...they did not have any Colt Defenders. Nor the CZ Compact. They did obviously have a bunch of Glocks and 1911's and their clones. I liked the Berettas they had. All 92FS. I was hoping to hold a CZ and a Defender... but they cant sell em in Mass....so they didn't have em. WOOF!

There's another show in Wallingford on April 14-15. So it's possible they might have something I can get my hands on..

That's awesome!

I haven't been to a gun show in a few years. They're hazardous to my wallet and I do enough damage just dropping into my LGS.

I’ve been to a couple within the last year but none worth going to really . Not even a good enough deal on ammo anymore to cover the door charge. I am told there are deals to be had in the closing hours of the show.

Yeah, that's the other problem with gun shows around here. Traffic is way down due to the economy, so a lot of the local dealers don't show anymore. There's really not a lot to look at anymore.

What bummed me out was there wasn't anything I drooled over there....

They had some ammo....one small tent outside and there wasn't much of anything besides 12 g and lots of 22. Ammo. They did have 7.62x54r but it was all gone. $15. For 25 in a box.

However I did pick up a Mossberg gun diagram rubber pad....the kind they have at your lgs...I'll post a pic later.

WOW, that's pretty expensive for 7.62x54r considering you can buy 440rds for around $80.

Ya....I wasn't impressed with their prices for all their stuff.

Back