• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show Us Your Truck!

I love the look of the truck, but I worry about reliability. Have y'all had any issues with it? My 2006 Ridgeline has almost 300,000 miles on it and my oldest is eyeballing it for his first vehicle.

Thankfully no issues yet, but we've only had them a week or so...

@MikeT How do you like the Ridgeline? My 08 CRV has close to 280K miles on it and so far the only thing to fail is the AC a few years back. It's been the lowest cost of ownership of any vehicle I've ever owned. I've looked at the Ridgeline and hoped it was just as reliable.

I have owned the big three truck brands. All went terminal before 80,000 miles. The Ridgeline (Mine is a 2006 RTL) is by far the best bad weather vehicle and best handling truck I have ever owned and driven. I have not been easy on my Ridgeline. It's been over Engineers Pass in Colorado now four times. I have been up and down various trail (Names forgotten now), the only issues are ground clearance and no low range gearing. It has just under 300,000 miles and it's 10 years old. My plan is to buy the second generation Ridgeline if it appeals as much as the first gen. My current thinking is to have my 17 year old take over the current Ridgeline and me purchase either the 2nd gen or another vehicle type.

Put a Rampage Products sport rack in the back of the Jeep...

It adds a second level to haul more gear, but the primary goal was to find something that covers anything I carry underneath. Simple, no drill installation using he factory rear seat bolts and roll bar clamps. It has a latch closure and pivots up on a gas shock to hold it up out of the way when unloading. Oh, and as a bonus I was able to add a little something underneath...

OK, so I'm discovering that these Jeeps are essentially the AR-15 of the vehicle world.

There are more aftermarket upgrade and accessory options made for the Wrangler than for any firearm I own. It's really easy to get caught up in all kinds of "I need that". Aside from the rack I posted above I've also switched the lug nuts to black to match the rims with a locker on all four wheels plus the spare...

Before

After

...and installed some grill inserts this afternoon...

Before

After

The hole in the center insert is for the MOPAR hood latch lock that is on the list of parts to order. It codes to the ignition key, so there won't be any extra key to carry around. Also ordered a hitch mounted cargo rack for hauling mulch and other crap I don't want to carry inside. Just like an AR, almost everything is modular and requires no permanent modification for install. They make it too easy...

We've had a lot of rain and crappy weather, but I was finally able to go topless...

Replaced the interior torx screws with quick turn knobs that make removal of the top a lot easier. Next step is to get the doors off too...

How my truck looks now. If you look behind it closely you can see the small tree I ripped out of the ground with it.

IMG_1187.JPG

Installed a Strattec 'BOLT' hood latch lock on the Wrangler this morning...

The lock codes to the factory ignition key, so there's no need to carry or keep track of any additional keys. It sits just inside an opening in the center grille insert...

It has a steel shutter and a rubber cover that keep bugs and road debris out of the lock...

For anyone unfamiliar with the Wrangler hood, there's no hood release mechanism inside under the dash like in most vehicles. The two rubber latches on either side of the hood exterior are the only thing securing the hood. Anyone could open the hood in a parking lot and take the battery or whatever else they had a mind to remove. Not that the likelihood of that happening is high, but having a keyed latch lock provides a little peace of mind. MOPAR makes one that codes to factory ignition keys that sells for $170, but this nearly identical BOLT version sells for $55. Took about ten minutes to install including removing/replacing the grille and securing the lock with the provided 1/4" rivets. Only downside is that I had to buy a hand riveter that could handle the 1/4" rivets. Found one on Amazon for $20 shipped, so no too bad. Very satisfied with the lock and am now on to finding the next project...

Next project for LES.
Winch
Baja designs led light bar up front and lights for rear
King shocks
Licorice dispenser in dash
2 way long range radio, 100 watt
Side extendable canopy
Tint Windows
Spinner wheels like the brothers
Small chain steering wheel like in chech and chong
Arb fridge in cab
Install 8 track player
Curb feelers
Install pine tree air freshener

That's all I got for right now.

We got another break from the rain today, so I was able to do a little runnin around with the doors off...

This is my kind of air conditioning...

Back