• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Maverick 88 fail to fire

I'm sure they will fix you up Tom, just have some patience as it might take a couple of weeks. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Sounds like it will be an easy fix.
I say this because the Maverick is based on the 500 and they just dont quit.

Keep us updated!

Just a bit of advice here. ALWAYS clean a new firearm, completely.
Never shoot a gun straight from the box.

oli700 said:
I'm sure they will fix you up Tom, just have some patience as it might take a couple of weeks. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Yeah. I'm figuring the two way will take nearly that long to start with. I'm am anxious to get it back though, I enjoy shooting it. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

LTB45 said:
I say this because the Maverick is based on the 500 and they just dont quit.

Keep us updated!

I understand the logic, but it still bugs me to take apart something before even the first bang. If I were the vendor, and a customer told me that the product misfunctioned only after they had taken it apart, I'd be a little reluctant to honor the warranty myself.

I am hoping it'll be a quick fix. What little I have read about failures, the culprit appears to usually be the firing pin spring. I did NOT disassemble the trigger assembly nor the firing block. Took them out and cleaned them, but didn't disassemble them. The instructions were very specific about not dry firing it outside the gun, which I was careful not to do. However, I noticed that the gunshop guy DID dry fire it. Hopefully, HE didn't break anything by doing that. :? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
LTB45 said:
I say this because the Maverick is based on the 500 and they just don't quit.

Keep us updated!

I understand the logic, but it still bugs me to take apart something before even the first bang. If I were the vendor, and a customer told me that the product malfunction only after they had taken it apart, I'd be a little reluctant to honor the warranty myself.

FYI the gunk in a new gun is not grease. It is a a type of Cosmoline, a rust preventative. It really should be removed before firing and a good gun grease applied.

Dissasembly and proper cleaning and lubrication of firearms is part of regular maitenance. This is not something that would ever void any warranty. I have purchased many firearms in my life and have never fired one before a complete cleaning and lubrication.

Your guns, so do as you wish, just figured I would pass this along, and I am sure that just about everyone on this forum would agree with me about cleaning and lubricating a gun before firing.

...yeah, my 590a1 was so caked in that thick crud that I could barely move the action. It definitely needed a little TLC before the first range trip.

Either way, I always like to do a preliminary inspection, inside and out, before firing a new weapon. That way I can be confident that everything is in good working order and it's safe to fire. If a weapon malfunctions after disassembly and cleaning according to the manufacturer's included instructions, it is unlikely that any warranty would be compromised. The only time you would run into that issue is if you get creative and start breaking the weapon down further than is recommended by the manufacturer.

I hope they get you fixed up soon. Keep us posted...

I definitely welcome the expertise. It's one of the reasons I joined up. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Maverick 88 fail to fire

I just picked up my new 590 today, I plan on doing a thorough clean & lube , but have a question:
Should I soak the bolt in solvent or will this hurt any internal lubrication. I don't want to go overboard, but I want to get all the cosmolene out.

brnd72 said:
I just picked up my new 590 today, I plan on doing a thorough clean & lube , but have a question:
Should I soak the bolt in solvent or will this hurt any internal lubrication. I don't want to go overboard, but I want to get all the cosmolene out.

On my 500's (Dont own a 590) I always soak the bolt in a jar of Hoppes #9. Then relube with a little CLP.

all of the new firearms I have bought, I clean with breakfree powder blast first. the steel will be dry when your done. Now you can relube. different guns get different lube. My bolt guns get very little, my AR is run wet. My carry pistol gets grease

Oooooh, I love BreakFree Powder Blast. That stuff gets my gear squeaky clean...

Called the gunstore today. No word from Mossberg yet. :cry: I'm having separation anxiety. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
Called the gunstore today. No word from Mossberg yet. :cry: I'm having separation anxiety. Take care. Tom Worthington.
have you called mossberg to find out if the gun shop even sent the gun in??

Fronty Owner said:
Tom396 said:

No. I did want to let the gun shop have a chance to make it right without my interference. I suppose I could call anyway, but I don't even know what to tell them to look for? My specific gun's serial number maybe? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
Fronty Owner said:
Tom396 said:

No. I did want to let the gun shop have a chance to make it right without my interference. I suppose I could call anyway, but I don't even know what to tell them to look for? My specific gun's serial number maybe? Take care. Tom Worthington.
serial number would be the way to go.
Just tell them whats going on and your serial number, they should be able to look it up by the dealers name and confirm it with the serial number.

Called Mossberg this afternoon. Spoke to Erica. All she needed was the serial number. She was only able to tell me that no technician had been assigned to the ticket. She couldn't tell me if the gun had arrived yet. Ah well. Patience, patience... :) (It really is killing me though) :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

I know the wait is tough.

Hang in there Sir, I'm sure they'll have it back to you in no time...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I know the wait is tough.

Hang in there Sir, I'm sure they'll have it back to you in no time...

Thanks. Hopefully, I'll be able to hang on til actual withdrawl pangs set in. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

Back