• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is ammo coming back???

jgwills said:
Holy moly, Academy near near me had a boat ton of just about everything with the exception of 9mm and .22lr and apparently being outta the loop I didn't know thats all they are still limiting. It was nice to have the option to buy as much as I wanted right off the shelves with no assistance from anyone in just about all calibers.

Did you happen to notice if .357 magnum was available? For some reason, it seems to be one cartridge that continues to be hard to find and/or overpriced. Take care. Tom Worthington

The one near me had plenty of .357 mag on the shelf. It was all 125gr jhp or soft point target loads, but there was plenty of it...

Tom they did have some .357 but I didn't really look at it honestly. I can't remember if it was the real high dollar self defense stuff or just cheap target fodder.

I was mostly zeroing in on the .45 offerings. I did see alot of less common calibers as well. Example was 9x18 for the Makarov. Really surprised me as I wasn't expecting to see that one.

I found a Bass Pro with lots of .22 ammo blocks. It's in Toronto. Upon checking I found that I can't bring any ammo back with me...imagine my dismay :cry: .

I will certainly respect that rule that but it makes me further question the lax border in the southwest.

It sure is different in Canada. The gun counter had a few tactical shotguns, no AR's or hand guns but they did have a nice selection of hunting rifles. The only large cap mag I saw was for Butler Creek for a 10/22 at $40.

Oh well, at least the biggest gun store in PA is between me and home.

I visited 2 Wal-Marts here in San Antonio this weekend. They had several boxes of .40 and .45 in both stores. I also found a box of 100 .357 HP for $56. I bought it. Not sure if it was a good deal at apx. .50/round, but I've not seen any .357 since last year at Wally World so I couldn't help myself.

This shortage seems to have been crisscrossing the country for about a year now. Up until 3 months or so back, I had no problem finding .22lr or .22mag in this area. But now there's nary a box to be found. Other calibers are in stock at several shops, but for some reason the .22 shelves remain bare.

I haven't seen any fresh boxes of 22LR since early January.

Except for maybe a few that were on the shelves with a $9.97 price tag for a little box of 50 that one pawn shop was gouging for.

And I wouldn't guarantee that it was even fresh production. Probably something he had taken in with a pawn gun at one time or another.

On that note, I did pick up a couple boxes of Federal champion 115 gr 9mm for $11.97 a box of 50 at another store the other day just because that was a reasonable price for them.

I can't really recall what that brand was selling for pre December last year because I usually buy in bulk, but I have seen those same bullets listed online for about $19 or $20 a box back early summer and I've seen numerous other ads with cheap Russian steel core 9mm with higher price tags than what I paid for the Fed's.

So I bought about 250 rounds to feed the SMG. They'd last an entire 18 seconds if that gun was a belt fed instead of 36 round stick mags so I may get about 3 minutes out of them :lol:

Pretty much everything is back on the shelves around here except to 9mm and .22lr.

Most everything is priced within reason too. Still hasn't gone back down to pre-insanity prices, but I'm confident that we won't see those prices again...

I wrote to CCI yesterday about the shortage situation and recieved the standard reply that it's because of hoarding. While this is no doubt true, it can be fixed. This was my reply to their reply.

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand that hoarding is the primary reason for the shortage. I attribute this to the various State and Federal statements and laws that have (and continue to be) made and implemented, and that in the end this is primarily a political issue, and a self sustaining vicious circle. Fear of a shortage drives people to hoard, whether it's toilet paper, or firearms and ammo. I don't have a solution for this, other than a faint hope that the politicians will cease and desist in their efforts to infringe on the 2nd Amendment, which seems unlikely given the current climate and the upcoming fight over the UN Arms Trade Treaty.

Good luck to all of us.

I think what's needed to overcome the desire on the part of many people to hoard ammo is a high powered industry marketing campaign imploring people to stop hoarding, as it only plays into the politicians and anti's agenda. They need to lay this directly at the feet of culpable politicians. We need to go on the offensive.

While the avg. Joe and Jane is besieged with ammo shortages and assorted infringements on the 2nd Amendment, it seems there's a shortage of armored cars in Hollywood also. Poor babies. ;)

Publicist Ronni Chasen was waiting at a red light in Beverly Hills in 2010 when she was shot five times through the car's closed passenger window and killed. Christopher Wallace, aka Biggie Smalls, was leaving a party in L.A. when a gunman sprayed the door of the rap star's Suburban with 9 mm bullets, striking Wallace four times and killing him.

The combination of guns, death and the particular vulnerability that a car on a public street presents to stars who are under siege from paparazzi and stalkers hits close to home for many in L.A.'s celebrity culture, where spending lavishly on personal security is a seldom-discussed necessity.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... are-629413

I'd like to have an armored vehicle too.

Only, I want it to be a D9 dozer with room for passengers, gear, and redesigned operator compartment consisting of 1 inch thick AR500 panels and a larger fuel tank.

Since we're day dreaming here, I think a helicopter would even be more ideal.

GunnyGene said:
I think what's needed to overcome the desire on the part of many people to hoard ammo is a high powered industry marketing campaign imploring people to stop hoarding, as it only plays into the politicians and anti's agenda. They need to lay this directly at the feet of culpable politicians. We need to go on the offensive.

I don't see it as reasonable to ask people to stop hoarding with the current political environment, erosion of the Constitution, increased national debt and what we hear from the anti's since Newtown. People are hoarding that never felt the need to have more than one or two bricks of .22 in the past. As most ammo calibers have shown availability improvement in the past few months, .22 will also. It will just take time as people come to have what they feel is an ok quantity on hand. It's probably not a bad thing for the powers that be to know that people are stocking up. Of course we are a "crisis" away from marshal law and suspension of rights, the first of which will be gun and ammo ownership. Get your ammo now.

John A. YouTube crazy bulldozer driver. I cant figure out how to link it with my phone. But thats almost exactly what you described. Sans maybe room for passengers and supplies

Is this the one you referenced?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtX0yNRjRpU[/youtube]

carbinemike said:
GunnyGene said:

I don't see it as reasonable to ask people to stop hoarding with the current political environment, erosion of the Constitution, increased national debt and what we hear from the anti's since Newtown. People are hoarding that never felt the need to have more than one or two bricks of .22 in the past. As most ammo calibers have shown availability improvement in the past few months, .22 will also. It will just take time as people come to have what they feel is an ok quantity on hand. It's probably not a bad thing for the powers that be to know that people are stocking up. Of course we are a "crisis" away from marshal law and suspension of rights, the first of which will be gun and ammo ownership. Get your ammo now.

That's a legitimate position and I can't argue it, except to say I don't think we've seen the last of ammo and firearms shortages and related difficulties, especially given today's signing of the UN ATT and the likelihood that it will be used against us in some fashion. Perhaps to limit the manufacturer's somehow, either legally or by interfering with raw material shipments from outside the US. If you can't bring in what you need, you can't make bullets. Lead for example, but other materials as well, some that aren't mined in the USA at all.

The world's reserve base of lead is estimated at 170 MT. Australia leads with 35% of the world reserve base of lead, followed by China (21%), USA (11%) and Kazakhstan (4%).
Major refined lead producing countries are China, USA and Europe, while major refined lead consuming countries are China, USA and India.
Major refined lead exporting countries are Australia, Germany and Canada, while major refined lead importing countries are USA, United Kingdom and India.

People (especially new owners ) are already primed to snap up as much as can be produced and then some, and as you say we're only one crisis ( or excuse )away. The old dogs like us who were born and raised with firearms are much less likely to panic buy imho. Probably because many of us have been gradually stocking up for years if not decades and already have a garage full, and/or the skills and means to reload our own.

GunnyGene said:
The old dogs like us who were born and raised with firearms are much less likely to panic buy imho. Probably because many of us have been gradually stocking up for years if not decades and already have a garage full, and/or the skills and means to reload our own.

Preaching to the choir brother.

Back