• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Magazine Tubes

Re: Magazaine Tube Plug Included?

Gunner! YES! Our is the same way, and even the hunting properties overlap so we just kept the plugs in the whole time.

Oh Yeah!
Better safe than sorry, I know my luck, when it comes to gray areas. It's not good! So if I'm going to make a mistake, it'll be on the side of caution!

Recently been checking up on Upland game reserves. Spendy? yes! but still and all they do have their benifits, like hunting from October 1st until April 15th. I dunno, still doing some research on the matter, but it's looking like I'll have to get some folks together and save up my nickles and dimes. Betcha I won't need a plug!

I took my dog to a preserve last year for some training. Nice place and very reasonably priced. It was really far away though!

When it comes to hunting and my licensing, I error to the side of caution too! ;)

Rossignol,
Thats awsome!
I've sent out some feelers and have gotten a few replies back. I didn't realize how many preserves there were in the eastern Oregon western Idaho area, and sadly this time of year most are booked up.

I ran into that this year (or season) with the place bein booked. Didnt make it out there at all...

We ended up hunting a couple of nice public places... till I broke my foot at work. Today is actually the last day of the season but we havent been hunting the last 4 weeks.

Gunner said:
Fronty Owner said:
Also wouldn't hurt to double check the length.

Local game warden worked on a guys 935 for 30 minutes because he "just knew" he could cram a third round in the magazine. it was close, but wouldn't go.
You shouldn't have that problem with the 500, but it doesn't hurt to check, especially if you dont use 3".

I occasionally hunt a WMA and the season for upland game and waterfowl overlap. Water fowl reuires a pug and steel/notox shot, while upland game doesn't. Talk about thing that can get sketchy real quick. I just run with the plug and leave the duck alone but still it is up to the disgression of the GW as to what you are hunting or not.
The only place I shoot that doesn't require a plug is at the range. I dont really care if I have 2+1 or 5+1, just give me opportunity to practice feeding the thing for dove season.

All my 500's have HOMEMADE plugs in them.
Save the time, effort and money buying a dowel and o-rings!
I use FREE Chopsticks!
I also wrap a little Duct Tape on them to lessen the rattle.

:cool:

Free chopsticks! Even better!

LTB45
Now thats what I call creative recycling!

Speaking of being creative, I have some arrow shafts that have seen better days, supose I could trim one up for a plug. Always liked the smell of port orford cedar.

Gunner said:
LTB45
Now thats what I call creative recycling!

Speaking of being creative, I have some arrow shafts that have seen better days, supose I could trim one up for a plug. Always liked the smell of port orford cedar.
you may have to trim it down some, the 500 doesn't have much of an opening in the end of the magazine tube.

Re: magazine tube replacement

John A. said:
You'd basically need something like this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... HOTGUN_KIT

p_078000162_2.jpg

I considered it for a brief minute, until I remembered that as long as you have extra bullets and a spare hand, the existing 6 round tube will never run dry ;)
I got this assembly and it took 5 minutes to install, works like a charm :mrgreen: I now have 7 different barrels for my Mossy 500, no need to buy other guns. :ugeek:

Magazine Plug

Can someone please help me out? I bought a Mossberg 500 used from a guy and it doesn't have a plug in it , what I need to know is the dia. and length of the rod I know it's a wooden dowel.
Thanks
Headnut

Re: Magazine Plug

What I did with mine was to go to the hardware store here locally and bought a 1/4" dowel rod. I think it was 3 or 4' long and was about .79 cents.

I loaded 2 shells into the magazine, stuck the rod down through the top and then marked it. I cut it just below my line to allow for the magazine lug and then just a little more to be certain it wasnt gonna be a super tight fit to get two shells in, then put it all together and checked it.

You can use 3" shells if you want just be certain of havin enough room if you ever wanna go that route. But def check and make sure you cant get three 2 3/4" shells. And if for some reson you make it too short, you should have plenty of dowel left! :D

Thanks Rossignol
That's what I'll do I didn't know what dia. rod to get.
Thanks again.

The one that came out of mine was 1/4"wooden dowel, but it had 2 rubber o-rings on it as well. The outside diameter of the o ring was .394.

It was 9 inches long.

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention that mine is a 12 gauge. I'm sure 16, 20, and 410 are all different lengths.

Thanks for the help people, I got the plug made and the red dot put back under the safety.
Ready to go shoot now.

Back