• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Mosin Nagant?

No problem,

If they have one that's matched, bonus. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll still end up with one helluva rifle...

I picked up the rifle, pics are on the way. It was made in 1938 and the numbers do match. They are numbered 937.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Kinda late to the party here but numbers matching may not be true numbers matching as some mosin are force matched. For example the bolt may have been lost at some point so the take another bolt grind it and re stamp the numbers so they match that gun.

DroidX Tapatalk

Do all the guns from this time have a tiny hammer and sickle on them? Near the spot for the sling, there is a tiny hammer and sickle that is slightly worn down. I tried to get a pic of it, but it was too small.

You've got yourself a "Tula".

The Star/Arrow on the receiver is the mark of the Russian Tula arsenal.

honkey said:
Do all the guns from this time have a tiny hammer and sickle on them? Near the spot for the sling, there is a tiny hammer and sickle that is slightly worn down. I tried to get a pic of it, but it was too small.

Is the hammer & sickle carved into the stock?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You've got yourself a "Tula".

The Star/Arrow on the receiver is the mark of the Russian Tula arsenal.

honkey said:

Is the hammer & sickle carved into the stock?

Yeah, it looks like some kind of press was used to do it, but that the bottom half of the circle is worn off.

The stocks were marked with a cartouch, a "proofmark" of sorts.

Here are a couple likely examples:

Tula "Hammer" cartouche

CCCP cartouche

PCFCP cartouche

Man...that's one good looking rifle! Great pick honkey!

If this go as planned, I'll be shootin a Mosin for the first time tomorrow!

Doesnt mean I'll be joinin the club... just gonna get my feet wet! :D

what? you don't have an extra $100 floating around in your couch?

Well fellas...

I dont have an extra $100 in change in my pockets or couch cushions. I dunno, we'll see how it goes! Maybe it will make the list!!! :D

Rossignol said:
Well fellas...

I dont have an extra $100 in change in my pockets or couch cushions. I dunno, we'll see how it goes! Maybe it will make the list!!! :D

I want to hear how it goes so I can have realistic eectations whe. I shoot mine next weekend!

Well, we got to fire it! I like it, but Allison not so much!!! I told her it didnt recoil badly and that it was no worse than full power 12 ga. loads! After she fired (once) she looked at me and her expression said "You Lie!" :lol:

Ok, so the metal buttplate makes it a little rougher than my plush Hogue stocks, but it wasnt all that bad... It recoils, and its heavier than an AR for sure, but not unmanagable! We shot it benched on a pack.

I fired one round, saw how I needed to correct, and put my second shot on the bull! It fired reasonably flat at shorter ranges, but once we pushed it out to 80 yards, it seemed to be rather low and we couldnt run the rear iron down any further. Anyone else come across this?

Well, none of us hit the 80 yard clays with the Mosin! :lol: but we did with the AR! With Irons! :D

Its a rifle I could def see owning for $100. It isnt at all a bad rifle and with a little practice it can be an excellent and accurate shooter! Ammo isnt too awful expensive either. The surplus ammo is about the same price, if not a little better, than Federal XM193 5.56.

I'm gonna be goin to a place in april thats like an outdoor flea market, only with anything and everything! For real, everything! I'm told there are always firearms available and I figure if I can find one on the low low, maybe I'll get one.

Back