• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NSA spying on us through Verizon and others

Re: If you are a Verizon Customer, Read This.. 6/6/13

The thing is though, after the patriot act was done, this has been going on.

For more than a decade and in all honesty, probably a lot longer that we didn't know about.

I don't think there are any of us here who didn't already know that. And I'm fairly certain that most all of us knows we're being monitored in every way possible.

The President knew (both Bush and Obama)

Congress and the House knew because they provided funding for it (and a lot of it)

and we'd be kidding ourselves to think that the supreme court didn't know too.

Nothing is going to be done about it because all branches of the government knew and were involved in one way or another.

There will be some who will come out and cry foul very loudly and act like it is big news to them, but it's not going to go any farther than that.

There will probably be some scolding for the public benefit, but that's all.

I'll be completely honest, if you have a computer with a microphone and webcam, or a cellphone especially with Bluetooth, don't be surprised to find out that there are backdoors to them that could turn them on and listen in on your "private" conversations whether the device was "on" or not.

And furthermore, even without power. Most new electronics have an internal battery to keep the memory even if you lose power or take the cell battery out. What else could be powered by the internal battery?

Mark the tape.

Most of the things going on will continue as they have for a few decades. As technology progresses so does the invasiveness of the government. It is a double-edged sword. But it is not the technology or the acts themselves that is reprehensible...it is the distrust and lack of credibility that has built up around the government during all this. They say it is for the betterment of guarding our country...that is true and can't really be argued against. But all this technology in the hands of a twisted and tyrannical government can do far more harm than outside organizations ever could. Instead of using it solely to protect the country it is being used to divide and conquer within...

There's some pretty good spoofs of the spooks on The Guardian. Here's one:

NSA-Kids-books-001.jpg

More here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gallery ... 33&index=0

I am skeptical of this guys encounter... Why go through all the trouble of trying to hide your informants identity, while publicly posting that he is "high level", was in D.C. at such a night and time and then while all this Information Gathering is going on with our Gov't... all but say that you received an electronic message.. because you don't get US mail or carrier pigeon at 2am...

While we all know that there are bigger things going on then this but just not exact specifics.. we don't need to make up a cute 007 story to get the information that we do have public..

Snowden Disappeared!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A contractor at the National Security Agency who leaked details of top-secret U.S. surveillance programs dropped out of sight in Hong Kong on Monday ahead of a likely push by the U.S. government to have him sent back to the United States to face charges.

Edward Snowden, 29, who provided the information for published reports last week that revealed the NSA's broad monitoring of phone call and Internet data from large companies such as Google and Facebook, checked out of his Hong Kong hotel hours after going public in a video released on Sunday by Britain's Guardian newspaper.

The disclosures by Snowden have sent shockwaves across Washington, where several lawmakers called on Monday for the extradition and prosecution of the ex-CIA employee who was behind one of the most significant security leaks in U.S. history.

There were some signs, however, that Snowden's stance against government surveillance and his defense of personal privacy was resonating with at least some Americans.

Supporters flocked to Snowden's aid on the Internet - more than 25,000 people signed an online petition urging Obama to pardon Snowden even before he has been charged. A separate effort on Facebook to raise funds for Snowden's legal defense netted nearly $8,000 in just a few hours.

In Hong Kong, officials were cautious in discussing a spy drama that could entangle U.S.-China relations just a few days after U.S. President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping met at a summit in California where cyber security was a prime topic.

Snowden told the Guardian that he went to Hong Kong in hopes it would be a place where he might be able to resist U.S. prosecution attempts, although the former British colony has an extradition treaty with the United States.

On Monday, some local officials suggested that Snowden might have miscalculated.

"We do have bilateral agreements with the U.S. and we are duty-bound to comply with these agreements. Hong Kong is not a legal vacuum, as Mr. Snowden might have thought," said Regina Ip, a Hong Kong lawmaker and former security secretary.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-whistleblowe ... 37160.html

Hmmm, mysteriously "off the radar"... Could be CIA guy not wanting to get caught so he went underground on his own, OR, what we're all thinking, he got nabbed, is currently being "questioned" and will be found later having suffered a heart attack, or fatal accident, probably alone, in the middle of nowhere... This government really makes me sick.

I see that the US is trying to follow the rules and legal boundaries, at least in the view of the public that is. Whether or not they knew his whereabouts and how to get him before we even knew where he was is questionable.. also whether or not he already has be captured is questionable.

Who do you trust? Apparently not many people trust our current administration.

Why is that? Because they have repeatedly violated that trust. Because they continue to treat us as Guilty until proven innocent (TSA, NSA, DHS, IRS, EPA, FBI, CIA, etc.) . Because the White House condones and encourages that position. Because we are all viewed as 'potential', if not actual, Enemies of the State. . Because Power Corrupts.

GunnyGene said:
Who do you trust? Apparently not many people trust our current administration.Why is that? Because they have repeatedly violated that trust. Because they continue to treat us as Guilty until proven innocent (TSA, NSA, DHS, IRS, EPA, FBI, CIA, etc.) . Because the White House condones and encourages that position. Because we are all viewed as 'potential', if not actual, Enemies of the State. . Because Power Corrupts
Sadly, I don't trust the Republicans much more than the Democrats.

The info. below needs more details. They say the spying prevented attacks. What attacks? Were they planned attacks by US citizens or foreigners? I have no problem with them spying on any person that is not a US citizen. Have at it. If they are US citizens, they need to stay the hell out of our business unless they get a warrant...and not some secret court warrant either or one that ok's spying on everyone. We all knew this was going on. I just hope that the negative attention they are getting will force some changes but I'm not betting a kidney on that happening if you know what I mean.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The director of the National Security Agency says surveillance programs have disrupted or helped disrupt dozens of terrorist attacks.

NSA director Keith Alexander defended the programs at a Senate hearing on Wednesday.

Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont says some details of two cases have been declassified. He pressed Alexander for numbers on other incidents.

Leahy says the intelligence community believes that these surveillance programs are critical, but he adds that he thinks they should not be made permanent and that Congress should be able to review and debate them periodically.

carbinemike said:
Sadly, I don't trust the Republicans much more than the Democrats.

Anyone that stands to make money off of the American people (and lets face it... most of those 535 heads on Captiol Hill got there because of someones wallet) will certainly make biased decision based on who's paying them. Control and power over the American populas is the end goal here folk... and it's only going to get worse because everyone is seemingly blind, naive or ignorant to the fact that we have allowed our Governemnt to treat us like criminals, invade our privacy and encroach on our ever dwindeling rights.

And this crosses party lines guys... most of this NSA scandal is possible because of the Patriot Act (Which if you didn't know was sigend under Bush Jr.), and really doesn't matter who is in charge, we have let things go unchecked for quite some time and it really doesn't surprise me. Educate those you can, rely a little less on technology and instill some values in your family... maybe we'll be able to turn things around...

Sensenbrenner (who originally introduced the Patriot Act) has this to say about what's going on:

Representative Jim Sensenbrenner, who introduced the PATRIOT Act on the House floor in 2001, has declared that lawmakers’ and the executive branch’s excuses about recent revelations of NSA activity are “a bunch of bunk.”

In an interview on Laura Ingraham’s radio show Wednesday morning, the Republican congressman from Wisconsin reiterated his concerns that the administration and the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court have gone far beyond what the PATRIOT Act intended. Specifically, he said that Section 215 of the act “was originally drafted to prevent data mining” on the scale that’s occurred.

Sensenbrenner, the current chairman on the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations, suggested that the secret nature of the FISA court has prevented appropriate congressional oversight over the NSA’s activities.

When asked whether he agreed with those in Washington calling leaker Edward Snowden a traitor, Sensenbrenner responded, “No, I don’t agree,” and said that he would not have known the extent of abuse by the FISA court and the NSA without Snowden’s disclosures.

The congressman has earlier said he believes the PATRIOT Act needs to be amended to protect Americans’ privacy.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/35 ... -grudnicki

It should also be noted that full on cyberwar has been going on for some time. And it's not just the US v. China. It's all against all.

This weekend, U.S. President Barack Obama sat down for a series of meetings with China's newly appointed leader, Xi Jinping. We know that the two leaders spoke at length about the topic du jour -- cyber-espionage -- a subject that has long frustrated officials in Washington and is now front and center with the revelations of sweeping U.S. data mining. The media has focused at length on China's aggressive attempts to electronically steal U.S. military and commercial secrets, but Xi pushed back at the "shirt-sleeves" summit, noting that China, too, was the recipient of cyber-espionage. But what Obama probably neglected to mention is that he has his own hacker army, and it has burrowed its way deep, deep into China's networks.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/06
/10/inside_the_nsa_s_ultra_secret_china_hacking_group

I guess it stands to reason that if the NSA will shed the Constitution then telling lies to Congress is no big deal. I also find it interesting that while he was telling his lies, many in Congress knew about the program and that he was spreading his B.S.

In March 2012, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga, questioned Alexander in response to a Wired.com article that month quoting several ex-NSA staffers describing phone and data surveillance of Americans.

Following is a transcript of the relevant parts of the exchange, which took place during a budget hearing of the Emerging Threats and Capabilities Subcommittee of the Armed Services Committee:

JOHNSON: Does the NSA routinely intercept American citizens’ emails?

ALEXANDER: No.

JOHNSON: Does the NSA intercept Americans’ cell phone conversations?

JOHNSON: Google searches?

JOHNSON: Text messages?

JOHNSON: Amazon.com orders?

JOHNSON: Bank records?

JOHNSON: What judicial consent is required for NSA to intercept communications and information involving American citizens?

ALEXANDER: Within the United States, that would be the FBI lead. If it were a foreign actor in the United States, the FBI would still have to lead. It could work that with NSA or other intelligence agencies as authorized. But to conduct that kind of collection in the United States it would have to go through a court order, and the court would have to authorize it. We’re not authorized to do it, nor do we do it.

I just spent an hour on the phone with AT&T tech support trying to figure out why I couldn't access my email. Finally they figured out they had a technical problem on their end. Coincidence? Or is the NSA screwing around? ;) :mrgreen:

Gunny is on the "A" list now. They probably kept you on the phone while the voice recognition software added your speech profile to the data bank along with your garden picture from MO! :lol:

carbinemike said:
Gunny is on the "A" list now. They probably kept you on the phone while the voice recognition software added your speech profile to the data bank along with your garden picture from MO! :lol:

Oh, CRAP! I forgot about that pic! :lol: And judging from the girls accent she was in Pakistan! I'm totally screwed now. :shock:

Intersting article on CNET: The Shadow Factory:

James Bamford, in his 2008 book "The Shadow Factory," described Internet service providers' participation in President Bush's now-reshaped warrantless wiretapping program as:

For decades, AT&T and much of the rest of the telecommunications industry have had a very secret, very cozy relationship with the NSA... [NSA Director Michael Hayden] succeeded in gaining the secret cooperation of nearly all of the nation's telecommunications giants for his warrantless eavesdropping program. Within a year, engineers were busy installing highly secret, heavily locked rooms in key AT&T switches, among them Bridgeton, New York City, and the company's major West Coast central office in San Francisco. From then on the data -- including both address information and content -- would flow through the PacketScopes directly to the NSA.

Other reports have suggested that the NSA uses metadata, which would include phone numbers, IP addresses, and e-mail addresses, to determine which person's communications to intercept. Once that task is complete, and legal process is satisfied, the taps at AT&T and other Internet providers would be used to target that person for heightened surveillance.

Heightening speculation about undisclosed NSA surveillance activities was what Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.) said after attending a classified briefing Wednesday.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589 ... veillance/

Back