• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CMP Special Grade

I was surprised that it was in the orange for the first shots out of the box. That's fantastic. A few more rounds down range tweaking the sights and it'll be exactly where you want it, though in all honesty, it's good enough for defense or putting meat on the table now.

it was hitting orange a little bit but it was a bit high as you can see on the blue taped marks... but I think it was due to where I was holding it on the target honestly. I was adjusting my hold because it was difficult for me to get a good sight picture with the irons on the orange dot at 100 yards and where I should hold it (been a while since I used irons on my long gun that far). So the first picture I showed was me finalizing my hold on the rifle and then assessing where it's shooting.

That's a round about way to say... yes out of the box with 8 clicks up I was hitting a 6 inch circle ;)

Shooting a 6 inch target with an unfamiliar (and by all intents and purposes; a new) gun with iron sights at 100 yards straight out of the box = a good gun, and good shooter.

That's the main reason to spend time behind the trigger of any gun is to familiarize yourself with all the intrinsic details and nuances of it.

Very few people I know can pick up a new gun and shoot bullseyes with it on the first few shots. That takes time.

So what. You had to adjust the sights a little, but that's what you were supposed to be doing to fit YOU.

The end result is you were placing bullets in the zone, and that's ultimately the end goal. Nothing to drop your head for in my opinion.

Shooting a 6 inch target with an unfamiliar (and by all intents and purposes; a new) gun with iron sights at 100 yards straight out of the box = a good gun, and good shooter.

That's the main reason to spend time behind the trigger of any gun is to familiarize yourself with all the intrinsic details and nuances of it.

Very few people I know can pick up a new gun and shoot bullseyes with it on the first few shots. That takes time.

So what. You had to adjust the sights a little, but that's what you were supposed to be doing to fit YOU.

The end result is you were placing bullets in the zone, and that's ultimately the end goal. Nothing to drop your head for in my opinion.
Thank you sir! Wished I had more time at the range but I spent the first part helping someone iron out their handgun shooting and tightening up their groups... hit the range at 1230PM to find every hunter on the island hogging up the benches. So I only had 5 cease fires to put groups down the range... wished I had all day I would have finalized it.

Great job WM !!! I can see the smile from here.:)

Smiling yes... but my shoulder was a bit sore after about 70ish rounds. Once I have this nailed down I'm going to place a 10" gong at 200 yards and see if I can ring it :)

Nitesite... I did the calculations and can you believe it's not worth it for me to buy surplus from CMP?!!! Check this shiznit out:

Two 240 round ammo box of CMP surplus = $300 (150 ea) + $40 (20 ea) shipping + FFL Transfer Fee $30 (15 per box) = $370 for 480 rounds

one box of 500 Prvi Partizan from LGS = $359.99 x 8.625% = $391

Price per round CMP = .77 per

Price per round LGS = .78 per

WM~

I have had really great shooting results with Prvi Partisan modern .308 ammo. Good stuph!!!

WM~

I have had really great shooting results with Prvi Partisan modern .308 ammo. Good stuph!!!
yeah that's what I'm using to sight in. Taking off next week so hopefully I get a decent day to sneak out to the range between Monday and Wednesday to finalize my zero. Good news is I will be receiving another bonus for increased revenue to the firm next year (my client needs more work and is willing to pay more fees) so that will go towards some extra goodies for the Garand project.

Nitesite... I did the calculations and can you believe it's not worth it for me to buy surplus from CMP?!!! Check this shiznit out:

Two 240 round ammo box of CMP surplus = $300 (150 ea) + $40 (20 ea) shipping + FFL Transfer Fee $30 (15 per box) = $370 for 480 rounds

one box of 500 Prvi Partizan from LGS = $359.99 x 8.625% = $391

Price per round CMP = .77 per

Price per round LGS = .78 per

A transfer fee for AMMO!?!?! What kind of Commie BS is that!?! You must live in a blue state.

I'm sure you know, but you have to be careful using modern 30-06 in a Garand. The pressure curve can be bad news for the op rod. Federal American Eagle makes some 30-06 that says for M1 Garand use right on the box.

OR I think you could use an adjustable gas plug, but I'm not terribly familiar with them.

dude... it just started and it was placed upon us in the dead of night under "suspicious" terms of "emergency". The bill was passed without being read and this provision along with others are being challenged in appellate court to be heard in December 2014.... I'm on a 5 year plan to bail on this pos commie state.

As far as ammo yes I'm aware of the specifics on the ammo use. Actually, based on an very detailed review of modern ammo, it was determined that most modern ammo is well within specs for the M1 Garand. However, it is still recommended to get a gas plug JIC of unannounced powder changes/fill by the manufacturers.

The Cumo's the Clinton's can take this state and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Watch the new crew in NYC,,,,DiBlassio and the Sharpton crew.:rolleyes:

,,,,,I almost forgot the Ballone crew from right here.

in the plans... Still trying to sell Tennessee to the wife. Not sure why she's against it... not like she's paying for it... ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh You tell her that I'll deny it with a straight face.

Back