1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Bolt Action Rifles

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by DaveinCT, Nov 2, 2010.

1. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Great lookin rifle Sir...
  2. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Thanks, fellas!
  3. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Question,
    Is it normal for bolt actions to chew up brass? Working the bolt on my 700 AAC scratches the heck out of the case and bullet. It seems alot of the damage comes from the receiver rails.
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

That's definitely not normal.

You sure the brass isn't get'n scratched on its way outta the mag? Can you post any pics?
  5. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

still, the mag shouldnt really scratch either....strange. I bet your right though LES
  6. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

It is happening when the round is stripped out of the mag. I will try to get pics tomorrow.
  7. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

Just wondering if this might have been over looked... are there any burrs on the inside of the magazine? My Stevens 200 .308 did that and there was a burr right on the very end of the ramp.
  8. LAZY EYED SNIPER

It's not uncommon to see the feed lips scratch casings in new rifles due to new springs putting excessive upward tension on the rounds. This shouldn't be causing any damage the the bullet though...
  9. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

It looks like the case head is what is damaging the bullet. Not scratches persay, more like drag marks where the casehead "skidded" across the bullet.
    The scratches in the cases themselves vary in depth, some you cannot feel, some you can catch a fingernail on.
    [​IMG]
  10. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

huh, stout mag spring ?.....man I need to cut my nails so bad lol
  11. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Lol! I chew on 'em like a beaver chews on a tree! :D
  12. BenSamp

BenSamp .270 WIN

[​IMG]Just put this together, Savage 11VT
    1. Weaver tactical scope
    2. Weaver 30mm tactical scope rings
    3. Weaver 20moa tactical mount
    4. Choate tactical stock
    5. Harris 6"-9" bipod
  13. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Good lookin rifle Ben.

How does she print?
  14. BenSamp

BenSamp .270 WIN

Thanks LES, the stock came in yesterday and I setup everything last night, I sold my FN-FAL last year before all of the B.S. went down. I have 800rnds of 147gr nato surplus, I'll buy some match grade ammo this week to see how well she shoots, the range I go to only goes out to 400 yrds. I will range the distance at my ex-wife's grandparents farm they have 1k plus acres 200 tilled the rest wooded. It's not in use anymore, the house is about 200 yards off the road and the house sits about 5-6 hundred yards from the wood line.
  15. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Sweet!

I'd love to have some land where I could shoot that kind of distance...
  16. BenSamp

BenSamp .270 WIN

The only reason I get access is my ex and I have a 17 yr old son who loves to shoot and hunt, and her grandmother and mother treats me like I'm still married to her. I just got lucky on that deal
  17. cockedNlocked

cockedNlocked Product Review Manager Staff Member Global Moderator

Remington 700 AAC-SD
    Manners T4A with Mini Chassis w/ Badger DBM
    EGW 20MOA base
    EGW HD Low 30mm Rings
    SWFA SS 5x20x50 HD
    PWS Brake
    Badger Bolt Knob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Great lookin rifle!

How's she print'n for you?
  19. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

WOW!!!! :shock:
    Beautiful Rifle!
  20. cockedNlocked

cockedNlocked Product Review Manager Staff Member Global Moderator

havent shot it yet with the new stock, but before my best group was .492 with the stock Hogue overmolded stock benchrested with front and rear sandbags at 100 yards