• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Question,
Is it normal for bolt actions to chew up brass? Working the bolt on my 700 AAC scratches the heck out of the case and bullet. It seems alot of the damage comes from the receiver rails.

That's definitely not normal.

You sure the brass isn't get'n scratched on its way outta the mag? Can you post any pics?

still, the mag shouldnt really scratch either....strange. I bet your right though LES

Just wondering if this might have been over looked... are there any burrs on the inside of the magazine? My Stevens 200 .308 did that and there was a burr right on the very end of the ramp.

tcecil88 said:
It is happening when the round is stripped out of the mag. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

It's not uncommon to see the feed lips scratch casings in new rifles due to new springs putting excessive upward tension on the rounds. This shouldn't be causing any damage the the bullet though...

It looks like the case head is what is damaging the bullet. Not scratches persay, more like drag marks where the casehead "skidded" across the bullet.
The scratches in the cases themselves vary in depth, some you cannot feel, some you can catch a fingernail on.
IMG_20130316_100241_971_zpsc7ab2a1b.jpg

9278154868_aef5fa059f_b.jpg
Just put this together, Savage 11VT
1. Weaver tactical scope
2. Weaver 30mm tactical scope rings
3. Weaver 20moa tactical mount
4. Choate tactical stock
5. Harris 6"-9" bipod

Thanks LES, the stock came in yesterday and I setup everything last night, I sold my FN-FAL last year before all of the B.S. went down. I have 800rnds of 147gr nato surplus, I'll buy some match grade ammo this week to see how well she shoots, the range I go to only goes out to 400 yrds. I will range the distance at my ex-wife's grandparents farm they have 1k plus acres 200 tilled the rest wooded. It's not in use anymore, the house is about 200 yards off the road and the house sits about 5-6 hundred yards from the wood line.

The only reason I get access is my ex and I have a 17 yr old son who loves to shoot and hunt, and her grandmother and mother treats me like I'm still married to her. I just got lucky on that deal

Remington 700 AAC-SD
Manners T4A with Mini Chassis w/ Badger DBM
EGW 20MOA base
EGW HD Low 30mm Rings
SWFA SS 5x20x50 HD
PWS Brake
Badger Bolt Knob

havent shot it yet with the new stock, but before my best group was .492 with the stock Hogue overmolded stock benchrested with front and rear sandbags at 100 yards

Back