• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NSA spying on us through Verizon and others

Re: If you are a Verizon Customer, Read This.. 6/6/13

carbinemike said:
GunnyGene said:
OK, now that's scary! I don't want her protecting my "parts" either!

They may decide you don't need your parts after the NSA computer tags your posts and labels you a threat.

Nobody should be surprised by this, unless they've been living under a rock.

A little history on SigInt: This all started in 1971 with Project Echelon, which is the umbrella project for things like PRISM and its predecessors and cousins. See the names list at the Wikipedia link.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON#Name

NSAWatch: http://www.nsawatch.org/echelonfaq.html .

Wikileaks: http://wlstorage.net/file/crs/RS20444.txt

The technology and capabilities have of course improved considerably since then, and have borne several names over the years. It's not the fact that the various parts of the Gov't (ours and others) have this capability, it's what they might do with it that bothers people. It gets back to the whole trust issue.

Well, the NY Times has backed down. The media has more rot than dead fish and stinks worse for giving these clowns a free pass almost all of the time:

The New York Times edited its damning editorial condemning the Obama administration for collecting phone call data from Americans to make it less stinging shortly after the editorial was published online Thursday afternoon.

The editorial originally declared that the Obama “administration has lost all credibility” as a result of the recently revealed news that the National Security Agency and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have been secretly collecting call data from American users of Verizon under the authority of the Patriot Act.

But hours later the stinging sentence had been modified to read the Obama “administration has now lost all credibility on this issue.”

I walked out and left my phone sitting at home today. I feel strangly.......stealthy.

Unfortunately this is the ONE day this week I actually need it (ot at least some of the contacts stored in it) and I am without.

HA... I knew there was an advantage to not having a phone! :eek:

Yup, you heard right... AK doesn't have a cell phone! Now... we do have a cheapo gophone for traveling... but most of the time AK and family just use the house phone. Take a look around a crowded area next time and pay attention to all the parents on their smartphones not paying attention to what their kids are doing! I just don't have a need to be that connected at all times... I've got internet at home and work... I don't need it strapped to my ass as well.

aksavanaman said:
HA... I knew there was an advantage to not having a phone! :eek:

Yup, you heard right... AK doesn't have a cell phone! Now... we do have a cheapo gophone for traveling... but most of the time AK and family just use the house phone. Take a look around a crowded area next time and pay attention to all the parents on their smartphones not paying attention to what their kids are doing! I just don't have a need to be that connected at all times... I've got internet at home and work... I don't need it strapped to my ass as well.

I shucked off all that sort of thing when I retired 13 years ago. Used to have a pager when I was working, and always wore a watch. My life was ruled by the clock and other peoples agendas.

Now I get up when I wake up, don't wear a watch, and no cell. Go where I feel like, or have a drink, or a meal, or mess around in the shop when I feel like it. No Homeowners Association or City codes to tell me what I can or can't do on my own property. No nosy neighbors that complain about gunfire or chainsaw noise. If I need help with something, I can call any of a dozen friends or relatives with heavy equipment, or just to lend a helping hand.

Retirement is great! :mrgreen:

4th amendment:The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

BHO:
“And if people can’t trust not only the executive branch but also don’t trust Congress and don’t trust federal judges to make sure that we’re abiding by the Constitution, due process and rule of law, then we’re going to have some problems here.”

Well, I guess that we are going to have some problems because I have zero trust in them.

More BHO BS:
“I think it’s important for everybody to understand, and I think the American people understand, that there are some trade-offs involved. You know, I came in with a health[y] skepticism about these programs. My team evaluated them. We scrubbed them thoroughly. We actually expanded some of the oversight, increased some of the safeguards. But my assessment and my team’s assessment was that they help us prevent terrorist attacks,” he said.

“And the modest encroachments on privacy that are involved in getting phone numbers or duration without a name attached and not looking at content – that on, you know, net, it was worth us doing.

“I think, on balance, we – you know, we have established a process and a procedure that the American people should feel comfortable about. But again, this – these programs are subject to congressional oversight and congressional reauthorization and congressional debate. And if there are members of Congress who feel differently, then they should speak up.”

http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/obamas-eye-opening-admission-about-your-calls/

Holy Heck.. he admits that it is a problem if we don't trust our gov't and then puts his own words in our mouths?? I don't trust him, I don't really trust Congress (they have been doing pretty good lately for what could be happening or could have happened) and I really don't trust the "Law" to protect me.... For it and all the above have failed too many for all too long....

How many more years do we HAVE to put up with him if he doesn't get impeached?? 3? ...
If this is what is slipping through the cracks and being leaked... what all is going on that we DON'T know about or hasn't been leaked yet???

^ You usually hear a few farts before a big 'ole turd breaks the surface...

I love reading threads like this, I always think back to Sneakers the movie.

no more secrets

Poopypants said:

no more secrets

That was a good one. Ever see "Eagle Eye"? A little more up to date, tech wise. :p

I think people (the media in particular, but also Congress) are asking the wrong questions.

The nation's top intelligence official is stressing that a previously undisclosed program for tapping into Internet usage is authorized by Congress, falls under strict supervision of a secret court and cannot intentionally target a U.S. citizen.

http://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-chie ... A--;_ylv=3

The right question is: So who or what is the intentional target?

I doubt it's some yet to be discovered 'terrorist' or terrorist plot. Way too much money ($80Billion/year) is being spent on this on the off chance it will catch some raghead planning to blow up a 7-11. The cost/benefit doesn't make sense.

No, I don't buy it. The target has to be worth the expenditure. So what's worth $80 big ones/year? It has to be somehow related to global political/economic power/control on a large scale.

I have no intention of trusting anything from the government, especially obamination and his crew of douches...

GunnyGene said:
Poopypants said:

no more secrets

That was a good one. Ever see "Eagle Eye"? A little more up to date, tech wise. :p
yup... funny thing is the best part is him giving the lady crap about driving a stick, LoL...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ You usually hear a few farts before a big 'ole turd breaks the surface...

I experienced this today.. but not quite in the same manner as you are speaking ;) :lol:
I con only imagine what "turd" could break surface after all this Constitutional Trampling that is going on....

The leaker:

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity. "I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong," he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he provided, he wrote: "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions," but "I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant."

Despite his determination to be publicly unveiled, he repeatedly insisted that he wants to avoid the media spotlight. "I don't want public attention because I don't want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing."

He does not fear the consequences of going public, he said, only that doing so will distract attention from the issues raised by his disclosures. "I know the media likes to personalise political debates, and I know the government will demonise me."

Despite these fears, he remained hopeful his outing will not divert attention from the substance of his disclosures. "I really want the focus to be on these documents and the debate which I hope this will trigger among citizens around the globe about what kind of world we want to live in." He added: "My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

He has had "a very comfortable life" that included a salary of roughly $200,000, a girlfriend with whom he shared a home in Hawaii, a stable career, and a family he loves. "I'm willing to sacrifice all of that because I can't in good conscience allow the US government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they're secretly building."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... rveillance

Young feller probably shouldn't worry too much about being demonized.

He may want to consider what he wants on his tombstone though.

Wouldn't be the first time someone met an untimely end.

Fire/smoke inhalation, vehicle malfunctions, drug overdose, suicide, disappear without a trace.

Take your pick.

Dead man walking.... :(

ripjack13 said:
Dead man walking.... :(

Absolutely... Although, by coming out publicly with his name, people will constantly be trying to get in touch with him. People are going to be watching him... IF and WHEN something happens, someone will notice.

Here's the problem for the NSA.

If he disappears, or is found dead in a ditch, all fingers will point to the NSA, which would cause them even more trouble.

If he's brought back for prosecution, the trial may very well bring out even more stuff they don't want out in the open.

Either way, the political consequences are huge.

Rock, meet hard place.

Back