• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: My new build

Lookin good man, glad to hear y'all made it through sandy ok!

I was thinkin on the Hogue, if its still too short, you can add the Limbsaver slip on recoil pad I hear. That should make your LOP about 13".

I will be going to the range this weekend and post an update. I have modded the factory stock to 13" LOP just in case.

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I think I might paint the original synthetic forend as well... I like options! Does anyone else have a slew of different stocks and forends for their mossies? I feel like i'm playing dress up with my guns :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, that paint technique would be cool on gear and stuff too.

Sorry, no extra stocks layin around...

Besides what is sitting on my guns now, I do have a stock and forend for my 12 ga's that I sanded and stained a Dark Walnut and did the checkering in Black ink from a sharpie marker.
I then satin cleared them.
I really like the way it came out.
It goes on occasionally.

I've got a wood set that's heading my way now... I was bidding on a police style forend on ebay...but I have a feeling that there were one or two other MO members that were bidding on the same thing. I think it ended up going for $65..just the forend. I've also seen previous police style wood sets go for $250 :shock: for that price I could widdle my own :D

I would just about give my left index finger for a set of wood LE styled furniture. I would actually do that before payin $250.

I LOVE the Barrel and Tube! I wish I would have gotten the conversion kit when it was available!
Awesome gun and great setup! Let us know how you like the sight after a range trip or two

Wow, that is truly a beastly looking weapon! Great Color choices! Even Better Paint Job!

I can't say I enjoy the LE Sets... maybe it is just me :p
Nostalgia would be a selling point though if it had a story behind... legit story told from the guy who served in Blue with it!

Put the setup through it paces today. About 200 rounds down range and all went well. It did take a few times to be hit the nose to realize that I can't wrap my thumb with the 12" LOP. The sight worked very well and is a huge improvement over the stock bead. And what else can be said about the Hogue stock and forend, money well spent. I did swap in the 13" LOP modded stock, but found the Hogue to feel better.
I and please with the out come.

Good to see the Hogue is workin out for you.

I think we've all been cracked in the nose one or twice. I tend to rest my thumb along the outside edge of the receiver just to the right of the safety. Gives me quick access to the safely button and keeps my nose from get'n banged up...

dave67 said:
DSC_0969.jpg

Hogue 12"LOP stock and forend
DSC_0970.jpg

Elite tactical safety
DSC_0971.jpg

Marbel Arms tritium sight
The GG&G mount showed today also.
This my basic HD weapon. I think I will go with a velcro side saddle, either a 3Gun or Esstac.

very nice.

Thanks guys. And Lazy that is where I lay my thumb also.
Just a heads up the Marbel sight is on sell at Brownells. You have to add it to your cart to see the sell price, $23.

CeraKote 28" VR Barrel to go with Marinecote Mossy 500

I paid a local vendor to have a Mossy 500 28" VR Barrel coated with a Cerakote Firearm Coating in Graphite Black, Item: H-146Q, CeraKote's most popular satin black. The Mossy 500 Marinecote is a great weather shotgun, but the 18.5" Marinecote barrel is limited for hunting. I will carry the spare barrel. I like the black color better than shinny nickel color.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-146Q/

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Re: CeraKote 28" VR Barrel to go with Marinecote Mossy 500

Very nice; keep us updated on how it turns out and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Re: CeraKote 28" VR Barrel to go with Marinecote Mossy 500

I refinished a barrel for my 835, well the whole gun actually, in Cerakote a while back. It's a great finish.

Post up some pics when it's complete!

So... since I've aquired a 590A1 :D the hogue furniture will be moving from the 500. I've got a wood set that came in the mail yesterday that I'll be refinishing and trying on the 500. I'm in love with the trench gun style (who isn't :lol: ) so I'll be searching for that police style forend (once again...who isn't). So no worries, I won't let this thread die just because I got a big brother to the 500 ;) One thing I noticed is how smooth my broken-in action feels on the 500 compared to the pretty new 590, pretty much night and day!

lol I literally don't know anyone (other than myself) who isn't looking for a Police Style Forend! :p I have the Synthetic one and hate it. I cannot imagine wood being much better but the Nostalgic part is neat

You know its funny... I've had three different forearms on this 500 now... the synthetic ribbed, the Ergo (with various forms of rail covers...AFG2 and now LaRue handstops) and recently the wood (which is just a standard hunting one) And out of all those which one did I find most comfortable (and even shot better with)???? The Wood one :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a learning process I guess :D

Back