• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Smith & Wesson

My 629 Classic Champion 6,5".
I installed a Wilson Combat Custom-Tune Spring Kit and changed the grip to a hogue.
My favorite ammo is the .44 Magtech (44A)
I love this S&W! :)

37fe34db.jpg

e7a56657.jpg

Oooooh, nice!

That's one helluva sidearm you've got there. I love the non-fluted cylinders on the 629's...

Thank you!

The cylinder was next to the micro blasted finish the reason to take this one. ;)
This morning i'll go to the range and take him with me...

Very nice!

I've always valued having a plinking/training pistol with the same feel as your primary. Helps with overall muscle memory and shooting mechanics. To have one in the exact same platform would be awesome! Congratulations Sir...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Very nice!

I've always valued having a plinking/training pistol with the same feel as your primary. Helps with overall muscle memory and shooting mechanics. To have one in the exact same platform would be awesome! Congratulations Sir...

Thanks! Yea it was my intension on buying the .22 more trigger time on the same platform. I love this little gun! New updated pic, now with stippling and thumb safety removed :mrgreen:
iUfBzpruML83J.jpg

Smith & Wesson

My Smith & Wesson .38 Chiefs Special Model #36 with a 2" barrel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345405439.556595.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1345405439.556595.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 673
AggieSigGuy said:
My Smith & Wesson .38 Chiefs Special Model #36 with a 2" barrel

AggieSigGuy~

If you would like to know what month/year your Model 36 was made, post your s/n with the last few digits as an "x" and I'll look it up.

Is it a 36, a 36-1, 36-2 or what? You'll see that inside the open cylinder crane. I love the Chiefs Special. I've hit 12" gongs at 100 yards shooting them.

AggieSigGuy said:
Serial is BBT64XX.

It says MOD 36-2. What does that mean?

Thanks

Well, I'm no expert but let me delve into your fine Chiefs Special a bit....

The Chiefs Special was first produced in 1957

It was designated the Model 36
beginning with serial number 125000
In 1962 a slight hammer change was made at s/n 295000
In 1966 they changed the thumbpiece from flat to what yours wears

In 1967 the Model 36-1 version came out

It was basically a 3" heavy barrel version
These were produced until the mid-1980s

The Model 36-2 came out in 1988
It had a slightly tapered barrel from the dash-1 heavy barrel and reverted back to a 2" length.
The dash-2 also redesigned and simplified the cylinder yoke retention system

Your S/N was made somewhere between Oct 1988 (beginning with BBT2293) and Feb 1989 (when it changed to BDC000), I'm betting somewhere around Christmas 1988.

For $50 you could ask Smiff and Western for a letter from their Historian of records Roy Jinks which would put an exact date when it shipped from the factory and to which dealer it was sent. All I have to go on is my Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson 2nd which groups s/n by fairly general ranges.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy knowing a little more about your fine revolver!

Since we're talkin' S&W revolvers...here are a few I own:

SWM62944MAGNUMsmall-1-1.jpg

This M629 N-frame is done in stainless steel with a 4" barrel and sports recoil taming Pachmayr grips. S&W introduced the stainless steel version of the Model 29 in 1978.

SWM13357MAGsmaller-1.jpg

This M13 K-frame is an unusual specimen, usually sold blued...it is nickel plated and has a 3" bull barrel. It came with wood grips ( round butt ) which I since swapped for Pachmayrs. This M&P model was introduced by S&W in 1973, and was issued to the FBI before they switched to semi-autos.

Both are pre-lock...

Thanks nitesite. I thought it was a little older than that but the s/n doesnt lie.

My mom carried it for several years. I inherited about 6 years ago and have kept it put away since then.

You are most welcome. Glad to help.

Shooter13,

Isn't a 4-inch N-Frame one of the greatest revolvers ever built? And in a great caliber, your is. Awesome!

Now that 3-inch Model 13, that's a really neat gun. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 3-inch bull barrel round butt K-Frames. Talk about perfect balance in your hand!

Side story: I once owned a Model 10-8 3" HBRB that was pinned. A major gun collector who specialized in S&Ws tracked it down to me all the way from Washington State. He offered me a lot more money for it than I believed it was worth and it's now his. He has a particular fondness for S&W revolvers and especially the M&P and Model 10 and all its many different offerings.

Here's a pic he sent me of my revolver safely at home with it's brothers and sisters, every one of them distinctly different from the next. Mine is fourth row down second from left.

This is just his Model 10 collection. I'm not kidding!

SmithNutModel10s.jpg

Back