• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Holsters, We have them! ***Photo Thread***

Last night I purchased the Gould and Goodrich 801 Yaqui Slide Holster.

http://gouldusa.com/products/showModel.php?bare_page=1&id_main=12&line=gold

I like it because the same holster is rated for both the glock 19 and beretta 92f (aka M9). This one can pull double duty for me.

I do have a question for @AlwaysArmed . Does the retention canopy, as they call it, get in the way at all? I like kydex holsters, and my current m9 holster is a nice kydex paddle holster. I'm not sure it'll work for this use, but I'm gonna look more into it, because can you really have too many holsters?

In this case, I plan to wear it with my uniform, so I can use it at work when I draw the m9, and can holster up as soon as I get home.

I was going through my close calls and security issues just over the last decade and I realized I've been on the wrong end of a credible threat 8 times since '04. And that's just at home! Forcible entry attempts, armed robbery, drive by shootings, I'm not safe at home.

If a knock comes at the door and it's a guy who wants in, will I have time to get my gun from my closet between when I realize he is up to no good and when he tries to make entry? Having the gun on you at home makes sense.

I think I will change my signature... Brings to mind a quote.

@LAZY EYED SNIPER isn't safariland the company who made up the so-called level system for holsters? I understand that in order to promote a holster they made uP the term "level 3 holster". Is that innovation or a marketing ploy?

I do have a question for @AlwaysArmed . Does the retention canopy, as they call it, get in the way at all? I like kydex holsters, and my current m9 holster is a nice kydex paddle holster. I'm not sure it'll work for this use, but I'm gonna look more into it, because can you really have too many holsters?

not sure what you mean by in the way. i've only had a few days of training with it but so far it hasn't been in the way for me in any way. the canopy or hood has about 1/2" of clearance to the back of my glock, so no issues with weapon clearance. it folds forward hugging fairly close to the main holster body so it doesn't present any issues when dropped. i run the duty belt slide which, with the rti wheel, gives it a drop and slight cant or offset off of the hip. unless i'm training from iwb i almost always tuck in my shirt so i haven't had any issues with clearance to clothing but the hood hinge is enclosed in kydex with no sharp edges and the hardware is all countersunk so i'd be willing to bet that even with an untucked shirt bunched up between the top of the holster and belt the only interference you may run into is hitting the thumb drive hood release.

only issue i've found so far is something that has been easy to commit to muscle memory. i found that i needed to perform 2 separate motions, first hit the thumb drive to release the hood and then draw the weapon. if you tried it in reverse or at the same time there is a tendency for the rear of my glock to hold the hood in the closed position. after a few days of draw practice it's not an issue and my speed is back up to the point that it doesn't even look like 2 separate motions. i don't believe this is an issue specifically with g-code, but any holster of this style and possibly only a big issue with weapons like glocks that have a squared slide profile. the hood is rounded so if you have a weapon where the rear of the slide is rounded you may not have this issue at all or it may be lessened giving you more room for error during the draw.

lol no, you can never have too many holsters! the nice thing about the g-code products is if you go with their rti mounting system you can purchase separate holsters for different weapons and with the press of one lock you can release one holstered weapon from your belt slide and attach and lock in a completely different one. so you could switch easily from duty to home carry.

hope this answered your question!

@LAZY EYED SNIPER isn't safariland the company who made up the so-called level system for holsters? I understand that in order to promote a holster they made uP the term "level 3 holster". Is that innovation or a marketing ploy?

i had heard something along those lines but i don't know if it's true or not. my guess is it may have been a bit of both but eventually retention levels would have been implemented anyway, in my opinion. as regulating bodies (security, leo, military, etc.) found faults with equipment through accidents, personnel complaints, and security issues like sidearms being taken by force, they would have needed some way of defining requirements for holsters used for duty use. i'd venture to say that retention levels were likely a result of necessity from the end users, even if they didn't know they needed it until it was marketed.

Safariland acquired Rogers Holster Company back in the 80's who already classified their holsters according to a 3 level security rating. Safariland simply standardized the testing process and began marketing their holsters according to the rating level. Each level indicates not only the number of "actions" which are required by the user to remove the weapon from the holster, but to pass each consecutive level test the firearm must not be able to be removed by another idividual in a "weapon grab" scenario with the preceding level security feature disabled.

The level system is used by multiple manufacturers these days. I can't speak to its credence among those in law enforcement or military, but it seems to be a pretty viable method for evaluating holster security...

with all the safariland love i remembered that gcode also makes kits to mount their rti system to safariland hosters if you wanted to go that route. just a heads up.

It shipped today! My first holster purchase. I acquired or received every other one. Someone hear a cherry popping?

So I've given it a shot. It's the Gould & Goodrich model 801-92F. It's a Yaqui style holster, in tan leather. As you can see, it covers the trigger well on my Glock 19, and it has quite a good grip on the gun, boasting tension adjustment.

I like it. The draw is smooth. Bolstering is a bit tougher but I imagine it'll get easier as I break it in. It's got a belt keeper on the back and fits my 2" work belt.

The best part is it holds my M9 at work too.

image.jpg image.jpg

not a holster but related. thought you guys would like it.

suhetumy.jpg

all condor, on a budget lol
molle ops chest rig
triple kangaroo pouch (3 AR mags & 3 glock mags, even with my arredondo base pads)
emt lite tear away ifak pouch
and an ipouch which will probably be replaced with something slightly bigger since my iphone5 doesn't fit with the lifeproof case on :(

I was sold on a Milt Sparks but I could not justify (or afford) the $100+ cost. Crossbreed SuperTuck was next in-line but $70+ and a long wait time wasn't too appealing. The cheaper brands did not look like good quality to me.

Saw a banner for Alien Gear while browsing Armslist and actually clicked on it. Just showed up a few days ago (took exactly 28 days to arrive), and I have been wearing off & on all week. I am still breaking it in, but so far I love it! Very comfortable, barely noticeable - even with a full-size 4.5" XDm. Still waiting on my Jones Tactical EDB, but it has held fine with my regular woven belt.

Seriously nice for under $40! I would highly recommend them to anyone.
  • Great quality (thick) leather
  • Thick molded Kydex
  • Incl. Extra parts and swappable components
  • Versatile mounting options and adjustments (tilt, ride height, retention /"tightness")
  • Low cost
  • 30-Day Buy-Back Guarantee
  • Free kydex shell Trade-Ins for life (if you purchase a different handgun)
  • Lifetime Warranty on all parts (incl. clips/hardware)
  • Swappable shells for different models
  • Cheesy name, but who cares
    alien.gif
IMG_20140614_000012.jpg

IMG_20140614_000134.jpg

IMG_20140613_235418.jpg

IMG_20140613_235439.jpg

This is with my full-size 4.5" XDm9 @ 4:00. Not exactly the most compact CC, but barely noticeable with a semi-loose T-Shirt.
IMG_20140613_235817.jpg

Here's my standard XDm OWB holster and mag-holster (the side rails are a nice touch on this)
IMG_20140613_235541.jpg

Loving the AG so far...can't say anything bad about it. :)

@LAZY EYED SNIPER

No problem man, I like to share my opinion when it's relevant. Alien Gear is still a new contender to the 'Holster Game' but they are quickly gaining a great reputation, and for good reason.

I have also read that Alien Gear was been started by the owner of Old Faithful holsters (Thomas Tedder). I can't personally confirm this, but their design and price-point similarities are uncanny. I would think that is a big conflict of interest for OFH, but I can't complain b/c I love the AG holster :)

Speak of the devil...as I mentioned above AG and OFH are nearly identical. I just received an email from Alien Gear stating that the two companies are now merging together, but maintaining the separate names. :confused:

I favor clip and paddle holsters as I typically have to disarm on any given day and doing so in the car at or approaching (as in pull over) is the best use of time.

Some folks equate paddle holsters with Fobus or uncle Mike's (AND they both make a wide spectrum of types of products) - believe me high and tight carry paddle holsters ARE available:

This is by Blade Tech. The SR40c has 9+1, the backup mag is a 15.

Kahr makes 8 round mags (as well as the standard 7 round single stack) - the older Don hume STILL has enough rigidity for easy IWB re-holstering and it comes off with one hand once you know the move!

The Comp Tac holds my Glock 22 and 34 (pictured here) I use it in competition and generally only carry my full size Glocks in the winter. The 34 with a mag extension can be carried 20 +1 BUT the extended mags typically go in the mag holder.

Fobus, yes but tight to the body and great retention when matched properly to the mag!

I like passive retention Kydex just fine when well done!!

Good lookin rigs mingaa...
I still do a good bit of pocket holster carry and pocket a mag - especially in summer with cargo shorts but about a year ago I started wanting some more firepower and the draw-from-holster.

Single stack 9s are a staple but as much as I practice I can still shoot a larger framed gun better - quicker and more accurately. The Ruger is a recent addition - more firepower. Watch Hickock45s video review of it. He says more than once "I can't believe this is only a 3.5" barrel" then rings his 100 yard gong with it at will! :cool:

Back